Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We copied an aftermarket cam and had nissan install it and fked up our car

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 02:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 862 Likes on 613 Posts

LOL. Nope all GM here.

It just pisses me off people that say **** that they don't have all the facts on.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
LOL. Nope all GM here.

It just pisses me off people that say **** that they don't have all the facts on.
Ahhh, o well.. Tried to make an educated guess on what I knew.

Kind of like I did in this thread, as well as others.

I was wrong, just like I may or may not be on this subject as well.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 862 Likes on 613 Posts

Tru tru.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to do a careful post-mortem on the motor to try and figure out what happened. You also need to determine if the short block can be salvaged. I would suggest you make sure the cam is clean and re-install in the motor so you can take measurements for pushrod length, etc. These are things that should have been done the first time but likely were not. From this information you can try to find the culprit. I would also take a file and drag it across a couple of lobes of the cam. If it scratches then the cam may not have been properly hardened. That being the case take it to a machine shop and have it checked further. You need to gather some information to determine what happened so it can be prevented on the next installation.

Questioning your having it installed at a Nissan dealership at this point doesn't help.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06tx4.8
, what was the PR length?
To tell you the truth, it's been several years and I don't remember.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Pushrod length was not checked, we just bought what was a good recomended ballpark for us by the person we talked to.
A another important factor is that it was actually a COPIED cam, we took a real Texas speed cam and a stock cam to a machinist, and the stock cam got a regrind, which is the cam that got destroyed and CANT be used any more. Does it matter that it was a regrind???
Also, it's a coworkers car at the Nissan dealership I work at, and 3 coworkers have LS1 cars with TONS of experience. I still don't understand how this happened, even if pushrod length was wrong, how could that destroy the cam?? Don't make sense....
Old 06-06-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SIKZ31
Pushrod length was not checked, we just bought what was a good recomended ballpark for us by the person we talked to.
A another important factor is that it was actually a COPIED cam, we took a real Texas speed cam and a stock cam to a machinist, and the stock cam got a regrind, which is the cam that got destroyed and CANT be used any more. Does it matter that it was a regrind???
Also, it's a coworkers car at the Nissan dealership I work at, and 3 coworkers have LS1 cars with TONS of experience. I still don't understand how this happened, even if pushrod length was wrong, how could that destroy the cam?? Don't make sense....
Are you ******* serious man? You went about this all wrong.

I'm done with this thread. Good luck and I hope you get everything figured out, sorry for the blown money.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1SIKZ31
measuring a pushrod is pretty damn important. if they did have "tons of experience" they would know that something like pushrod length is the link that connects your cam to your valves. too short and your valves obviously dont open all the way, too long and you'll add a great deal of stress on the lifter and pushrod, and by your first post, i'd lean towards the latter.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first people stealing mp3's now ms3's!!!!!
Old 06-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Launching!

damn how did you put a regrind in a car with stock lifters and stock pushrods or whatever... how did you make up the lash for the smaller base circle (regrind removes material from the cam base circle to make the lobe bigger)?
Old 06-06-2010, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

this thread is an example of what not to do
Old 06-06-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How do you know he didn't go through the case hardening on the cam during the regrind? This is probably your problem and this installation was doomed from the start. The other unfortunate thing is that your title states a Texas Speed cam got destroyed which reflects poorly on TSP and they in fact are not even involved in this as its not their cam. Also, copying the property rights of TSP by copying their cam likely has other implications.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Teching In

At the very least, you owe TSP an apology, in my opinion.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Launching!

yeah title shoulda read .. "We copied a texas speed cam and had nissan install it and fucked up our car"..
Old 06-06-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This thread is full of win.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

man this feels like honda civic forums with half assed **** goin on... did you take an old coat hanger, twist it up, then make new valve springs out of it??? then call them comp 918's and complain they broke?

Put half *** in.... get broken half *** out. cams are cheap, why would you want to copy something so cheap and then take the chance to destroy an entire motor by possibly dropping a valve... Whats even worse is you get a cheap copied cam and then cant spring to measure for the correct pushrod length with the money saved... tragic..
Old 06-06-2010, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by arwokc
at the very least, you owe tsp an apology, in my opinion.
this.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Damian
Just a small note, being ASE certified means absolutely nothing. I know ASE certified mechanics who couldn't distinguish their *** from another hole in the ground when it came to performance work. It's a different type of trade.

What length pushrod was used?
Was preload checked?
What TQ spec was used?

Too many variables to blame it on the lifters just yet.
I agree. Plus you said at a Nissan dealership. You should have took it to someone who knows these LSX engines and has worked on them before. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

To the OP:

I think you figured out why **** went wrong. No offense, but everything that was done was simply half-assed. How you modified the parts, where the install was done, how the install was done, how no one checked the install if it was done correctly, etc.

Add all of this up and I'm surprised the motor even lasted 1 minute of running time.

If you don't want to learn from this and take our advice, then good luck on your next build.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Im just posting this thread for a coworker but I see where you guys are coming from... I apologize to TSP for this thread, I shoulda said aftermarket regrind instead of tsp. He went ahead and bought a NEW cam and ls7 lifters... No idea on his plans but good luck to him.
Thanks for the help guys and again I apologize.

Quick Reply: We copied an aftermarket cam and had nissan install it and fked up our car