Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pan removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil Pan removal

my buddy has an 01 ws6 m6 and needs to change his oil pan gasket. whats the easiest way to get that thing out? i had the local shop print out instructions but they involve removing the cradle mounts and dropping the whole k member. is it even possible to do it another way? or is there an easier way?
Old 06-16-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You have to drop the K-member to get the pan out.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:34 PM

i believe that since you have gone tubular...thanks. any big headaches to look for or time saving tips?
Old 06-16-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

grab an engine lift and raise up the motor. you should be able to get just enough clearance to get it out. You may have to break the tranny loose as well to get the clearance.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Taspeed
grab an engine lift and raise up the motor. you should be able to get just enough clearance to get it out. You may have to break the tranny loose as well to get the clearance.
I got to do the same thing today. So your saying get a engine hoist and remove the motor mount nuts and raise the motor up and should have enough room?
Old 09-11-2010, 09:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is how I did mine. Jack the car up by the k-member and put jackstands under the subframes on each side. Next, I take two longer bolts and screw one in the head where the EGR used to be then I remove the upper left bolt to the power steering pump bracket and use my other longer bolt. Any other points are up to you. These work great for me.

Next, I hook the engine hoist to those bolts and raise the engine enough to pull the motor mount bolts out. After theye are out you can raise the engine up. The intake needs to be or almost be touching the cowl.

After you've done that, pull the front wheels off and take the front k-member bolts completely out and screw them back in about 5-6 turns. Now remove the other 4 k-member bolts and lower the k-member. Your front bolts allow the k-member to tilt down on the back side which will allow the pan to slide out without issue.

Now, loosen the oil pan bolts and slide it out. Installation is reverse of removal. Takes me maybe 3-4hrs to, but I'm very OCD when it comes to cleaning surfaces for gaskets.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blue98Z
This is how I did mine. Jack the car up by the k-member and put jackstands under the subframes on each side. Next, I take two longer bolts and screw one in the head where the EGR used to be then I remove the upper left bolt to the power steering pump bracket and use my other longer bolt. Any other points are up to you. These work great for me.

Next, I hook the engine hoist to those bolts and raise the engine enough to pull the motor mount bolts out. After theye are out you can raise the engine up. The intake needs to be or almost be touching the cowl.

After you've done that, pull the front wheels off and take the front k-member bolts completely out and screw them back in about 5-6 turns. Now remove the other 4 k-member bolts and lower the k-member. Your front bolts allow the k-member to tilt down on the back side which will allow the pan to slide out without issue.

Now, loosen the oil pan bolts and slide it out. Installation is reverse of removal. Takes me maybe 3-4hrs to, but I'm very OCD when it comes to cleaning surfaces for gaskets.
Good bit of info to know if i come to that. Im going to try to loosen all the oil pan bolts and timing cover bolts and do the proper way to align the pan and cover maybe thats were my leak is coming from. If not ill be using your method of the pan removal

well the gasket was ripped into so ill start the oil pan removal in just a few minutes. Do i need to undo the struts also? And steering going to be loosened?

Last edited by kevins2000LS1; 09-12-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:39 AM
Staging Lane

im doing this right now to!!!! here is a good thread i found that may help you if you dont have a cherry picker!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...an-gasket.html

and
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-write-up.html

Quick Reply: Oil Pan removal