Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken arp crank bolt

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jerflash
when i put mine on i put it on the crank snout, laid a piece of 2x4 across it and gave it a few wacks to seat it on farther on the snout and straight.
I personally wouldn't smack the front of my crank with a hammer, but to each their own
Old 06-21-2010, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

did i say i smacked it? i tapped it on with not much force at all. just to seat it on there so there was more for the bolt to grab on to...maybe tapped it on 1/4-3/8s
Old 06-21-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jerflash
did i say i smacked it? i tapped it on with not much force at all. just to seat it on there so there was more for the bolt to grab on to...maybe tapped it on 1/4-3/8s
No, you said whacked, but in the end I guess anyone reading can make up their own mind if they are comfortable doing it, so, disregard.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

sorry for using the wrong terminology lol.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jim_PA
You don't need to use anything to push it on if you heat it up (in my experience anyway...). I used a propane torch on mine for maybe 30 seconds max at a relatively low setting, picked it up by the pulley end with my bare hands, and it easily slid on, and made a very positive "clank" when it bottomed out.

I imagine if you over-do it, you could burn the seal???

I haven't torqued the new bolt yet, still weighing my options.

I second the motion that ls1howto is a little dangerous, and I'm an LS noob!
sweet... hopefully i'll get the same results with my hot air gun.

if only i'd known about ls1howto before hand. majority of the time i only used it for the torque specs cause i had done most of the stuff before. unfortunately, being a front cover noob f'ed my couch.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would not heat the damper to install. The correct tool is what is required.

The ARP bolt is a hardened material. Without going into details, it breaking is not a surprise. You will need to make a tool to keep a drill bit centered if you are going to drill it out. I wouldn't attempt this without a jig to center the bit, at least for the pilot hole. I would call ARP and get a recommendation on the type of bit to get, but a standard drill bit won't work.

The damper is an interference fit and requires some force to push it into place. It must also be seated hard against the oil drive gear.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trick I use is to apply a SMALL amount of anti-seize to the crank snout.
My crank is keyed and I use an ARP bolt, and a small amount of blue locktite.
Buy a long starter bolt if necessary too. I'd have to go back and check, but when I called ARP, they recommended 225ftlb torque on the crank, not the 240 everyone advertises. I put mine in about 230 previously and no problems.

Replace your crank. I don't see you getting that broke bolt out, especially if its cross threaded or stuck in there.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I would not heat the damper to install. The correct tool is what is required.

The ARP bolt is a hardened material. Without going into details, it breaking is not a surprise. You will need to make a tool to keep a drill bit centered if you are going to drill it out. I wouldn't attempt this without a jig to center the bit, at least for the pilot hole. I would call ARP and get a recommendation on the type of bit to get, but a standard drill bit won't work.

The damper is an interference fit and requires some force to push it into place. It must also be seated hard against the oil drive gear.
i talked to a guy that used to do machine work for 20+ years that suggested how i should do it. granted i don't have access to the same equipment, so it's been a PITA.
i still plan on getting one of the tools for the pulley install so i'll take your word for it about not heating it up. seems like everyone has an opinion on it but i don't wanna break anything else.

Replace your crank. I don't see you getting that broke bolt out, especially if its cross threaded or stuck in there.
just like vettenuts said, the pulley fits on the crank tight so if i just tap the nose of the crank and use a shorter bolt it will surely hold until i need to do bottom end work.
if i'm gonna do bottom end work i might as well make it forged since i plan on doing forced induction later on. if i get just a new crank i'd still have to get my bearings machined so it would still end up costing a lot.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Teching In

I would reccomend using an old torque to yeild bolt to install it while lightly heating the dampner being careful not to heat it too much. If you have access to dry ice use it to "shrink" the crank snout a little would also help. At work we use liquid nitrogen to shrink pins and bushings to get them in with no damage. Just my 2 cents
Old 12-24-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I would NOT recommend any other way then the correct tool. I believe Hawk is MIA, but Dirtrackracer is making some nice ones now-a-days. He has a thread in the tool section. This info is for anyone who is searching.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by phdraperinc
i accomplished what few have managed to do, break an arp crank bolt.
It happens a lot more than you'd think
Old 12-25-2010, 02:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have heard of them backing out as well. I have about 10 miles on mine so we'll see what happens Nothing like a little suspense thrown into the mix.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

i heated my pulley with a small propane torch, just the center hub, and it was the best pulley install ever. I could even hold the pulley on the outside without gloves. slid on without any tools and then torqued it down. My only concern was the front seal... but when that pulley slides on the crank it locks down almost instantly on the crank as the heat transfer is very fast. Of course i didnt get the pulley extremely hot just enough to slide right on. Seal is still fine 5 months later. This is how i will do it from now on... its just nice, fast and easy. Im sure a lot of people would frown upon it but by the time they are still setting up their install tool im on my way to the track haha
Old 12-25-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jim_PA
You don't need to use anything to push it on if you heat it up (in my experience anyway...). I used a propane torch on mine for maybe 30 seconds max at a relatively low setting, picked it up by the pulley end with my bare hands, and it easily slid on, and made a very positive "clank" when it bottomed out.

I imagine if you over-do it, you could burn the seal???

I haven't torqued the new bolt yet, still weighing my options.

I second the motion that ls1howto is a little dangerous, and I'm an LS noob!
LOL exactly!! We did the same thing to the T even down to picking it up with bare hands... thats funny! I didnt see this post when i posted. you can definitely feel and hear the pulley bottom out on the crank. I was actually very surprised how easy it slid on and i heard it clank... I was only hoping for the pulley to slide on about a 1/2 inch so i could tighten it with the stock bolt. but no need for that nonsense!
Old 12-25-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I would NOT recommend any other way then the correct tool. I believe Hawk is MIA, but Dirtrackracer is making some nice ones now-a-days. He has a thread in the tool section. This info is for anyone who is searching.
No I am backup and running, with tools on hand ready to go. Let me know if I can help.

Chris
Old 12-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Banned

Proper way to heat it would be in your oven for 20 mins at 200 degrees. Should slip right on then and it wont damage the walrus.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heating upthe balancer is the easiest and most efficient way of getting the balancer on. No worry of breaking bolts, going on crooked, stripping threads, etc. Heat the balancer in an over for about 20 mins. I normally set the oven at the lowest temp or use a propane torch and heat the hub completely around for roughly 25-30 seconds. It will slide right on. No way to screw it up.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Whos friggin oven goes to 200 degrees? None I have ever seen.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:01 AM
Banned

just looked at my Kenmore and it goes drom 170 to 550, unless you are thinking micro wave oven??????
Old 12-26-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well damn Ima have to go fiddle with the one in the kitchen just to see. Just hope that no ones old lady catches you with car parts in her Whirlpool

Quick Reply: broken arp crank bolt