Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We got pictures. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We got pictures. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really need some help.

Had to clearence this to make the rockers fit. The lifter on the left has the stock pushrod length and is sitting below where the valve cover seal rail used to be. The one on the right has an adjustable pushrod set at the minimum length to clear the head.

As you can see, the longer pushrod would cause the rocker to sit on the outside of the valve stem while the clearenced, stock pushrod would run pretty much centered.

Has anyone had to clearence the heads to get rockers to fit? How do you get your valve covers to seal.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they sell Valve Cover Spacers this is the link

http://speed-eng.com/store/umi-ls1ls...l?osCsid=46fbc
Old 06-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Launching!

I had to do the same thing with my Harlan Sharp roller rockers.I also removed the baffling in both valve covers.Ive had them on for a yr now with no problems/leaks.You'll be ok.This was done on a 5.3 and 706 heads.Mike
Old 06-21-2010, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by 09camaro383
they sell Valve Cover Spacers this is the link

http://speed-eng.com/store/umi-ls1ls...l?osCsid=46fbc
I didn't clearence them becuase of the valve covers. I clearenced them becuase they were hitting the head where the seals go.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Regular

Ok I see now!! I think that's the only thing you can do!! but also seen people file the rockers a hair!!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

These are stud mounted rockers. How much preload did you set on the left rocker? It is too high as the pattern is too far towards the exhaust side of the valve stem. The one of the right is way off. These are not like stock rockers, the pushrod length sets both lifter preload and wipe pattern so pushrod length is critical.

Don't grind the rockers!!!!! You may need to take a little off the head to get them to clear. You will also have to clearance the valve covers unless you get aftermarket or use spacers.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by vettenuts
These are stud mounted rockers. How much preload did you set on the left rocker? It is too high as the pattern is too far towards the exhaust side of the valve stem. The one of the right is way off. These are not like stock rockers, the pushrod length sets both lifter preload and wipe pattern so pushrod length is critical.

Don't grind the rockers!!!!! You may need to take a little off the head to get them to clear. You will also have to clearance the valve covers unless you get aftermarket or use spacers.
They are set to zero lash plus 1/2 turn. I need to get the lifters pumped up and then check again. I think the stock pushrods are still a little too long.

I've already clearenced the heads and assembled the motor. Ordering valve covers today. We'll see how far they have to be clearenced.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need a new set of 918s as well, yours are rusted to crap.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
You need a new set of 918s as well, yours are rusted to crap.
918's? You mean the springs? Those are brand new comps. I was stupid and washed the heads with a pressure washer after I clearenced them but lubricated them directly afterward.

That is just flash rust....no big deal.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Those are some good pictures for a Canon Powershot!!
Old 06-22-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by darkvette
They are set to zero lash plus 1/2 turn. I need to get the lifters pumped up and then check again. I think the stock pushrods are still a little too long.

I've already clearenced the heads and assembled the motor. Ordering valve covers today. We'll see how far they have to be clearenced.
1/2 turn should be about 0.066" preload. There is a way to check wipe while determining pushrod requirements, but you need check springs. You use the stud depth to determine rocker height then measure. Its a bit messy but works well.

Also, not sure if you mean true stock pushrod but if you do they will not work. You need hardened pushrods to run with guide plates or you will have problems very soon.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was stupid and washed the heads with a pressure washer
I agree.

That is just flash rust....no big deal.
I disagree, dont blame the springs if they break on you..... Valvesprings should be handled with extreme care. In reality you should even wear gloves when you touch them to keep your bare finger from touching them, the oils in your skin can rust them.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by vettenuts
1/2 turn should be about 0.066" preload. There is a way to check wipe while determining pushrod requirements, but you need check springs. You use the stud depth to determine rocker height then measure. Its a bit messy but works well.

Also, not sure if you mean true stock pushrod but if you do they will not work. You need hardened pushrods to run with guide plates or you will have problems very soon.
I'm not sure I understand the stud depth method. I've always used a sharpie to mark the valve stems and then rolled it over to see where it leaves a mark.

These are not stock pushrods. They are 7.4" but they are manley, single piece, hardened 5/16.

As for the rust, I think you're smokin something if your can't touch them with your hands. I sprayed some WD on them, wiped them off, and the rust is no longer there.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
Those are some good pictures for a Canon Powershot!!
I'm not sure I got that one.