Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What lobes did this cam have? Specs?
Old 06-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Hardtop
What lobes did this cam have? Specs?
XFI lobes. Specs are 226/232 .610 .608 111LSA

Certainly glad I held onto all the stock parts off the car. Looks like it's back to being slow(er) for a while.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by importhater81
Over the past couple of years,cam and lifter failures such as the OP's seem to be more and more frequent. I've seen it multiple times on LS vehicles with stock cams and lifters.

I'm starting to believe it might have something to do with the lack of additives that were present in years past in today's oils.

Rotella is the only oil I'm aware of that still incorporates Zinc and Phosphorus as additives.
They don't have as much as they used to because of catalytic converters, but most oils still have Zinc and Phosphorous.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf (15.7 KB, 159 views)
Old 06-28-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

my stock cam had one lobe messed up and the lifter looked like it had a cut on it. i thought rotella took alot of the zinc out of there additive
Old 06-29-2010, 04:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You need to pull all the valve springs and check them against the specification for them. Did you have enough seat force with the setup you have in the car? What springs were used and what was the installed height?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled an aftermarket cam with +-5,000 miles on it that had a lobe like this. It didn't make any noise and ran great. I only found out it was messed up after I pulled it to swap in something else. I always assumed it was a lifter faliure but now I'm rethinking that.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vettenuts
You need to pull all the valve springs and check them against the specification for them. Did you have enough seat force with the setup you have in the car? What springs were used and what was the installed height?
Haven't inspected the valve springs yet, but I plan to do that soon enough. I'm suspecting either I should've a.) measured PR length when I did the camshaft (did it in a weekend when I was still in school/working full time so I didn't have time to wait around for pushrods on my daily, live and learn though) or b.) the old lifter trays started going bad (ordered LS2/LS7 lifter tray replacements). Car is going back to completely stock internals for a while until I save up money for a cam/heads package. Thanks for all the input guys!!

Quick Reply: Mmm Cam/lifter carnage omnomnomnom