Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 Cam suggestions...dont wanna go to big! (hard to believe I know)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6.0 Cam suggestions...dont wanna go to big! (hard to believe I know)

Like the title says I'm looking for advice on a cam to put in the lq4 I will be getting for my transam. Funny part is I'm more worried about going to big, I really like the vindicator and ms4 cams but I have been told by a few people that because of the lower compression in the lq4 compared to lq9 I might be better off getting something a bit smaller.

The car has stock heads from my 99 346 cu. (241's i believe, correct me if im wrong please) will have ls6 intake, 4k stall, 3.73 gears. Already have dual gold springs and 7.4 pushrods from my cam setup in the current motor and only about 3k miles on them or so.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, the car is a DD/weeknd warrior, however I dont really mind losing a lil drivability to have a nasty combo. The cam that was in the car was a custom spec 231/235 on a 111+4 lsa and it didnt perform like we were hoping so would like to possibly go a little bigger since the bigger motor, unless you guys have a better suggestion.

So please ALL suggestions welcome I want to have as many options to consider as possible, as of now I like the ms4, vindicator, an also the lg5x4 or x3 but they seem hard to find used and Im not paying $500 for a cam from them new.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock heads are 853, well thats what I had on my 99. Look for a used set of 243's, and just put the associated valvetrain for the cam onto those heads. They will bump up compression. As far as custom cams go, talk to Pat G. He can spec smaller cams make GREAT numbers.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pat G is actually the person who did my previous cam and I was not happy with the result. Not saying in any way that he does not put out great combos, I have seen the numbers and proof, however because of my previous results if I decide to go custom spec again I will be having Geoff at EPS do it. However I am still open to ideas as far as off the shell cams go too.

:edit: also thank you for the correction on the heads I will keep my eyes out for some 243's
Old 06-29-2010, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

I hear great things about Geoff as well. That would be a second pick, and if not Geoff, PredZ.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the input....still definetley considering a custom spec...but budget is tight so might consider a used ms3 or 4 or something like that as well. Any other suggestions?
Old 06-29-2010, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

Make sure you get all the associated valvetrain as well, or make sure the stuff you have now will hold up to the new cam. I honestly don't cheap out and buy used in that area, but if your stuff will work with the new cam, that will be nice. Used heads, yea. What about exhaust set ups? Used can be fine for that as well, just as long as you get good pics to see that they aren't rusted or dinged up and ****. Might as well do motor mounts and trans mount while your at it.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:38 PM
MASS seller approved

you can buy LS3 heads for 800 shipped new right now and then have someone spec you a cam
Old 06-29-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a custom cam only cost $25 more than a off the shelf cam.you can get a set of 243s for $400 on ls vette forum.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

Those two posts right there are damn nice bits of info. I forgot custom is still not a bad price, and I didn't know ls3 heads were going for that. Not bad at all.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow thanks guys will def. keep all that in mind. I already have Lt's and full exhaust I probably should hav mentioned that. I know the custom spec isnt much more than a new one...if I end up buying new then I will definetley go with a custom spec from EPS but I was referring more if I can find a low mile one for sale on here since I usually see a bunch for sale in the 200 250 dollar range. But if I cant find what I want than I will bite the bullet and drop the 400 bucks to have something I KNOW is gonna work and is brand new.

How important would you guys say it is to switch over to the 243s over the 853's? Like I said money is really tight so the less I NEED to buy the better. But I could understand doing it now and saving having to tune it more than once.

What do you guys think I would see out of something like l92 heads and a vic jr intake with an elbow and an eps cam over say 243's and a ls6 intake and a cam? I've seen a few good deals on here but again the budget will be the decideing factor.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

tuning in to see how this goes, sounds similar to what i want to do
Old 06-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Launching!

The 243's will flow much better, TSP 2.5 5.3 heads are a good affordable choice and they will bump your compression on the LQ4. Just watch your ptv when you put those heads on with the bigger cams. Flycutting may be in your future, especially if you mill the heads.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

I'm watchin.... let us know what you do
Old 06-29-2010, 11:38 PM
11 Second Club

What justus67 said...if a mild cam or so, stage 2.5 5.3 heads will be nice with the compression bump. But if a larger cam, if you want something almost as large as mine, then 243s are a great choice. Even stock 243's, non ported, with a good cam will see a 15+ hp gain from what I have seen around here. I never ran my 242/248 with stock 853 vs the 243's though, so idk first hand experience.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I've been in touch with a guy here in chicago that I think I am gonna pick up an lq4 with low miles from. He also has a set of 241 heads as well as a set of ported 862's that he is willing to sell along with the shortblock. He said the 862's should bump the motor to almost 11:1 compression and be good for n/a or nitrous so I was wondering what is all your take on this?

As of now I am thinking of picking up this shortblock, possibly with either the 862's or 241's depending on what kind of deal I can make. Then doing either a custom spec cam unless I can find an ms3 with lower miles here or on another forum. How does this sound so far to you guys? Also picking up a ls6 intake and ported tb as part of the shortblock deal and FINALLY ditching my ls1 intake.

He also asked if I would be interested in the head gaskets and head studs he also has for sale. Now my question is do you think any of these will be needed or am I ok for now with taking the ones off of my motor since I had pretty low miles?
I also plan on picking up some bigger injectors and an slp or ls6 oil pump as a little insurance.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Also the guy with the shortblock owns a shop in woodstock and even offered to flycut the pistons for me if I wanna run a big cam....think I should take him up on that?
Old 06-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Do you have ARP studs/bolts? If you don't DO NOT RE-USE THE STOCK ONES! All the stock bolts are torque to yield. If you re-use them they will break.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blknight6989
Also the guy with the shortblock owns a shop in woodstock and even offered to flycut the pistons for me if I wanna run a big cam....think I should take him up on that?
depends on the price man.. but yes would be a nice thing to do why you have it apart, and you just need some good heads man you will make alot more power if you do... 241s on a LQ9 i could just see now how much power you are losing with that. Im running trickflow 215s on texas giant.. makes 505 and 478tq drives nice as a dd. But im on a 6 speed also.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Justus67
Do you have ARP studs/bolts? If you don't DO NOT RE-USE THE STOCK ONES! All the stock bolts are torque to yield. If you re-use them they will break.
No I do not so maybe I will grab those from him as well. Thank you for the heads up.

Originally Posted by justinj
depends on the price man.. but yes would be a nice thing to do why you have it apart, and you just need some good heads man you will make alot more power if you do... 241s on a LQ9 i could just see now how much power you are losing with that. Im running trickflow 215s on texas giant.. makes 505 and 478tq drives nice as a dd. But im on a 6 speed also.
I would definetley love to put a nice set of heads on but it is just simply not in the budget at all. Just last week I basically had a trade worked out for a bike plus cash and jsut recently was offered some money to help me fix it and pay them back so this isnt a no budget build unfortunatley. What do you think about the ported set of 862's if i can get a deal on them with the motor?
Old 06-30-2010, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blknight6989
No I do not so maybe I will grab those from him as well. Thank you for the heads up.

I would definetley love to put a nice set of heads on but it is just simply not in the budget at all. Just last week I basically had a trade worked out for a bike plus cash and jsut recently was offered some money to help me fix it and pay them back so this isnt a no budget build unfortunatley. What do you think about the ported set of 862's if i can get a deal on them with the motor?
I have no clue on the flow rate of the 862's but anything is better then the stocks.. they hold you back soo much. hope some one will read this and give you better advice.

Quick Reply: 6.0 Cam suggestions...dont wanna go to big! (hard to believe I know)