Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam swap help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't sound like that big of a cam at all to me.. My cam is smaller than that and sounds "better" I guess you could say.. idk though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-K486gLskc
Old 07-04-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^ That actually sounds like it has a good size cam in it.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtm2085
What about the sound of the cam over all? Would any one else agree that it does not sound like a 233/239? I am wondering if TSP some how got the cam mixed up with another. It is idling at 800rpms and I can not hear any lope at all.

It does idle smooth for the a cam with those specs.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

That lifter noise is not normal. I just started mine yesterday after a cam swap and the lifter noise quieted down after about 3 minutes.
Also, my car idled when I started it initially, but after I put it in gear for the first time it killed. It keeps killing anytime the load changes.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell that your pr's are too short. As soon as i heard it start up on the video it reminded me of my cam swap. We tried to use the factory 7.4 length pr and after measuring it decided we needed a .100 bigger pr!!! Mine had no lope to it before we changed pr's. Once you get the correct size pr in your motor, then your cam will sound like it's supposed to. I'm not saying that you'll need .100 bigger pr, i'm just saying that the pr's in your motor are too short. Measure and make sure. Hope this helps.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't know having push rods that are too short would cause a cammed car to have no lope. I just ran across this thread but I assume this is you Josh? This is Adam, hope you get everything figured out. Did you call TSP by any chance and ask about PR length with this cam?
Old 07-05-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS-Sick
I didn't know having push rods that are too short would cause a cammed car to have no lope. I just ran across this thread but I assume this is you Josh? This is Adam, hope you get everything figured out. Did you call TSP by any chance and ask about PR length with this cam?

The idle itself is smooth, it's your valvetrain that is noisy...
However, once you get the right length pushrods that may change because
your cam will utilize it's full lift and duration capabilities.

Meaning that your valvetrain will quiet down but your idle should lope more.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yea Adam its me. TSP is closed today unfortunately. I got a check oil light when I started the car so I used a scan tool and it is telling me that my pressure at idle is 0-2PSI. The valve springs dont appear to have any oil on them either. It threw a code, 522. Which is that my oil sensor has low voltage. I dont know what I could have done to cause this? I didnt remove the oil pump or disconnect the oil pick up tube. Where do I go from here?
Old 07-06-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jtm2085
Yea Adam its me. TSP is closed today unfortunately. I got a check oil light when I started the car so I used a scan tool and it is telling me that my pressure at idle is 0-2PSI. The valve springs dont appear to have any oil on them either. It threw a code, 522. Which is that my oil sensor has low voltage. I dont know what I could have done to cause this? I didnt remove the oil pump or disconnect the oil pick up tube. Where do I go from here?
Hey man, I have absolutely no idea if these motors are setup the same, as I have yet to cam my LS1, but when I pulled the oil pump off my 3800, there was a spring inside there, and that is what sets your oil pressure. If you did/had to take that off with the front cover, if you did not put that spring back in place, you will spin a bearing with no oil pressure.

Like I said though, that is for a 3800, so I could be totally off with my diagnosis, but that would definitely explain your low oil pressure situation.