Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pass or fail?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 camaross91
actually i am not the first one to do this and be succesful. stock ls1's r amazing!

SSMOKEN tag in another thread:

"i did a cam swap at 135k. i still have stock lifters and im about 140k now."l
In your first post you talk about keeping the stock VALVE SPRINGS, but then you say you aren't the first by comparing to someone keeping there stock LIFTERS.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh i see where ur getting at cause that guy said stock lifter and not springs.... thats still impressive to do it with stock lifters with 135k miles ,and i also figured out what u meant before u posted that just fyi
Old 07-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Teching In

you know what this entire thread is just goin find out how indestructible stock ls1's really are. and again this is a pretty mild cam and i got full intake and full catless ehaust and when i took everything apart everything visually wise looked like it had 20,000 miles on it and u can judge a book by its cover..... most of the time

Last edited by 02 camaross91; 07-17-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Launching!

IMO, just build the motor you want. I hate double work. But if you think its worth it, then throw it in there. Are you doing the work or is a shop doing it? Its a good idea to contact the cam manufacturer and see what they reccomend for supporting mods, and see what they're opinon is on the stock valvetrain. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what direction do you want to take with the rebuild ?consider a 383 stroker down the road.look at TSP website for ideals.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Justus67
IMO, just build the motor you want. I hate double work. But if you think its worth it, then throw it in there. Are you doing the work or is a shop doing it? Its a good idea to contact the cam manufacturer and see what they reccomend for supporting mods, and see what they're opinon is on the stock valvetrain. Good luck and keep us posted.
i am doing the work myself and should be complete tonight, and as far as the maufactuer and what not i have been getting mixed opions from actual gm experts. some say it will be good for a good amount of time being like 20,000 miiles others r saying dont do it cause with ls1's stock heads u never know what will happen. on gm's website they said u can use the stock ls1 valve springs for this mild gm cam but its not reccomended if u want ur car to live to 200+k but i can always swap them out later down the road myself. so i guess we will find out tonight. if anyone has anymore opinions feel free to post even if they r bad ones saying i am an idiot and what nor
Old 07-17-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The stock LS1 valve springs are supposedly only good for .510 lift but the ASA cam has .525 lift. I see lots of broken parts in your future, starting with rocker arms.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
The stock LS1 valve springs are supposedly only good for .510 lift but the ASA cam has .525 lift. I see lots of broken parts in your future, starting with rocker arms.
yeah well every ls1 is different in my opinion especially between the years they were made for the f-body's from 98-02 so i will keep if everyone interested updated casue as far as i know this hasnt been done before.... but dont quote me on that
Old 07-18-2010, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

What happened to ls1tech? Is the ls1 fbody that cheap now that any former Honda owner can get one now? This can't be real. OP must be playing a trick on us. And yes, I've done my own cam install. And yes, if you don't measure spring pressure and height you have to go by the numbers given for the springs! And those numbers show coil bind in your future! But don't listen to us, do it anyways and end up breaking parts that could have been reused in the new engine, costing you even more money. Go ahead, do what you want.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by black00ssFL
What happened to ls1tech? Is the ls1 fbody that cheap now that any former Honda owner can get one now? This can't be real. OP must be playing a trick on us. And yes, I've done my own cam install. And yes, if you don't measure spring pressure and height you have to go by the numbers given for the springs! And those numbers show coil bind in your future! But don't listen to us, do it anyways and end up breaking parts that could have been reused in the new engine, costing you even more money. Go ahead, do what you want.
Shutup scumbag
Old 07-18-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's fine. I'll just quietly sit back in the corner and wait for the next thread to pop up "broke a valve spring and dropped a valve, now my entire engine is screwed". Im gonna also guess that the op isn't gonna get the car tuned either, since he's not shelling out the money for springs why pay for a tune right? I mean the ls1 can take 1000hp on the stock tune cause it's a strong motor.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Teching In

That's fine. I'll just quietly sit back in the corner and wait for the next thread to pop up "broke a valve spring and dropped a valve, now my entire engine is screwed". Im gonna also guess that the op isn't gonna get the car tuned either, since he's not shelling out the money for springs why pay for a tune right? I mean the ls1 can take 1000hp on the stock tune cause it's a strong motor.
you really need to go in thay corner cause all this stuff ur saying i proved wrong last night without the tune. i wrapped that the supposively ,non- functional ls1 engine that ppl said would **** up my top end, out to the rev limiter and what happened to my motor absolutly nothing. ls1 are strong motors and just cause the factory says they can only handle that much lift is a conservative estimate so they dont get sued by ppl that do this kind of thing. u dont even deserve to own an ls1 cause u don't even know the full capabilities of them stock and modded for that matter which is why its quite amusing all the **** ur talking ur saying. so why don't go over to ur little corner and **** urself u stupid piece o **** but i say that with love don't get me wrong cause i really do care...... NOT!!!!
Old 07-18-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm noticing there is a pattern here:

Originally Posted by Purple98Z28
Man that car sucks *****!
And...
Shutup scumbag
And...
Enough is enough, how many people on this post still have an ls1 right now?
If you answered yes to the above than, how many of you have done a cam swap on your car?

Everyone is in a hurry to offer advice however how many of you done the swap?
Before answering the above question allow me to say your liars so shutup and give the kid a brake.
Grammar that would fail 6th grade aside, the overall tone reflects hostility and pent-up anger. And the reference to male genitalia and sex acts is quite telling.

I diagnose as latent homosexuality. Come out of the closet and get professional help, man.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

You must have been really angry to have typed all that, because it's clear that writing doesn't come easily to you.

you really need to go in thay corner cause all this stuff ur saying i proved wrong last night without the tune. i wrapped that the supposively ,non- functional ls1 engine that ppl said would **** up my top end, out to the rev limiter and what happened to my motor absolutly nothing. ls1 are strong motors and just cause the factory says they can only handle that much lift is a conservative estimate so they dont get sued by ppl that do this kind of thing. u dont even deserve to own an ls1 cause u don't even know the full capabilities of them stock and modded for that matter which is why its quite amusing all the **** ur talking ur saying. so why don't go over to ur little corner and **** urself u stupid piece o **** but i say that with love don't get me wrong cause i really do care...... NOT!!!!
Old 07-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by crainholio
You must have been really angry to have typed all that, because it's clear that writing doesn't come easily to you.
haha yeah for sure i just don't like it when ppl have no idea what they r talking about and then say i am just gonna stay out of the way now cause the other guy is right and he doesnt want to admit it. that guy that has no idea what an ls1 is just needs to man up and admit he was wrong and he's a newb and stop being an *******.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by crainholio
I'm noticing there is a pattern here:

And...

And...

Grammar that would fail 6th grade aside, the overall tone reflects hostility and pent-up anger. And the reference to male genitalia and sex acts is quite telling.

I diagnose as latent homosexuality. Come out of the closet and get professional help, man.

so what ur really trying to say is.... u like men??
Old 07-18-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

so what ur really trying to say is.... u like men??
Can it really be that hard for you to type whole words?

My comment was aimed at "PurpleZ28" not you, yet you felt it necessary to stand up for him. Interesting relationship you guys must have.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not worth it to respond to the op and his friend. This thread has to be a joke, a bad attempt at trolling.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Not worth it to respond to the op and his friend. This thread has to be a joke, a bad attempt at trolling.
yep not a joke ur just an idiot who hasnt realized it yet... which is fine man denial is the first stage
Old 07-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Wow I was drunk when I wrote that, thus the reason I deleted it, however your sick board no life having dumpster diving *** has gone and retrieved it.
**** you looser.