Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Since I'm This Far In Might as Well..." Suggestions

Old 08-02-2010, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "Since I'm This Far In Might as Well..." Suggestions

Funny what a little ticking noise has the power to do. Thought it may be a broken spring so that's where I started....

Wasn't a broken spring...... Time to check the Lifters....And then the list formed:

Well since the Heads are off, might as well...
Take them to a shop & get em cleaned up + a valve Job + some porting
Since they will already have the springs off, might as well...
Get a new Set of Yellow LS6 springs and have the shop throw em on
The engine has no heads now time to check the lifters, Found a bad one (& bad means horrible) might as well...
Replace all 16 of them with new + LS2 Trays and since one was bad the Cam is too so might as well...
Upgrade to a Comp Cam 216/220 114 LSA (This is a daily driver), but since I'll be that far might as well....
Upgrade the Timing Chain to an LS2 and throw an SLP Underdrive Pulley back on
Oh yeah, new spark plugs. **** it. Why not. It's easy right now. They're E3's

And since I'm this far........Headers..... Hmmmmm......

Fun Fun....

I am wondering a few things though. I have a new set of GM Stock Rocker Arms I'll probably use when I'm done with all this. Did I have to buy a new set to begin with, do they wear out much? Car has 120,000 miles. I'm also using stock length (7.4) push rods. Next, will stock rockers be fine with the setup I'm going with, is it really worth it to upgrade to an aftermarket rocker? I want something dependable, not something I have to adjust often. One last thing, my suspension creaks. I'm going to replace all the bushings etc... Whats a good set of shocks to get, looking for a smooth comfortable ride more than anything, don't do a lot of cornering at the track or anything like that.

This car is my daily driver, I want it to be fast but it doesn't have to break the sound barrier...

Last edited by Rocktagon; 08-02-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like my "just drop a junk yard LQ4 in my Avalanche." I ended up with a full set of bearings, oil pump, and gaskets earlier. Now I'm doing a head/cam swap with new lifters and pushrods as well.
I drew the line at rockers. Just like you stated, it's a DD with a mild cam. The rockers are great for adding further reliability at higher HP levels, but I think the stockers are just fine for a mild street motor.
The one other item I'll mention is that if you're going to have the oil pump off already (for the timing set) You might as well go for a new pump. Cheap insurance for all the added work you're going through. I'd hate to get it back together only to have the pump give out a few thousand miles down the road.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

i dropped a valve with a brand new set of yellow ls6 valve springs... you might want to consider getting better springs.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:23 AM
On The Tree

New Oil Pump, Check. Did that one about 6 months ago. I went with a Melling HP Oil Pump. Stock one took a dump on me. I don't know why I didn't just do a new chain then?? Wasn't thinking about it I guess, just wanted it to get back on the road.

LS-1Z28, Must've had a bad batch of springs (I hope). Did it toast your head or block when that happened or did you get lucky? What springs did you go with?
Old 08-03-2010, 01:53 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look at upgrading your stock rockers with a trunion upgrade. less than 150$ from Comp Cams. Most sponsors carry them too since its definitely a worthwhile upgrade.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

If I switch to a different rocker arm would stock specs be 1.7 with an 8mm stud? I'm thinking about the comp cams red aluminum rollers.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Since the intake is off, why not upgrade to an LS6 too, maybe a Catchcan as well. I would also replace the valve cover gaskets, intake gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, and so on. After 120k miles, some fresh ones are in order.
Suspension wise, Bilsteins shocks are good for the money, I would also get new swaybar endlinks which are pretty cheap and maybe some sub frame connectors for a little bit extra support. The list could go on and on......
Old 08-03-2010, 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rocktagon
If I switch to a different rocker arm would stock specs be 1.7 with an 8mm stud? I'm thinking about the comp cams red aluminum rollers.
You will be more then fine with stock rockers. most of the big guys with the more extream setups will still stay with stock rockers with the trunion upgrade like was already suggested. the lightweight reliable design of the stockers makes them a better choice then going with a heavy over the tip aftermarket rocker in most cases.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am not sure that the ls6 springs will handle that cam. You cant just look at the max lift of the cam, i bet that the ramp rate of that cam is going to be too much for those springs.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

I did the oil pump recently so most of the seals/gaskets are pretty fresh yet. Already have new exhaust gaskets and other little various ones. Good to go with all that stuff.

LS6 intake was a thought. Depends on how much more I'm willing to spend. This whole operation has cut some big holes in my pockets.

There is an F-body shop here that works a lot on these cars. I've been there often in the past. One of the main mechanics I've been talking to has this same Cam/Springs/Pushrod setup on his LS1 and tells me everything will hold together just fine. He's got 10+ years of experience with this so I figure he knows what he's talking about... The Springs I got are the Yellow LS6 ones GM Part # 12586484.

Upgrading the Trunions, since the whole bearing system within the rocker gets replaced with these would it be ok to just do the upgrade to my old stock rockers with 102K on them? They obviously show a little bit of wear on the tip where the valve stem makes contact (just a smooth silver area) but will that make them any less reliable once they have the new trunions in em?

Thanks for your thoughts Guys!

Last edited by Rocktagon; 08-03-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:28 PM
10 Second Club

the trunion upgrade om your current rockers should be fine. a little wear on the tip is normal since they are not roller tipped but if you think its exsessive worn or thin thats your call. I'd say a small polished area where they contact is perfectly fine.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:32 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The uncaged stock portion is your problem. It can just dump its needle bearing insides at any given time. The upgrade will basically be giving you a new rocker minus the housing and the peace of mind.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow i did not realize the cam was that mild ya you might be ok with those springs just make sure to check them every 5k or so.

Search this Thread