Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on checking PTV clearance

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question on checking PTV clearance

When checking PTV on a motor with hydraulic lifters, would you still require a solid lifter when using checking springs?
The reason I ask is that the replacement lifters I'm using (LS7 style) are different than what originally came in the LQ4. As such, I can't convert the stockers to solid for a proper check.

Otherwise, is there a non-destructive method to convert the newer style lifters to solid temporarily for checking PTV?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nobody?

Should I tack one of the stock LQ4 lifter cups into place and subtract .050 from the final length?
Old 08-04-2010, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

if your using a checking spring you should be fine with the hydraulic lifter. its when u use your actual springs that you NEED to use a solid lifter. if you want to be on the safe side you can add a couple thousandths to your ptv reading and assume the lifter bled a bit.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You need an adjustable pushrod and check springs. Set the pushrod length so you have zero lash with the lifter on the base circle. Use the dial indicator method (not clay) and at each step make sure you aren't compressing the lifter plunger. I would gently depress the rocker at each crankshaft increment to ensure the pushrod doesn't get pushed up. In other words before pressing the valve to contact the piston, just slightly depress the valve with the rocker and see if the pushrod becomes loose. If it does, then the lifter plunger should still be at the top as it would be with a solid lifter. If the pushrod comes up when the rocker moves, then the spring in the lifter has compressed and is skewing your results.

The other option is to make a solid lifter from the old ones and lengthen the adjustable pushrod to zero lash. The perform the dial indicator method normally.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I expected to be able to use the hydraulic lifter but had not found confirmation.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You just need to be careful that the lifter plunger is not depressing giving an higher then actual PTV number.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vettenuts
You need an adjustable pushrod and check springs. Set the pushrod length so you have zero lash with the lifter on the base circle. Use the dial indicator method (not clay) and at each step make sure you aren't compressing the lifter plunger. I would gently depress the rocker at each crankshaft increment to ensure the pushrod doesn't get pushed up. In other words before pressing the valve to contact the piston, just slightly depress the valve with the rocker and see if the pushrod becomes loose. If it does, then the lifter plunger should still be at the top as it would be with a solid lifter. If the pushrod comes up when the rocker moves, then the spring in the lifter has compressed and is skewing your results.

The other option is to make a solid lifter from the old ones and lengthen the adjustable pushrod to zero lash. The perform the dial indicator method normally.
thats a great step by step if ive ever seen one.

Quick Reply: Question on checking PTV clearance