Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP missing with g5x2 cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004 | 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

In my old c4, I gutted the cats and picked up 20 hp. Its a known fact and the first thing people tell you "gut the cats man, youll pick up power" we will see if he makes more power, by the way did you see the comparison with the mods and the graph in obssed post
Gomer- I want the house, dog and more than half the money, no restraining order will stop me
Old 01-22-2004 | 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ne14a6t9
In my old c4, I gutted the cats and picked up 20 hp. Its a known fact and the first thing people tell you "gut the cats man, youll pick up power" we will see if he makes more power, by the way did you see the comparison with the mods and the graph in obssed post
It may have worked for you and other but I know of others that have lost power. Seems like a crap shoot either way. The only real way to do it and expect a power increase is via straight pipes that have smooth inner walls.
Old 01-22-2004 | 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Rob, keep us updated on the mods you make and we will see if it picks up power

Gomer- I want the mini van to
Old 01-22-2004 | 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

Gomer- I want the house, dog and more than half the money, no restraining order will stop me
LMFAO.. I wasn't going to post in this thread again, but I SWEAR that she got the dog, I had to give her 75% of the equity in the house and she got to keep her car while I paid insurance on it for a year. LOL! Now that's funny, you'd make someone a damn good ex-wife!!

Again, to add some "technical merit" to the post... Look at the reason everyone wants to go with an X-pipe setup. It is for the scavenging effect of the X-pipe, I'm sure some hollowed out "half assed" gutted coffee can converters will really induce turbulence into the system and defeat the benefits of the X-pipe. This is my last post, goodnight honey
Old 01-22-2004 | 09:05 PM
Launching!

Hey ne14a6t9, I have a quesiton for ya:
If you think that the problem is in the heads then why did "JFM" only pull 430 with the G5X3, AS Stage 2.75 Heads and an electric water pump. Seems kind of low to me.

Originally posted by JFM in November 2003:
This is my stock bottom end 99 block.Pistons were fly cut by Jay,tuned at Vette Doctors by Carman.The converter would not lock up so all numbers are UNLOCKED.
All belts on.Stock 10 Bolt with 3:42 Gears.
Electric water pump.
Absolute Speed Stage 2.75 heads and LG G5X3 on a 112.
30 pound Injectors.
430 RWHP thru FLP's and full SLP Dual-Dual Exhaust,unlocked.
446 RWHP with Open Headers thru FLP Test Pipes,unlocked.
Old 01-22-2004 | 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/87910-2000-c5-m6-dyno-results-absolute-5-3l-stage-2-g5x2.html

Ne14ABiotch.. enjoy
Old 01-22-2004 | 09:38 PM
TECH Veteran

ne14a6t9: why are you so hell bent on bashing Patriot and continuously posting the same thread link from Robinson? Is that the only thread you could find?? I read every single one of those pages and I never remember reading anywhere that he actually swapped to GTP or another set of heads to prove anything. Last time I dynoed my car it only dynoed 315 rwhp and 320 rwtq, but the car can run 11.7's all day long. Yes I would be a little sceptable about low numbers, but I would take i to the track first to see how it did.
Old 01-22-2004 | 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

"Back pressure is important and not enough will allow power to go right out the pipes!!"

Not from what I've seen. The less backpressure the better. Now I have seen cases where people ran open headers and lost power due to the Ltrims being thrown off from outside air screwing with the O2 sensors, but other than that...no muffler is going to outperform a cuttout and no cat is going to outperform a straight Y-pipe of equal size. Backpressure being needed is an old fallacy (as far as LS1s go) and it's been proven countless thousands of times.

Assclown, you do understand that a ported TB can be worth 7-8 RWHP on even a bone stock engine don't you?

"I bet this guys goes through the expense of changing to staight pipes and chages his air box, ported tb and headers and picks up 2 hp."

I'll take you up on that bet. Who's going to hold the $$$ and how much can you stand to lose? Thanks for the donation.
Old 01-22-2004 | 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BergerMan
If you think that the problem is in the heads then why did "JFM" only pull 430 with the G5X3, AS Stage 2.75 Heads and an electric water pump. Seems kind of low to me.

This is my stock bottom end 99 block.Pistons were fly cut by Jay,tuned at Vette Doctors by Carman.The converter would not lock up so all numbers are UNLOCKED.
Electric water pump.
30 pound Injectors.

Bergerman maybe you missed the part about it being an unlocked a4, Seems like some stout results there
Gomer. take a look at this https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/129667-absolute-speed-stage-2-5-3s-dyno-results-through-a4.html
thats the same set of heads that made 452 untuned in another car
I already said, keep us updated on the results with the changes, a ported tb may be worth 5-10 on a f body but not on a y body tb ,I know I just ported mine with a friend who showed me the defference between the two. Let the guy make the changes and see what he gets. Now everyone knows why I devorced your ***. I should have left you at hello
Old 01-23-2004 | 02:45 AM
On The Tree

After reading this post the only conclusion that I have come to is that I am not going to get married!
Old 01-23-2004 | 03:24 AM
10 Second Club

I am wondering why you would say a A4 car that dynos 430 with a unlocked converter without a cutout is low? I guess you over looked the open exhaust # of 447 UNLOCKED!! . Why would you talk **** about a 10 sec car ? Especially a well respected racer like jfm that has beenon this board a long time and does not talk bad about anyones h/c combos. Why would you even bring a AS car up in this post? Seems like you got an agenda here .Did you think you were the smart guy when you sold your heads to someone else that now makes 450+ hp with them? That guy must love you. Go pimp your new heads and feel good about yourself but if you dyno lower than 450 like your old heads just did in someone elses car you lost out.

BTW jfms dyno #`s are some of the highest unlocked #`s I have ever seen. You can easily add 10 to 15 hp to them if it was a locked #.

I dont care if you talk **** about absolute speed but atleast have a clue when you try to make a point

Originally Posted by BergerMan

Electric water pump.
30 pound Injectors.
Old 01-23-2004 | 08:55 AM
On The Tree

Definitely ditch the twin-flow air intake. The design in which the incoming air comes together from two different directions right in front of the MAF is horrible for turbulance. I know they may be the coolest looking air intake, but I would recommend going with a Vararam or a Vortex or, if you fear water ingestion, a Blackwing.

I don't think you will pick up 15rwhp just from getting rid of the gutted cats, but I think you would get a good amount of torque and it is probably worthwhile to do. Some cars just do not make the same power as others no matter what you do.

Regardless, Good luck!
Old 01-23-2004 | 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Number one *** clown here. show me where the restriction is? If non gutted cats drop hp 10-15, how much does a gutted cat drop it? I would think a gutted cat flows much better than a non gutted cat, at least in my world it does. I bet this guys goes through the expense of changing to staight pipes and chages his air box, ported tb and headers and picks up 2 hp. All every one does is speculate that if it had this and didnt have that it would make 450+ hp, well it didnt and alot otheres dont make power either so draw your own conclusions. while your all speculating check out obssed's post and speculate what all 5 cars would have made if it had this and that
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/118174-obsssd-s-pp-stg-ii-ls6-g5x3-dyno-graph.html
3 inch carsound cats cost me between 18-24RWHP through the curve. THose are the 500cfm ones.

Gutted cats could actually be the same or possibly a bit worse.
ported throttle body will be another 7-10RWHP easily.

Right there he is at 440RWHP Through a vette IRS. That is damn good IMO
Old 01-23-2004 | 10:10 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Roger White
Not to knock LG headers I am sure they are a fine product, but there are quite a few 10 sec H/C TPIS cars running around.

Get a good mid section in that exhaust. I ran my 10.73 with the Random Tech CAT x-pipe.

Roger,

You have to ask your self what your time would have been with the LG Pro Long Tubes. We lose NO hp to any header on the top end, but we pic up plenty of torque at the lower rpms. This low end torque is what will help your car, in the first 330'. ( even your a A4 with the high stall). A 6 speed car would benefit even more in the 330' with more low end torque.

The high stall A4 is the only thing that saves the shorter headers. I understand that you have what you have, and you probably don't want to change, but that doesn't mean that you are not losing low end hp. And your package may not be hurt that much by losing the low end torque.

Our headers are what they are. They make more low end, and that is a fact. If you don't think that it would help your package, then that is ok, but just knowing that there are cars that go fast without some particular mod, doesn't "Negate" the value of a particular mod.

Thanks
Lou G
Old 01-23-2004 | 11:40 AM
On The Tree

If you guys would allow me to chime in here, I think Lou is AWESOME!!!!

I love the cam's, I love the cars he builds, and I love hive willingness to always help people out if they need questions answered.

Sorry for the randomness, But i aprecciate people who like to pioneer and make big, loud and reliable HP
Old 01-23-2004 | 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Rob

I Wouldnt Change The Tpis Headers

My Car With Tpis Put Up 480 Rwhp On The Dyno

And Traps 130 Mph@10.58 !!!! What 346 Runs That???

I Would Go With An Off Road X Pipe And Ported Tb

I Do Also Reccomend The Vara-ram As Well

And Get It Re-tuned By A Ls1-edit Expert
Old 01-23-2004 | 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brent eb02
Hey Rob

I AGREE with BRENT's aforementioned statement 100%!!!
Old 01-23-2004 | 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

From what I have seen, those patriot heads are VERY inconsistent. This has to be the 4th or 5th dissapppointing results I have seen. The numbers you got are about what a stock LS6 headed car should do.
Old 01-24-2004 | 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brent eb02
Hey Rob

I plan on those 3 plus the mazere H20 pump and the fast intake. Already have an LS1-edit expert (didn't tune it on my own)
Old 01-24-2004 | 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Rob..remember not every dyno is exactly the same either...I would bet you could see a variance of 3 to 5% easy ..maybe more just depending which dyno operator was working it..(not that it matters but it might be worth even more than ls1edit skills..

Good luck on your car..

That was one fast SOB..

Dynos are good indicators but not the end all. IMO

Quick Reply: HP missing with g5x2 cam