Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about honing

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about honing

I've got a block with 80k on it. The cylinders are not too bad looking, but the engine sat for awhile and something got in one of the cylinders and resulted in a little surface rust. I was able to clean up a majority of it, but I figured since I was tearing it all down anyway to freshen it up, I'd get a hone to just clean it up. I'm wanting to keep it all pretty much stock as its going to be put in my 79 malibu to be used for a dd. My question is if I get it honed is it possible to reuse the stock pistons? I'm not quite sure how much will need to be taken off, but if I had to guess it wouldn't be that much at all. Not really knowledgeable about this topic so if someone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:39 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Polynikes
I've got a block with 80k on it. The cylinders are not too bad looking, but the engine sat for awhile and something got in one of the cylinders and resulted in a little surface rust. I was able to clean up a majority of it, but I figured since I was tearing it all down anyway to freshen it up, I'd get a hone to just clean it up. I'm wanting to keep it all pretty much stock as its going to be put in my 79 malibu to be used for a dd. My question is if I get it honed is it possible to reuse the stock pistons? I'm not quite sure how much will need to be taken off, but if I had to guess it wouldn't be that much at all. Not really knowledgeable about this topic so if someone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
It all depends on how much needs to be taken out. It's not just the rust to worry about but taper and out-of-round as well. If the cylinder is pretty straight and round, you may be ok. If not, you may need a new set of pistons.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, thanks. I didn't consider the other factors involved like you mentioned, good points. I just wasn't sure if it could be "cleaned up" so to speak by busting the glaze off or if honing had to be done in incremental values meaning the use of new pistons. I guess I'll find out how true the cylinders are when I take it to the machine shop.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it will need new pistons-it generally take .002 to clean up a stock ls block.that is way too much clearance for stock pistons