Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine removal help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010 | 11:47 AM

Default Engine removal help!

I have a 99 ss with the stock ls1 a t56 transmission. I am currently in the process of removing the engine from the top of the car. I have everything disconnected off the motor that needs to come off, including the mounts and the 8 bolts that connect the bell housing to the block. The problem is that the engine will not seperate from the bell housing! It is acting like it is still bolted on to the transmission somewhere. I even tried prying the housing from the oil pan and it will seperate only about 1/8 of an inch then snaps right back! Is there something I am missing?? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 08-09-2010 | 11:57 AM
Internet Mechanic

Thats normal, if your still connected to the motor mounts, at the very least get the transmission out. You can leave the bell housing in while you remove. It will require more work and at worst, 2 stong guys to lift up and clear the radiator support.

TO BE HONEST, you need to get it off the back of the block.

Make sure all bolts are out, use a dead blow hammer to knock it loose but it will come out.

Also there are 2 sets of bolts. Transmission to Bellhousing and Bellhousing to Block.

Make sure the trans is not binding up as it could be hanging, use a hyd jack to get it as straight as you can.

Pls clarify as much as you can so we can help you. I know doing my clutch swap, on a lift mind you was a PITA and the car was a 2002 with bearly 38k on the clock but had some harsh winters in Boston that I am sure did not help on the removal.

It was me and another strong guy to get that bell housing off. Also we needed to use the stock bolts to draw the bellhousing back on. MOST likely due to the dowel pins in the upper corner of each side of the block.
Old 08-09-2010 | 12:36 PM

I do have the bottom of the transmission supported with a jack to try and get the alignment straight. The car only has a little over 40k miles on it and its pretty clean for the most part which is why i'm so surprised that i'm having so much trouble. From under the car I can see 6 bolts securing the transmission to the bellhousing... I suppose there are probably a couple more on the top of the transmission that are a PITA to get to??
Old 08-09-2010 | 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i took my transmission completely out then took the motor with the bellhousing attached through the top.
Old 08-09-2010 | 01:11 PM
10 Second Club

^^^ I did it this way also.^^^^
Old 08-09-2010 | 01:18 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by blk99ssm6
I do have the bottom of the transmission supported with a jack to try and get the alignment straight. The car only has a little over 40k miles on it and its pretty clean for the most part which is why i'm so surprised that i'm having so much trouble. From under the car I can see 6 bolts securing the transmission to the bellhousing... I suppose there are probably a couple more on the top of the transmission that are a PITA to get to??
I thought there were 8, its been a while. There should be 2 that require a LONG extention a swivle head and a good angle and doing it blindly as well.
Old 08-09-2010 | 01:24 PM
Launching!

I just took my engine out the top. The only way I personally know to get those top two bolts out is to support the transmission on a jack (important) and remove the transmission mount be careful now the transmission has nothing holding it on accept those two bolts and the dowel pins. Lower the transmission jack slowly the engine will sag on the motor mounts giving you plenty of room to remove those top bolts with a VERY long extension and universal extension. Once the bolts are out raise the transmission jack back up to take the pressure off the motor mounts then slide the transmission back.
Old 08-09-2010 | 03:03 PM

Thank you for the advice! I will try it that way and let you know how it goes!
Old 08-09-2010 | 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

my transmission came out with the engine..
Old 08-09-2010 | 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by laughatrice
I just took my engine out the top. The only way I personally know to get those top two bolts out is to support the transmission on a jack (important) and remove the transmission mount be careful now the transmission has nothing holding it on accept those two bolts and the dowel pins. Lower the transmission jack slowly the engine will sag on the motor mounts giving you plenty of room to remove those top bolts with a VERY long extension and universal extension. Once the bolts are out raise the transmission jack back up to take the pressure off the motor mounts then slide the transmission back.

^ thats what i did
Old 08-10-2010 | 07:48 AM
TECH Resident

I did it this way too. Mine got hung up on the dowels. Tactfull prying from different directions and a lot of jacking the trans at different heights and angles should work.
If I ever do this again, I'll pull it out and back in with the trans attached somehow, cuz honestly, the trans removal and replacement was the most difficult part of the R&R for me.
Old 08-10-2010 | 08:25 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Steve Gunn
the trans removal and replacement was the most difficult part of the R&R for me.
I agree with that, BUT its most hard when your on your back. IF the option presents itself do it with a lift, OMG does it make a difference.
Old 08-10-2010 | 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I agree with that, BUT its most hard when your on your back. IF the option presents itself do it with a lift, OMG does it make a difference.
Ha! I wouldn't know!

Old 08-10-2010 | 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Out the bottom is much easier
Old 08-10-2010 | 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Quickest and easiest way to remove an LT1/LS1 from a F-Body is to remove it from the bottom. Disconnect the K-Member, lift the body with the engine hoist and roll the engine and transmission out(transmission rolls on a lift/dolly). Keep the car supported by jack stands once the engine is out then use your engine hoist to pull the motor from the K-Member after you disconnect the transmission and then put it on the engine stand.

Writing it up sounds more complicated, but it is the easiest way to pull a motor safely and without damaging any parts etc. I have done it quite a few times this way. Of course, this is my opinion
Old 08-10-2010 | 10:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Steve Gunn
Ha! I wouldn't know!

looks like my garage!Lol I'm getting ready to put the 6.0 back in the SS.When I pulled the motor,didnt have any probs seperating it from the tranny.Now putting it back in is going to be another story,little harder!!Sorry didnt mean to hijack.Good luck with you project!!Mike
Old 08-10-2010 | 10:37 PM
10 Second Club

how bout the 3 bolts that hold the torque convertor to the flexplate?
Old 08-11-2010 | 09:28 AM

Yeah I considered pulling the motor and trans together out the bottom but I just couldn't think of a safe way to get the car high enough without a lift....

Unfortunately I can't try to pull the motor again until this weekend, but luckily I actually have a game plan to get it out this time instead of just banging my head against a wall like last time!
Old 08-11-2010 | 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah I considered pulling the motor and trans together out the bottom but I just couldn't think of a safe way to get the car high enough without a lift....

Unfortunately I can't try to pull the motor again until this weekend, but luckily I actually have a game plan to get it out this time instead of just banging my head against a wall like last time!
Put a strap/chain around the radiator support and use the engine hoist. You can have the whole thing out in less than an hour from the time you started working on it.
Old 08-11-2010 | 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Engine hoist are pretty cheap at autozone, o'reilys or such places. My family and I have been using it for the past 12 years without problems so far. Good investment.