Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to diagnose a failing lifter(s)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1c62nv
Is anyone checking valve cover to rocker clearance? It may not be the case but I have seen it before. Just a thought?????
I peeked under the v/c's but didnt see any obvious dings or scratch marks.. I cant say for sure if mine are coming in contact for sure, but If so, I would think mine would make noise at idle as well. Mine doesnt starting acting up until you slowly rev it up to 15-2000 RPM and hold in there.. BTW - new LS7 lifters and trays in yesterday, should be starting back up in the next day or so - here's for finger crossing!

Last edited by Racinjason424; 08-16-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Let us know how it goes!
Old 08-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
Let us know how it goes!
Oh I will! If it doesent work, you probably won't hear from me becuase I will be hanging from the rafters in my barn. :x lol
Old 08-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Well its been 24 hrs.... R.I.P. Bro!
Old 08-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1c62nv
Well its been 24 hrs.... R.I.P. Bro!
Ha-ha! The darn rope kept breaking!! No, I should fire it up tonight.. I got the top of the motor put back together last night.. Just have to slap on the exhaust and add coolant... I'm not super religous, but I'm praying to the BIG man that it runs good and no V/T rattle!!!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Launching!

Default Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

We'll guys, I'm sorry to report that the new LS7 lifters did not solve my problem.. I used 7.400's with 1.5 turns to 22 ft-lbs. I still cant figure out why, but no matter what length pushrods I tried #2 & #3 exhaust is 1/2-3/4 turn more than the rest to 22 ft-lbs?? That has me stumpped..

Sounds good at idle - no rocker noise at all, but rev it up to 18-1900 and hold it and the intermitten clatter is still there on the passenger side.. 55-60 oil psi at idle & 90-100 and 5k.. rap it up to 3-5K it sounds great too.

I dont know what to do know.. I'm tired of throwing time and money at it! I think I might need professional help..?? I will try and post a video tomorrow and see if anybody has any ideas.. Thanks guys - Jason.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

last thing I would try before pro help, which is also very beneficial upgrade anyways, is to get the Comp Cams trunion upgrade and see if that helps.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Hard to do by myself, but heres what I got.. I'll try and get a better one tomorrow after I get a helper over here to hold the camera..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLE7s4Kd5r8
Old 08-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by djfury05
last thing I would try before pro help, which is also very beneficial upgrade anyways, is to get the Comp Cams trunion upgrade and see if that helps.
Did this clear up a hard to diagnose intermitten clatter for you? If so, what is the approx. cost for the upgrade and what is the process? Send to comp? Thanks - Jason!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Racinjason424
Did this clear up a hard to diagnose intermitten clatter for you? If so, what is the approx. cost for the upgrade and what is the process? Send to comp? Thanks - Jason!
I personally am not having valvetrain issue that I think is abnormal, just the slight sewing machine sound but very faint as it should be. The comp cams trunion upgrade is, IMO and many many others, including professionals, the best upgrade for rockers on the LS1's. Some say Scorpion brand (notorious in Mustang crowd) rockers are bad *** and they are very quiet, but they are about $375.

The Comp Cams Trunion upgrade itself is about $130-140 depending on where you find it. You can either send them in somewhere to have them done, probably about $75-80 in labor depending on the shop, or you can get an arbor press ($40-45ish) from Harbor freight and do it yourself. There are a couple threads on tech where guys used different methods etc.

If your looking for a sponsor to send them to, the only one I know off the top of my head is Lashway Motorsports because he has a thread about it.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Launching!

I personally am not having valvetrain issue that I think is abnormal, just the slight sewing machine sound but very faint as it should be. The comp cams trunion upgrade is, IMO and many many others, including professionals, the best upgrade for rockers on the LS1's. Some say Scorpion brand (notorious in Mustang crowd) rockers are bad *** and they are very quiet, but they are about $375.

The Comp Cams Trunion upgrade itself is about $130-140 depending on where you find it. You can either send them in somewhere to have them done, probably about $75-80 in labor depending on the shop, or you can get an arbor press ($40-45ish) from Harbor freight and do it yourself. There are a couple threads on tech where guys used different methods etc.

If your looking for a sponsor to send them to, the only one I know off the top of my head is Lashway Motorsports because he has a thread about it.
Thanks for the info.. Seems like a fairly cheap upgrade!!! I will do some looking around..
Old 08-17-2010, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the info.. Seems like a fairly cheap upgrade!!! I will do some looking around..
it really is and it is a PROVEN upgrade as well. WS6store price matches I know for sure, and their shipping time is insanely quick. There are other sponsors that price match too so just look around and find the best deal and go from there, good luck you'll get it figured out!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Launching!

it really is and it is a PROVEN upgrade as well. WS6store price matches I know for sure, and their shipping time is insanely quick. There are other sponsors that price match too so just look around and find the best deal and go from there, good luck you'll get it figured out!
Wonder if it is a rocker... Only thing that is not bran-*** new (other than short block with 15k on it).. New heads, new valves, new springs, new cam, new lifters, new push rods, old rockers.. Wonder if I switched rockers from one side to the other if the noise would follow?? Wonder if a bad/ worn rocker would allow for my funny torque readings on exhaust #2 & #3?? Hmmm..
Old 08-17-2010, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

Wonder if it is a rocker... Only thing that is not bran-*** new (other than short block with 15k on it).. New heads, new valves, new springs, new cam, new lifters, new push rods, old rockers.. Wonder if I switched rockers from one side to the other if the noise would follow?? Wonder if a bad/ worn rocker would allow for my funny torque readings on exhaust #2 & #3?? Hmmm..
only 1 way to find out
Old 08-18-2010, 12:28 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That gives me an Idea....Imma try rockers as well.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 89L98T56
That gives me an Idea....Imma try rockers as well.
Are you going to try the trunion upgrade or switching from side to side to see if a rattle moves over? Just curious..
Old 08-18-2010, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats the only thing left besides exhaust leak, and from this thread, I would think you're more than experienced enough to properly identify that. Really weird though, I would of figured that you would notice some play in the rocker if they are making noise.

As far as the video goes, I cannot hear anything with the exhaust as loud as it is. Do you have a cutout or anything you could close? I know you said you were going to get a helper, damned drive-by-wire TBs.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
Thats the only thing left besides exhaust leak, and from this thread, I would think you're more than experienced enough to properly identify that. Really weird though, I would of figured that you would notice some play in the rocker if they are making noise.

As far as the video goes, I cannot hear anything with the exhaust as loud as it is. Do you have a cutout or anything you could close? I know you said you were going to get a helper, damned drive-by-wire TBs.
Yeah, I've had my fair share of exhaust leaks over the years! I can usually hear those at idle and the tick sound stays consistent as the R's increase.. And small leaks tend to quiet down after the motor gets hot.. My noise however, gets worse as the motor gets hot and it definitely sounds metalic like a lifter clattering (ting, ta-ting, ta-ting.. ting, ting, ta-ting - not consistent)..

The motor is running through full exhaust, but it might sound louder being inside the barn. I will try to make a better vid tonight with the car pulled outside..
Old 08-18-2010, 05:55 PM
11 Second Club

What is your oil pressure reading? and is it flucating at all when making the lifter noise. We have seen and fixed this type of noise by replacing the oil pump oring caused by aeration of the oil due from warpped oring (like a engine or vehicle sitting up for awhile) or from being cut.

I have had multiple cams and pushrods set ups in my truck and have found most of my light valve train noise was caused by too much preload/pushrods too long. But nothing like yours, your preload seems fine.

Hang in there
Old 08-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Smile

Originally Posted by fossil
What is your oil pressure reading? and is it flucating at all when making the lifter noise. We have seen and fixed this type of noise by replacing the oil pump oring caused by aeration of the oil due from warpped oring (like a engine or vehicle sitting up for awhile) or from being cut.

I have had multiple cams and pushrods set ups in my truck and have found most of my light valve train noise was caused by too much preload/pushrods too long. But nothing like yours, your preload seems fine.

Hang in there
Oil pressure is 60 hot at idle - no flucating at all.. Goes up to about 75 when you get on it.. I have a new oil pan, new pick-up, new o-ring, new oil pump.

As far as pushrods go, I used Shawn at Thunders technique of 1-1/4 - 1-3/4 turns to 22 ft-lbs from zero lash and I got 1-3/8 - 1-5/8 turns with my new LS7 lifterss and 7.400 push rods -seems good right? I checked tonight with my p/r checker and I got 9.75 turns intake and 9.5 turns exhaust on #1, which equates to 7.363 & 7.350" with .075" pre-load added respectively... 7.350's to 7.400's is a big difference! I'm not sure to use Shawn's method, or trust the p/r checker? If the checker is right, then I am setting at close to.125" pre-load with the 7.400's! I also swapped the rockers from right to left tonight to make sure it wasn't a bad rocker causing the noise on the passenger side, but it didnt matter one bit.. Noise still seems to be on the pass. side. I will post a new video tonight - hopefully it turned out better being outside rather the pole barn!! Thanks again guys for listening and all you help and advise. You guys are whats keeping me going!!!

Quick Reply: How to diagnose a failing lifter(s)