Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blowing Oil Out The Tail Pipes.. VIDS

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010 | 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
I just changed my oil last week.. Last time I changed it was 5/2009.. Last season I only put on 1200 miles on the car. switched from M1 syn 5w30 to Pennzoil Platinum syn 10w30.....

Pretty much every time I get gas I have to add some oil... But at idle you can see smoke... Now what kind of smoke I have no idea.. If you look close at the last vid, look at the background (lighter color) you can see a contrast.. The smoke in that vid a blue tint to it. Atleas in my eyes it does
This is your problem right here.. Everytime I run syn. oil in my car it burns a **** load of oil. I am talking about 1 1/2-2 1/2 quarts between oil changes and my car isn't a DD either. I changed back to regular oil and my problem was solved. Try this out and let me know how it works out for you..
Old 08-15-2010 | 09:26 PM
10 Second Club

I use Amsoil 10w30 synthetic and was burning about a 1/2 quart between changes. Amsoil has been the best oil that I've used so far. I've always used a full synthetic 10w30. So far I've tried Walmart SuperTech, Royal Purple, and Valvoline. My car drank significantly more oil than it has using Amsoil. It used to burn between 1 1/2 quarts between changes. I finally installed a catch can and am seeing less than 1/4 quart between changes now.
Old 08-16-2010 | 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

would like to know what is going on also. my car is doing the EXACT same thing. I swapped the cam and when i did that i changed the valve seals also. i did a compression check on mine last night and it was all in tolerance. doing a leak down today. good luck. i will keep you posted on what i find also. I also heard that if you change seals you need to change the guides too otherwise they will never seal right or something like that. also my plugs have oil on them...

subscribed!
Old 08-16-2010 | 07:40 PM
Banned

I'd be willing to bet its the rings!
Old 08-16-2010 | 11:22 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by odarabla
This is your problem right here.. Everytime I run syn. oil in my car it burns a **** load of oil. I am talking about 1 1/2-2 1/2 quarts between oil changes and my car isn't a DD either. I changed back to regular oil and my problem was solved. Try this out and let me know how it works out for you..
That is exactly the oil I run. Havent seen it burn hardly any.
Old 08-17-2010 | 06:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02 BLK WS6
I use Amsoil 10w30 synthetic and was burning about a 1/2 quart between changes. Amsoil has been the best oil that I've used so far. I've always used a full synthetic 10w30. So far I've tried Walmart SuperTech, Royal Purple, and Valvoline. My car drank significantly more oil than it has using Amsoil. It used to burn between 1 1/2 quarts between changes. I finally installed a catch can and am seeing less than 1/4 quart between changes now.
I have seen this allot on the grocery getter's that come through the shop.No oil usage until they switch to Amsoil synthetic. Amsoil makes an engine flush that we use when switching a vehicle from conventional oil to synthetic to stop the oil usage problem. From what I have seen it works.
Old 08-17-2010 | 07:37 AM
TECH Veteran

I know I have to add just a tad after a weekend of playing. If you beat on them, they are going to use a little bit. Mostly bc the pcv setup sucks.

As for your problem I would definitely start with a leakdown or compression test just to see where you stand.

Quick Reply: Blowing Oil Out The Tail Pipes.. VIDS