Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it tough to assemble a motor...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it tough to...

is it tought to assemble a motor....im not worried about puttin the heads and intake manifold and stuff like that on...i have most all my parts...im buildin a 6.0...im worried about putting the rods, pistons, mains, and crank in..plus all the bearings...i dont wanna mess anything up...how much do shops usually charge to put this stuff in...or do u think i could do it myself...im just worried about all the little measurements and stuff...thanks
Old 01-24-2004, 12:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Okie02
is it tought to assemble a motor....do u think i could do it myself...
well...that right there all depends on who you are and what tools you have

If an engine has had all the correct machine work, then it is like putting legos together. You do need some basics like feeler gauges, a torque wrench, a ring compressor, etc... The only things to really check are bearing clearances with plasti gauge (that strip stuff...can't remember if thats what its called now.... ). Other than that, its a step by step process of just putting parts together.

I personally don't ever see having a shop BUILD a motor for me.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:11 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you have to ask engine building isnt for you. have an experienced shop do it for you.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah but im not paying a shitload of money to have a shop do it...how much does a feeler gauge and ring compressor cost?
Old 01-24-2004, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

Pay now or pay later, that’s how I would figure it,
Having never built a motor, you’re asking for problems. Just save up and have someone that knows what their doing assembly at least the bottom end.
It is really not that difficult but is it worth buying a bunch of tools and spending all that time and money on something that you could f up. (Personally I prefer to have someone else to blame) If you do decide to do it yourself, buy a few books and read up, double check everything and most importantly do not rush, it can be done. Either way, hope it turns out.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks guys....do u know what shops usually charge for this kinda stuff?
Old 01-24-2004, 12:40 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

rates very depending on location. try you local regional forum and see if theres a shop they recommend. you dont have to pay for the whole thing but like the other guy said at least have them do the bottom end. h/c accessories, ect. can be done pretty easily yourself as there are plenty of how to sites to walk you through it.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:41 AM
Staging Lane

I don't think it's that bad to have the motor assembled.. I know I got a good price from Speed for my 382 that they're building next month...
Old 01-24-2004, 01:13 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Parts and machine shop costs seem to be where most of the money goes...and you're going to have to pay that no matter what. The assembly is the cheap part.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

i called a few shops around about prices on assembly, and its complete BS
Im not talking about any sponsors here, just shops local to me.
Prices were anywhere from $800-1200
screw that
Old 01-24-2004, 02:58 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Gotta remember that $800 includes the machine shop costs most likely, as well as the builders liability incase he has to waste some time a week later rebuilding it or servicing it.

I'd be curious to see an actual breakdown of where the cash goes.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would say have someone that has done it before, and knows what they are doing, be there coaching you(he does the first piston and you do the rest). you have to start somewhere no? when you're done buy him some brew, give him some time behind the wheel(not in that order), and tell him you owe him one.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can do it in my sleep. This is my second LS1 that Ive built (first one toasted a main bearing due to the line bore was waaaaaay off on a new block). Its not hard (to me) at all. Its like a puzzle. You just have to know your torque specs and clearences. Go buy the Hanyes manual at the auto parts store and skim through it. Its pretty good at explaining how to do it.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

There are lots of little details that you will need to know. Piston and rod direction, how to check the clearances, how to set up and check the end play. You can do it, just pay attention to details and get a book like suggested above.

Hey, if the block and head are used then you need to get it line bored (new bearing size), decked, and the heads need a light cut on them. You should also have the cam bearings checked.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

What would an excellent set of tools cost to do this? Assuming one has all the basic tools, TQ wrenches, etc.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Great thread. I've been thinking of a stock displacement forged setup. I want to assemble, myself ............just for the hell of it. What would you guys suggest as the best book to buy as a reference?? The Haynes book is suggested- would that be the best? Opinions????? TIA.

OH.....and a Big Me Too on what Cannibal (Levi) said.

joel
Old 01-24-2004, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by onyxxtreme
i called a few shops around about prices on assembly, and its complete BS
Im not talking about any sponsors here, just shops local to me.
Prices were anywhere from $800-1200
screw that
why is it BS have you ever priced the equipment it takes to do the needed work? the $800-1200 is for all of the needed machine work and the assembly. just the assembly would be maybe $400-500. I am not trying to flame anyone just give you an idea of what it cost the shop to do the work since the equipment can and does cost many thousands to buy, even used.

Also as Cannibal said how much does it cost to buy the needed hand tools, it is not outrageous but isn't cheap either.

Now i am not saying not to do it yourself as it is not all that difficult, you just need to know what you are doing and take your time and check everything twice.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jrp
if you have to ask engine building isnt for you. have an experienced shop do it for you.

he has a good point......if you are asking how much the tools are, then its a pretty good bet that you don't have the exsperience to build an engine right now.

Have a local shop THAT YOU TRUST (talk to a number of shops before you decide on one) build it and go WATCH them. Any good shop will let you watch the assembly of YOUR motor (I would be werry of one that didn't want me around...a kind of "what do you guys have to hide?" ) and ask quetions. Thats how you learn.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:22 AM

Look at the LS1 book that came out too.. It goes into some of it also.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

where can you get those haynes auto books cause I need a book to get me step by step through the assembly.

Quick Reply: Is it tough to assemble a motor...