Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifters for higher spring pressure and moderate RPM

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you were more right than he is in the way you were thinking. You are measuring area in 3 dimensions not just looking for the area of a flat circle. If you were trying to give the assumption of the cyl pressure on the face of the exhaust valve, then he would be right.

Valve stem = ~.314 ish. That is the diameter of it. Use your math accordingly then.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John@Scoggin
You are thinking in 2 dimensions. Add a 3rd one in there and maybe you will get closer.... read the first post.
Well ezxplain it...don't beat around the bush!
Old 09-01-2010, 01:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bush is 3 dimensional. Do I need to say more? You have 2 dimensions in your math. Is the back of a valve flat? The face is somewhat, so that would be more correct for 2d math, but the back transitions 90* from parallel to perpendicular. That is the area at the back of the valve.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Beau@SDPC
The bush is 3 dimensional. Do I need to say more? You have 2 dimensions in your math. Is the back of a valve flat? The face is somewhat, so that would be more correct for 2d math, but the back transitions 90* from parallel to perpendicular. That is the area at the back of the valve.
i realize this thread is old, however any horizontal pressure forces on the back of the valve area cancel out. The net force in line with the valve stem acts on the 2D sealing area (minus the cross secitonal area of the valve stem itself).

Quick Reply: Lifters for higher spring pressure and moderate RPM