Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP...where to get VITON valve seals for 5/16 valves / .500 guides???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 11:38 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HELP...where to get VITON valve seals for 5/16 valves / .500 guides???

I'm replacing the teflon seals that came on my heads.

I bought some Fel-Pro stock replacement seals (see attached) that are Viton, but they are for a .492" guide / 8mm valve and they won't go on the guides too tight. I need some exactly like these but for a .500" guide and 5/16" valve. This should be a common SBC part but the local parts store idiots can't find anything.

My car has been apart for a week now and I need to find some seals. HELP PLEASE!

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails HELP...where to get VITON valve seals for 5/16 valves / .500 guides???-valvesealsa.jpg   HELP...where to get VITON valve seals for 5/16 valves / .500 guides???-valvesealsa.jpg  
Old 01-25-2004, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fastWS6

I bought some Fel-Pro stock replacement seals (see attached) that are Viton, but they are for a .492" guide / 8mm valve and they won't go on the guides too tight. I need some exactly like these but for a .500" guide and 5/16" valve. This should be a common SBC part but the local parts store idiots can't find anything.

My car has been apart for a week now and I need to find some seals. HELP PLEASE!

Thanks,
I believe that crane sells what you are looking for.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1fastWS6

Thanks,

I have the polyacrylic on the shelf and should have Viton next week...

Ed
Old 01-25-2004, 02:56 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your not running dual springs, I've got Viton seals that'll fit. If your using dual springs, I've got factory GM seal kits that will work.

Richard
Old 01-26-2004, 10:55 AM
8 Second Club

Thanks Richard. I'm running stock dia. dual springs. The Fel-Pro's I found fit the springs, just not the larger guide real well. Also, do you think using a seal designed for a larger 8mm valve with a 5/16" valve will be a problem? There's only .0025" difference in diameter.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact seal you are looking for setting on the shelf. Just give me a call if you need them.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to my machine shop and i was told the seals dont just wear out that fast. excesive guide clearance is the only thing that will cause that to happen. the viton seals may not be the fix. You should bring the heads to a machine shop to check the guide clearance. better safe then sorry.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:18 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by mike m
I talked to my machine shop and i was told the seals dont just wear out that fast. excesive guide clearance is the only thing that will cause that to happen. the viton seals may not be the fix. You should bring the heads to a machine shop to check the guide clearance. better safe then sorry.
The seals aren't worn out........they were cracked from bad install.

Paul,
I'll give you a call. Almost forgot that I talked to you about that on the phone the other day. Thanks,

Craig

Quick Reply: HELP...where to get VITON valve seals for 5/16 valves / .500 guides???