Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hp/rpm limit with katech rod bolts.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hp/rpm limit with katech rod bolts.

so i know on average that one wouldnt want to push a stock bottom LS1 much past 5-525rwhp. power adder or no. for conversation's sake. we will use those numbers unless someone say's otherwise.

i know rpm is the killer, and the weakest link is the rod bolts. so by upgrading to katech's bolts, how much more can the bottom take. i guess til the weak like is the pistons? they advertise they raise your rpm and hp limit...

idk, im looking to see around 430 with my h/c/i setup. and i want to spray around 150. so that (guesstimation) puts me around 580-almost 600.

if i upgrade my rod bolts, stock bottom still. worth it or no? would the stock bottom take 600 on juice? (i know, tune, fuel, plugs, all that, just asking by removing that weak link, now what can we see)
Old 09-09-2010, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

It's not the question of how much can it hold, rather more how long can it hold together. Yes the rod bolts will help with the rpm. But standard rods, pistons it's like asking how long is a piece of string and how much can I pull on it before it breaks.

I've seen countless LS1's last over 60k miles pounded everyday.

Provided it doesn't live on spray and the tune is spot on regarding timing and your peak cylinder temps remain below 600'c it should be good.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your walking a fine line with 600, but its been done countless times, I was doing it back in 03 with my old vette.. Ring land on #7 gave out on a 200 hit..

7k rpm.. with the rod bolts... you could go higher.. but I doubt you'll have power up there.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

At the hp levels your talking about, detonation (any) is going to be the killer. You've got hyper pistons with pm rods in a stock application, and neither one can handle much detonation. Your tune/fuel is going to determine how long it lasts.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

hm. maybe instead of the stock shortblock ill just build something else....
Old 09-09-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Assuming your engine is in good shape, consider keeping the crank and replacing the rods and pistons with forged parts. Lots of FI using this configuration and pushihg 750 plus.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zacht
so i know on average that one wouldnt want to push a stock bottom LS1 much past 5-525rwhp. power adder or no. for conversation's sake. we will use those numbers unless someone say's otherwise.

i know rpm is the killer, and the weakest link is the rod bolts. so by upgrading to katech's bolts, how much more can the bottom take. i guess til the weak like is the pistons? they advertise they raise your rpm and hp limit...

idk, im looking to see around 430 with my h/c/i setup. and i want to spray around 150. so that (guesstimation) puts me around 580-almost 600.

if i upgrade my rod bolts, stock bottom still. worth it or no? would the stock bottom take 600 on juice? (i know, tune, fuel, plugs, all that, just asking by removing that weak link, now what can we see)
I can tell you that you won't have to worry about the rod bolts anymore. As for the exact rpm limit, we don't exactly know because we've never failed one root cause. Your pistons would fail before the rod bolts.

Quick Reply: hp/rpm limit with katech rod bolts.