Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads/cam with 100k ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did my cam swap at 148k. only thing that got hurt was my clutch couldn't hold the new power levels and took a crap on me. i say go for it. btw i have a tr 230/224
Old 09-24-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have asked myself the same question before...Think about it..Your basically putting a brand new top end on the car......It actually should run 100 times better and be faster....Bottom end is going to go when it goes...........
Old 09-25-2010, 03:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by maxspeed05V
I know oil can be a issue, I was thinking of going with a ported ls6 pump with a ls2 timing chain. Unless you guys think aftermarket would be better. But I've always had best luck with oem.

What about lifters ? Ls7 or should stock be ok.
Ported LS6 pump or the replacement melling oil pump work well, good idea while you are there to go ahead and do an oil pump, can never be too safe on that one. Also the LS2 timing chain is a proven upgrade that holds up, not really like the OE LS1 didn't but the LS2 is just fine for a H/C car. Really no need for high end over the top timing chain set ups, just a good quality one and you will be good. And I fully agree with staying as OEM as possible so that is a good plan. Cam, proper length pushrods, upgraded roller rockers whether they be the stock upgraded trunion bearing rockers or aftermarket rockers like harland sharps is also a very good idea and some good valve springs and you will be fine. A lot of people have no issues with the stock rockers but plenty have so I would go ahead and do that too. I have read mixed info on which lifters are best or even actually if there is any difference in the OE lifters so contact Texas Speed, I am sure they can point you the right direction there. After all that you should have a very stout and dependable setup.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Ported LS6 pump or the replacement melling oil pump work well, good idea while you are there to go ahead and do an oil pump, can never be too safe on that one. Also the LS2 timing chain is a proven upgrade that holds up, not really like the OE LS1 didn't but the LS2 is just fine for a H/C car. Really no need for high end over the top timing chain set ups, just a good quality one and you will be good. And I fully agree with staying as OEM as possible so that is a good plan. Cam, proper length pushrods, upgraded roller rockers whether they be the stock upgraded trunion bearing rockers or aftermarket rockers like harland sharps is also a very good idea and some good valve springs and you will be fine. A lot of people have no issues with the stock rockers but plenty have so I would go ahead and do that too. I have read mixed info on which lifters are best or even actually if there is any difference in the OE lifters so contact Texas Speed, I am sure they can point you the right direction there. After all that you should have a very stout and dependable setup.
All good points...might want to steer away from the HS rockers tho...several threads on issues with those, the YT ultralites are preferred I believe (good thread here---> https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...ts-inside.html )
Old 09-26-2010, 08:19 AM
9 Second Club

I had 110k when I did my heads/cam swap. Seems fine to me. Basically replaced everything in the top-end with high quality parts, so I expect it to last longer than it would have stock.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

Did my cam swap on mine at 102,000 miles with all supporting stuff such as valve springs, pushrods, oil pump, gaskets, plugs, wires timing chain and all that good stuff. Loved it for awhile then wanted more so I did my head swap at 108,000 miles and now have 113,000 on it and absolutely love it! No problems at all besides my clutch took a **** on me the other week, but it was time for a new one anyways