Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water seeping on new head gasket -not fired yet

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Water seeping on new head gasket -not fired yet

I rebuilt my engine (5.7 LS1) and am certain the deck was perfect and the head was perfect. I used new GM MLS gaskets with a light coat of copper spray. I havnt fired the engine up yet cause im still putting the car back together.

I noticed one of the headgaskets in the middle by the exhaust ports will drip a tiny drip once every half hour. Its so tiny its weird.

Will this seal once the engine is ran and heated up? id think a complete aluminum engine would have quite a bit of thermal expansion to it.

Anyone else ever see this?
Old 09-28-2010, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the exact same problem. Just got it all together last night, tried to start it, but left a ground wire off so it didn't fire, thank god. So as I was looking for that ground wire, I noticed a small drip of anitfreeze in the middle of the driver's side head. New heads, new gaskets, followed torque specs to a T, wtf??

Only differnce for me is I'm using a 6.0 block with 853 heads. Any help would be great, if I figure it out, I'll let you know....
Old 09-28-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WizardofDetailing
I'm having the exact same problem. Just got it all together last night, tried to start it, but left a ground wire off so it didn't fire, thank god. So as I was looking for that ground wire, I noticed a small drip of anitfreeze in the middle of the driver's side head. New heads, new gaskets, followed torque specs to a T, wtf??

Only differnce for me is I'm using a 6.0 block with 853 heads. Any help would be great, if I figure it out, I'll let you know....
Do you have the 853s that have the notches in them? If so I think you have to use the graphite gaskets for the early 853s.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Mine are (i forgot what casting) stock 99 vette ones. And I did see the notch in the head, and thats where its seeping from. WTF?? These were supposed to be for this application. Im going to be pissed if thats the reason. Im going to fire it up and see probably. Its such a small drip it could seal itself.... I hope.

Autoparts stores dont even list the graphite ones anymore. I got mine from Summit when I ordered all my other parts. But I checked local stores and all they offered were the MLS. I wanted the other ones. grrrrrr.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
Mine are (i forgot what casting) stock 99 vette ones. And I did see the notch in the head, and thats where its seeping from. WTF?? These were supposed to be for this application. Im going to be pissed if thats the reason. Im going to fire it up and see probably. Its such a small drip it could seal itself.... I hope.

Autoparts stores dont even list the graphite ones anymore. I got mine from Summit when I ordered all my other parts. But I checked local stores and all they offered were the MLS. I wanted the other ones. grrrrrr.
My guess is that is your issue also.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Im not understanding what is preventing them from working?
Old 09-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Teching In

There is a small notch (i believe used to help remove the heads) on the older blocks that does not allow the use of the newer MLS GM head gaskets. The rubber seals on the MLS gasket do not seal this notch correctly and it causes water to seep through.

You need graphite head gaskets son. Been there.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

He's definately right. Took my car apart again yesterday. Nothing wrong with anything except that stupid notch. Made a trip to summit and bought the right ones this time. Hopefully I'll have it all back together today and see if that fixes it. I'm sure it will.

You could just buy different heads if you really want to use the metal gaskets. Out of my price range at the moment. Small fortune just on sensors for this thing.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WizardofDetailing
He's definately right. Took my car apart again yesterday. Nothing wrong with anything except that stupid notch. Made a trip to summit and bought the right ones this time. Hopefully I'll have it all back together today and see if that fixes it. I'm sure it will.

You could just buy different heads if you really want to use the metal gaskets. Out of my price range at the moment. Small fortune just on sensors for this thing.
Did you grab a new set of head bolts?
Old 09-29-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Heads are off the car.... sure enough.. The sealing part of the MLS gasket go right around the notch.
Live and learn I guess.

Quick Reply: Water seeping on new head gasket -not fired yet