Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone considered Nikasil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Has anyone considered Nikasil?

Has anyone explored the possibility of using Nikasil or a similar coating in the LS1 in place of or in addition to the factory sleeves?

I have been looking into this information over the past few months and their use has become quite widespread. Porsche has been using Nikasil or a similar product for years. All of the Japanese manufacturers use one coating or another in their automotive and motorcycle engines. There are quite a few companies located in the US specializing in these coatings. Nikasil is a treademark of MAHLE the company that provides pistons for the C5R racing program.

According to the test results I have seen the wear characteristics and lubricity of Nikasil bores appears to be superior in almost every way to steel sleeves. It is also considerably (relatively speaking) to steel liners.

Please post if you have or know of someone that has looked into or is using something like this.

thank you
Old 01-28-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.lestac.co.uk/bmw/nikasil.htm#what_is
Old 01-28-2004, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the link.
I haven't heard about the BMW incident in particular until I had read that. I know that elevated amounts of sulfur combined with heat and pressure are detrimental to nickel. I had figured that was one of the reasons this coating is not used on diesel engines. I did not however think that our gasoline was "high sulfur".Lack of foresight on my part I guess.
Does anyone( Unit213 is a Cehm Eng isn't he?) know the relative sulfur content of your average fuel sold in America? If you answer that previous question can you please compare this to a "ultra low sulfur fuel" for reference as I am not a chemical engineer.

If Nikasil itself is not a viable option there are at least several other such as Alusil and Elnisil. I believe even Nikasil should still be considered viable as I have had _no_ issues with any motorcycles I have owned with Nikasil bores and they use the exact same fuel I put in my cars.Nor have I heard anyone I ride with or any motorcycle mechanics I know make issue of this. Dirt bikes are torn down on a regular basis and are checked constantly for wear and breakage. I know one of the motorcycle wrenches I talk to would have had to complain by now if this were common. It seems odd to me that automobile engines have a problem yet motorcycle engines do not.

Anyone reelse have any reason why this would or wouldn't work? I am looking for information and opinions from either side (for or against)

If this did work big bore motors would be signifigantly cheaper,lighter and more reliable.

thanks
Old 01-29-2004, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

I work on late modal drag bikes and thats all we use, but the casting of the ls1 block has holes in it and the sleaves fill the gap, and the nikasil will hold up just as well as iron.At the shop i work at we have a turbo busa 1.3 lt make 478hp.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tollway bandit 1
I work on late modal drag bikes and thats all we use, but the casting of the ls1 block has holes in it and the sleaves fill the gap, and the nikasil will hold up just as well as iron.At the shop i work at we have a turbo busa 1.3 lt make 478hp.

That is information I did not have. I was wondering about what lie behind the sleeves in the LS1.

Do you see anyway a coating like nikasil can be used to increas the bore diameter or will it be limited to be applied over existing sleeves?
Old 01-29-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

i use to race sport bikes in ccs series and i have had a company called milliunum re do my cylinder walls. there work is excellent! go to a search engine and find their site good luck!!! from what i hear, the cemicals that are used in this process are extremely toxic and that is why not alot comnanies do it.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

I have found quite a few companies doing the work. I am wondering if this is something you can do to the LS1.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some info I got from Stephen Demirjian of Race Engine Development regarding the use of this:

Nikasil does not adhere well to cast iron, ductile iron. Reason for this is graphite on the surface of the iron. Some Cup teams ran nikasil liners that were very thin wall steel sleeves ~ .047" thick. Most found it was not much help considering the tremendous expense so they have gone back to using the conventional block.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:36 PM
Launching!

BMW went to alusil instead of nikasil after that incident. There are still alot of cars out there with the nikasil blocks..some are haven't problems, some aren't. Anyone know about the alusil process?

-Chuck

Quick Reply: Has anyone considered Nikasil?