Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good motor swap for Sierra

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 03:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good motor swap for Sierra

I don't really post much but I'm seeking some opinions/guidance from some of you all. I'm wanting to do a motor swap (I think) pretty soon on my 1999 new body Sierra. As it sits it has 120000k on a stock 4.8/4l60e and it is my daily. All I'm wanting out of a motor swap at the moment is something fairly stout that wont break the bank or be constantly under the knife. I'd like to at least be able to pull on your average-lightly modded Lightning, SRT Ram, or any other perfromance truck/suv. So how should I go about doing this? I know some decent numbers can come from a 4.8 if done right, but I'd rather not have to be working on the only motor I have although it would be the cheaper route. I guess my next option would be a swap and if I did that I'd want a 6.0. So the big question would be lq4 or lq9? Yes I know there is a 20 hp difference and the c/p ratios are slightly different and I know down the road I'd want to do either forced induction or make a 408 out of it or maybe even both, but that's way down the road. For right now though, I just want to build a stout motor that isn't bored. I'm not looking to be the fastest guy around town...yet, lol. I just want a quick(er) truck. Give me some advice on what motor to go with (or stay with) for now and how I should build it from oilpan to heads!
Old 10-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

if your sticking to stock and want to run higher rpms the LQ9 would be your best bet (full floating wrist pins, better pistons) and the cam on a stock lq9 is the 01-02 ls1 fbody cam, and the 317 heads that come on a LQ9 or even the LQ4 are basically a 71 or 72 cc version of the ls6 heads that are 64 cc. find a good shape LQ9 and maybe do a cam only swap and you should be in a 400+ hp range with a good tune, Oh and plan on a built trany too the stocker won't last long with the increase in power. Should give the compition a run for there money
Old 10-18-2010, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

i have been watching, reading, learning. i am also wanting to swap my 5.3
very similar situation.
it is as cheap or 300 bucks more to just buy one of texas speed 370shortblocks and know it was built right with a forged assembly than it is for me to rebuild my 5.3 and minimal down time.

if that is something you would consider, my votes go to TSP,and SDPC.
good prices=good value product

i have been lusting for two damn years, i guess i could pimp myself out

BTW my 5.3 has 224,265 miles 2001 silverado
just sayin
Old 10-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Ya the 4l60e is only meant for about 360 tq max right? What do you think it would run to have one built for somewhere around 600hp? I was thinking of just slowly piecing together an lq together, just finding deals from people that have lost interest or changed plans. I've never built a motor before, but I'm very mechanically inclined and have done plenty of work on mine and other's trucks. I can basically do anything with the right tools and a laptop with internet access. How hard of a task will a swap be?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by godmadechevy
Ya the 4l60e is only meant for about 360 tq max right? What do you think it would run to have one built for somewhere around 600hp? I was thinking of just slowly piecing together an lq together, just finding deals from people that have lost interest or changed plans. I've never built a motor before, but I'm very mechanically inclined and have done plenty of work on mine and other's trucks. I can basically do anything with the right tools and a laptop with internet access. How hard of a task will a swap be?
i would would hit up performabuilt tansmissions there a sponsor on here, i just put one of there heavy hauler trannies in my dads 04 ls6 swaped suburban and it does the job without any problems.

as far as the swap it is all plug and play, if you plan to do the tuning your self, that will probably be the most time consuming part, hell if your on your game you could have the motor out in a couple hours.

Before my dad and i thought we needed a different tranny to handle the increase in power, the first day we spent tunning the ls6 we ended up smoking the stock tranny

Another thing you might look into is if SDPC still has a few LS6 long block crate motors left for the price its one hell of motor and you would loose about 75 lb off the nose of ur truck beeing that the ls6 is an aluminum block. (my dad and i questioned the power band of the ls6 in a 6000 lb suburban for everday driving but it is turning out to be very nice, and in comparision is has a better power band than the 400hp 6.2l cadillac escaldes and gmc denalli's in my opinion)

Last edited by 96z28; 10-18-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all of the info I'll have to look into that when I'm ready to get started! As far as tuning I'll probably get it tuned by someone like nelson, I have heard alot good things about them. Is there anyone in the Dallas/FtWorth Area that does good tunes? As far as the LS6 though, how good would the aluminum block hold up? I was thinking of just sticking with iron for strength in case I wanted to do forced induction down the road. How much do you think I could realistically get out of an LS6 with all motor? If I could just get around 550-600 out of something with all motor I'd be pretty content for a while.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by godmadechevy
Thanks for all of the info I'll have to look into that when I'm ready to get started! As far as tuning I'll probably get it tuned by someone like nelson, I have heard alot good things about them. Is there anyone in the Dallas/FtWorth Area that does good tunes? As far as the LS6 though, how good would the aluminum block hold up? I was thinking of just sticking with iron for strength in case I wanted to do forced induction down the road. How much do you think I could realistically get out of an LS6 with all motor? If I could just get around 550-600 out of something with all motor I'd be pretty content for a while.
you could do a forged bottom end later in life with the ls6 and run a D1 no problem. all motor with an ls6 you could get the 550-600, rod bolts atleast and heads cam and intake should get you there. if you are wanting to do the forced induction and or nitrous your cheapest route for big power would be a 402-408 iron block and 8-8.5 compresion especially with a D1 or larger. If your goals are that high with your truck i would be probably convert to a 4l80 trans
Old 10-19-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Do you know what 550-600 HP is really like? Even 400 for that matter. If not, I think you'd be amazed what 400 RWHP is like.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

i know what 400hp feels like, for me it gets boring after a couple days