Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forged motor blown up....shop does not care!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Forged motor blown up....shop does not care!!

So I had a motor built by Leading Edge Performance here in Las Vegas I have since put about 6K-7K miles on it. The motor has smoked from day one and it ate coolant as well. It also went through a quart of oil for every oil change. I wanted a leak down done, but they just never got to it. It was supposed to be a built 383 for a 400 shot direct port, I only planned to hit it with a 250 at the most, but I wanted it over built. Well, about a month ago I was racing a friend ON THE MOTOR, I hit 4th gear, let out, and hear what sounded like rocks go out of the exhaust. The car still ran and I drove it home. I drove it to the shop the next day because I was planning on having a tune done for the 200 shot. Well, they checked it out and said it melted a piston so I had it towed home. They said they had no room for my car and it would be 2-3 weeks before they could get to it. I decided I would pull it apart and turns out that #5 and #7 were broken.

I found some things wrong with the car as I tore it down. Evap was not hooked up and no egr gaskets on the headers. Anyway, so I finally had the short block pulled out and took it to a very good motor builder here in town. They tore it down. He said, "So far the crank, rods and most everything looks good, but the moly rings and pistons seem to have got alot of heat." I asked moly??? Well, should have had a total seal steel top ring in it and 2nd napier. As of right now looks like a Plasma moly. The real kicker is my custom nitrous pistons. They are off the shelf Diamond #11504, I called today and the shop told me. lol They are suggested for small nitrous applications. I wanted a built motor for a 400 shot and got a 150-200 piston. Here they are.

The shop keeps blaming gas and that I was spraying nitrous. I also was told another 3-4K to fix it. The car had been sprayed on a 150 shot a total of about 7 times racing and about another 7 times tuning it. The car has not been sprayed since February of this year because my clutch could not take it.

I am pissed to say the least. I have been a great customer/friend to this place and this is what I get.

So, in the end, I got a motor that smoked, ate coolant, and now blew up. Was told to let it "break in." After that was told it needed 3 filters for crank case pressure . Still did not fix the problem and the motor is now in pieces. I took it back to the shop many times but they just kept pushing it off. Now we have a major problem and nothing is being done.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a local shop here in Alb. That blows man. sorry to hear about that.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Banned

so in 6-7k miles, you didnt get the smoking fixed, the coolant and oil usage fixed? none of these should have been an issue on a new "built" engine.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Banned

So it was never right and you still sprayed it? GEEZ
Old 10-23-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HotSilverBird
So it was never right and you still sprayed it? GEEZ
Was told by the shop it needed to break and the smoking was not big deal. We added three filters for crank case because he said that was the cause, but it was not fixed.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

if the motor was using coolant,oil and smoked and they told you that it was normal and you believed it??And spraying on it like that is just asking for trouble.Who tuned it and what software were they using.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

if it smoked from day one, used oil, and coolant, i would NOT have put 6-7k miles on and no way in hell that i wouldve sprayed it. i can see where you are upset as they told you smoking was "normal".
Old 10-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Engine was built and finished 10/2009. Several 1/4 mile passes and freeway roll ons. DD every other day.
Car has been 10.3x's@over 135mph on a small 150 shot. (Tune was dead on.)
Car had the sxxx sprayed out of it. Car currently had the motor tune in it not NOS tune. If it was sprayed on that tune it would explain the detonation issue???
Engine machineing and clearances was checked by another professional engine shop and was perfect other than the huge amount of detonation damage to the pistons and rings. Even the bearings and head gaskets were perfect. The tune is the same tune that has been in the car from the begining. Tunes do not change.(We created two tunes for the customer Motor & NOS). If the car was sprayed with the current motor tune that was in the car and not the NOS tune it would certainly have caused this damage. The pistons are forged 2618 Diamonds with a Diamond ring pack. Still plenty of piston and ring for a tuned 150 shot.

It would have never broke ring lands/rings like this on a motor pass. A lean issue would not break rings and ring lands. This damage is from Detonation Period. You told me yourself the last time you sprayed the car was in Feburary. Now it blows up on the motor??? 6 months later???

I told you we would take care of the R&R and check out the engine to determine if it was a motor machining/assembly issue or a parts failure. You were not willing to wait 2-3 weeks for an appointment. I had been on the phone with you for hours on hours trying to help with this issue. I told you from the beginning I would work with you on the repair, and you chose to take it into your own hands. Ring gaps were perfect as well...

PS: You were never told this motor would handle a 400 shot. You should not of sprayed the car on the motor tune..

I thought this was only a H/C car? I also think we should still send a piston and ring back to Diamond.

Our doors are always open to you.

Garth
LEP
Old 10-24-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This last post the owner is just posting the same thing on all of my threads. He does not want to help. He did not want this to be out in the open. There are a few other cars that have been messed up, not just mine.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Facts are facts. 11 months of driving. 10.30's @over 135mph. Motor tune on N20. DETONATION. We offered from the begining to fix and work with you on the car. Engines can break. It is part of going fast..

I have all the logs and the tunes of the car if any wants too see them.

Garth
Old 10-24-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How about next time deal with a reputable LS1Tech sponsor. Call TSP they will help you out.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If he paid for a big shot of nitrous capable engine, then that is what he should have gotten. 10.30's is not an excuse of abuse if it was built with those intentions, but the car should not have been driven with the above issues. It seems like it wasn't made clear to the owner at all that the tune was not for nitrous also.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you paid for good pistons and rings, and didn't get them take the scum bags to court, its an easy win
Old 10-24-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSmoken
if it smoked from day one, used oil, and coolant, i would NOT have put 6-7k miles on and no way in hell that i wouldve sprayed it. i can see where you are upset as they told you smoking was "normal".

No doubt!

Also - get an itemized inventory of the parts you are paying for - and don't be surprised when they use cheap pistons!

I'm not trying to knock on you - but I wouldn't have taken it without a proper leak down, itemized inventory, smoke-free - non-coolant eating scenario.

It totally sucks guy. That really sucks.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TVWilkes
How about next time deal with a reputable LS1Tech sponsor. Call TSP they will help you out.
I agree, I hate the mom and pop places. Give me someone with experience. However, it is up to the buyer to know what he is buying.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VegasLSX
Facts are facts. 11 months of driving. 10.30's @over 135mph. Motor tune on N20. DETONATION. We offered from the begining to fix and work with you on the car. Engines can break. It is part of going fast..

I have all the logs and the tunes of the car if any wants too see them.

Garth

Car went 10.3's twice, 2-3 months after install. Never saw N20 again.

From another builder:Food for thought!
The Carbon build up between the 1st and 2nd rings and below are signs of combustion caused from rings that never sealed! I'm sure if you run your finger on the edge of the rings they will be sharp like a knife.
It takes no rocket science to know if an engine has rings that are not seated, oil will find it's way to the combustion chamber!
Oil in chamber causes DETONATION.. ADD NOS and this is what you have!!
Old 10-24-2010, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

there is a lot of talk about nitrous oxide system or "NOS" possibly being the factor. maybe you should contact them rofl.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

why would you spray something if you felt it was not right? if it is using coolant and oil it is not right and never should have been sprayed PERIOD. oil in the combustion chamber can and will cause detnation and more so with more cylinder pressure, say like nitrous use. and if your using coolant you have issues with cylinder head sealing why would you throw more at it? I guess id be pissed too and to be honest we will never know the "truth".

As I see it I'm not calling anyone a liar but their interpitation of what happend is different on each side and that is normal, the truth is some place in the middle usually. so i hope yo uget yoru stuff taken care of and if the shop helps out that is great but i tell you what don't come on here and burn a bunch of bridges because that will not help.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

Check the pistons they should have a part number on them if is not what your invoice says take them to court!! also I don't think it was fair that they were telling you that you had to wait 2-3 weeks to work on your car you should be priority F**k you spend a few thousand on them and that is how they dish a customer VegasLSX buuuuuuuu!!
Old 10-24-2010, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

missed the from another builder at the end of your post.....

Quick Reply: Forged motor blown up....shop does not care!!