Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forged motor blown up....shop does not care!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 04:08 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the shop didnt give you paperwork on the parts you bought? i would have wanted the boxes,reciepts,and used parts back
Old 10-26-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are the stats from the shop that the motor is at now.

#1 piston top ring is lifting, 2nd ring stuck on piston

Moly is coming off 4 other top rings

Top ring is down .180

.125 bewtween 1st and 2nd ring

Last edited by TransAm2002; 10-26-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

so the long and the short is your motor was, by your standards, not right (i agree if all is right smoking, using oil and coolant is not right but im not there to see the motor) and you still sprayed it. If it was using oil it was in the chamber so even with a "good" nitrous tune when there is oil in there it is going to be detonation. and that is what killed your pistons. I don't care what you have in it for pistons.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Teching In

All this damage from a motor only run?????????????/
Old 10-26-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VegasLSX
Garth,
Whether you believe me or not, I did not spray the car. We "were" friends and I was at your shop a couple times a week every week. Why would I make this up. I am a man of my word and this motor was not right from day one.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

why did you let a new motor leave your shop that used oil and coolant in the first place?
Old 10-26-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Both people are to blame... maybe the motor was built wrong but the fact is he drove the vehicle... If something was wrong he should have gone back right away but instead he waited and look what happened now.. BAM and its magically all of the builders fault?
Maybe I read this wrong but I beleive it was said that he sprayed it a couple time with a 150 shot... then he was complaining that the pistons were only good for a 200 shot? so basically they should be ok. Since everyone is pointing fingers I think you ran the all motor tune with to much nitrous and now youre all mad cuz it broke.

And there is nothing wrong with ma and pa shops...
Old 10-26-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lambert695
Both people are to blame... maybe the motor was built wrong but the fact is he drove the vehicle... If something was wrong he should have gone back right away but instead he waited and look what happened now.. BAM and its magically all of the builders fault?
Maybe I read this wrong but I beleive it was said that he sprayed it a couple time with a 150 shot... then he was complaining that the pistons were only good for a 200 shot? so basically they should be ok. Since everyone is pointing fingers I think you ran the all motor tune with to much nitrous and now youre all mad cuz it broke.

And there is nothing wrong with ma and pa shops...

kinda have to agree with lambert here. i mean **** theres no job in the world that if something was wrong (workmanship wise) that someone wouldn't just say "hey man, this isn't right" i think that admitting something was wrong from the get go and you said hell with it, thats on you. im a carpenter, so if somethings wrong in someones house, or they dont like it....im fixing it, and probably not getting paid....but if they live with it...then decide months later they dont like it....thats not my fault. you can't play lemon law after so long. it doesnt work that way. also, you stated the motor wasnt built to your specs.....you should have paperwork on this....i mean, if they said they put in weisco's and you have paperwork on them....and low and behold you pull out diamond's.....thats on them.....that was an example....i forgot what pistons you have.

you cant buy something (even false advertised, if thats the case) and turn around and try and play the lemon law stuff. no, there's nothing wrong with ma and pa shops, thats not the point here. you had something you weren't satisfied with, and lived with it, so by you doing that you accepted what that company did for you.....paid them, called it a day....

next time, get paperwork....make sure everything's right....no leaks, burning oil....tapping...whatever, if its not right (RIGHT AWAY) thats on you.....

sorry for the rant, but man...you shouldnt bash shops right away after saying "it never ran right when i got it".....thats when they're willing to work with you and fix it....but who wants to warranty a motor after that long, and what you said?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did tell the shop about the issues. Was told to let it "break in." After all that was told "if it breaks we will fix it, no problem." Guess he meant $3-4K everytime. I was fooled, not just by a shop but by a friend (at least I thought). That is why I let this go on. Never thought I would have gotten screwed over.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Regular

This guy is a retard we are talking about his F**king shop and the only thing he post is this coment what a looser!!
Old 10-27-2010, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

I'd straight up be like..

Old 10-27-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, took it to another expert today, probably would have taken it there in the first place but was told to take it to the first shop it went to.

The expert I took it to said there is ring butting, explained the bearings and everything to me while I was there. He said there was a definate problem from day one.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

so what was the ring end gap?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TransAm2002
Well, took it to another expert today, probably would have taken it there in the first place but was told to take it to the first shop it went to.

The expert I took it to said there is ring butting, explained the bearings and everything to me while I was there. He said there was a definate problem from day one.

You butted a 25 thousands top ring and a 28 thousands 2nd ring on the motor? I don't think so.
Ring end gaps are top .025 2nd .028

Are offer is still on the table to repair your DETONATED engine, even after 11 months of hard use.. and all the slandering post.

Please call our office for an appointment.

Garth
LEP
702 227-6579
Old 10-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 09camaro383
This guy is a retard we are talking about his F**king shop and the only thing he post is this coment what a looser!!
Here is some reading for you from a local forum. Please remember guy's there is always 2 sides to a story.

This is what we know is fact
1. Brandon and Brian went to go race each other.
2. Both cars got 100 at the same rebel at the same time.
3. Both cars reported problems after the race.
4. Both cars were dropped off on Friday at LEP to find out what happened.
5. Both cars were looked at and checked that day.
6. Brandon's first, the car had 3 wet not firing plugs with the gap beat closed on two. Further testing(bore scope)resulted with the conclusion that the car,for whatever reason had engine damage and would need to come apart to further diagnosis.
7. Brian's car was next to be check out on that day. The removal of brian's plugs reveled that the electrode straps were completely gone off two plugs and one other plug was fouled out. After looking down the cylinder with bore scope the tops of two pistons looked like the surface of the moon. Shiny with pits. The compression test resulted in 20 lbs difference between the cylinders. Conclusion on brians car is, yes you can drive it and yes it does run good after the new plugs BUT your engine has received damage that is irreversible and will show it's face in the future.
As a note, Brain soon took the car to another shop for a second opinon, they leaked it down, compression tested it again, dyno the car and check the tune for air fuels, all to no avail as LEP's tune was quote 'right on' however the other shop never did a visual inspect of the piston with the bore scope. Hence the talk about a shortblock in the future.
8. We have two lifts at LEP that can facilitate engine removal, both which were tied up. As we all know Brandon was told two to three weeks then we could get it in and have a gander.( let's not say it's over a month now because it has been at HBR for a week) three weeks plus a week is a month.
9. Brandon did not find our time frame to be acceptable so he took the car eles where.
10. LEP would have liked to be the first at the (crime scene)
In the diagnosis of what happened but we were not. With that I pose this question.
Car ( A ) engine was damaged as stated above and smoked, please choose from the following what could have been the cause after 11 months of racing on the street and track with nitrous use.
A. Smoking was caused by valve seals that were never replaced per customers request stating the heads are only x amount old. Then both cars received bad gas at the rebel.
B. Customer car had additional problems.
C. Customer lied and used nitrous on engine tune causing engine damage
D. The shop who built it never got the chance to check the engine and the car for further problems and cannot come to a definitive conclusion.

LEP has done loads of work for Brandon, from cleaning up other peoples NOS installs to heads, cams, halfshafts, rear suspension, and short block.
Is it possible that.... Both cars got bad gas from the rebel? Is it possible that.... the smoke could have been from valve seals? Is it possible they used the nitrous that was in the cars and ready to use, bottles full and fuel pressurized in the stand alone? Is it possible Brandon's car had other problems causing damage to engine? Remember is it possible....? Is it possible LEP don't care about their customers and want to have dissatisfied clients or comebacks and redoes?
The whole point is yes all those things are possible, some more than others, but we at Leading Edge Performance never got the chance to see and touch and follow-up with our end because of the customers impatience.
P.S how were the results of that fuel test? Did you even send it off?

Now you all have some more BS drama to discuss.
Our offer is still on the table to repair your DETONATED engine, even after 11 months of hard use.. and all the slandering post.

Please call our office for an appointment.

Garth
LEP
702 227-6579

Last edited by VegasLSX; 10-27-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Brandon, Im REALLY surprised... not that ANOTHER LEP motor has broken with little miles... or that another person was overlooked when asking for service... or that inside the broken motor another person found cheap parts, or even that another person was told it was all their fault... Im just shocked YOU of all people are having problems with Garth. I swear, I think Brandon's account was hijacked, i woulda sworn you two were best of friends.

What doesnt surprise me is Garth ducking and weaving once he has your money and your car is busted. That seems like a normal practice when things go wrong.

Sucks bro! Good luck getting it taken care of, we still need to line up!
Old 10-28-2010, 02:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe its just me but if im dropping the money on a built motor to handle "400 shot" im doing something about the tune(aka timing tuner) so that i dont accidentally run the nitrous on a motor tune which i have a huge feeling is what happened.

I think both sides are liars and this is all internet BS hearing half the story on both sides. OP, buy a built shortblock from any of the sponsors on this site and be done with it, taking it to 3 people to look at before giving the shop that built it a chance is just stupid, i know if i was the shop that built it you could kiss my *** if you tore it down yourself.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:34 AM
Staging Lane

TransAm2002: find the part number for the ring that got damaged. part number for your piston. i hope you still have receipt for the parts you bought. if you have the receipt or any sort of PROOF then this should definitely get u a free repair.

VegasLSX: IF that piston or ring does NOT match to what he paid for you better PRAY he dont take you to court. one way or another this is going to come out ur pocket for not putting in what he asked for. now if they are the parts he paid for after all that is said i dont think he's going to want to have you work on his engine. whatever reason the coolant ,oil problem was NOT the way a reputation shop would let customer leave with. THAT ALONE post on LS1TECH.COM just KILLED ur reputation.

for someone who paid 7,000 dollars on his engine build and neglect to use the N2O tune a little hard to believe but if that's the case you one big stupid "F" word.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Reading all this makes me side with the shop more. If an engine was that poorly built and if there was 11 monthes /6-7k miles of driving on it I think you would have seen something sooner....way sooner.

And it is the buyers responsibility to make sure you're getting what you ordered. When I have something at a machine shop I am in there with a caliper checking stuff. Or if you paid money like that, me personally would have asked for a list of all the specs, clearances, and parts. For you to get the wrong pistons and not know??? How does that happen? You spent the $7k but cant take 30 seconds to verify what you spent it on??? Who does that? For someone that is so irresponsible I could see them spraying it without checking what tune is in the car.

I forgot, we live in america where no one is accountable for their own actions.... its always someone elses fault.

Hate to break it to you OP, but i'd accept your loss and work with the shop to help you. You are not going to have any legal case at all. You'd just waste more money trying. Put your emotions aside and start to think logically.

As for the shops reputation.... I wouldnt even think it would be in question reading all this and looking at the pics.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Only 2 people know what happened to this motor. The OP and the shop owner. The TRUTH is somewhere in between the F bombs and finger pointing. I vote fail on both sides. Just another internet war/waste of time.

Quick Reply: Forged motor blown up....shop does not care!!