Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trex vs MS4 and 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krissoto
all the cams listed DO NOT require fly cutting the pistons. Either one will work in stock bottom end motors with unmilled heads. It all depends on what your goals are with the car. You can dd all those cams without a prob, and a 3500 would be fine for now. The bigger the better, esp with the ms4 and trex, but hell it is not at all necessary...Do some research, and then some more research, because had you just went off what SOME of these guys sd you might have spent more $$$ than you really needed too.. Another thing is call the cust serv of the manufactures, they are really helpful.....BTW I have the MS4 and I love it....
Who exactly are SOME of these guys?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say go with the ms4 is a good cam pulls like a train I haven't lost a race yet on Saturday I race a 2010 z06 I smoke that sucker!! all motor!!
Old 10-27-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 09camaro383
I say go with the ms4 is a good cam pulls like a train I haven't lost a race yet on Saturday I race a 2010 z06 I smoke that sucker!! all motor!!
Unless you went from a dig with you having tires and not him then chances are you smoked the driver, not the car.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trex 4400 stall and 430 gear and the 10 bolt wont stand a chance in hell .. from what i have read in the dyno section the TRex make the most power ps if you want it to sound radical Trex is the one go to you tube and type Trex and checksome of the vids and I second the arp rod bolts its a must do and its like 80 bucks
Old 10-27-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NHRA4MULA
Trex 4400 stall and 430 gear and the 10 bolt wont stand a chance in hell .. from what i have read in the dyno section the TRex make the most power ps if you want it to sound radical Trex is the one go to you tube and type Trex and checksome of the vids and I second the arp rod bolts its a must do and its like 80 bucks
I had a vig 4400 410s and my ten bolt lasted and is still lasting for two years.

Power is not everything, a better matched setup will always outperform a slightly higher HP mismatched setup.
Not to mention the power between the two is going to be less than 5rwhp.
You want it to sound more or less radical, adjust the idle.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

all the cams listed DO NOT require fly cutting the pistons. Either one will work in stock bottom end motors with unmilled heads. It all depends on what your goals are with the car. You can dd all those cams without a prob, and a 3500 would be fine for now. The bigger the better, esp with the ms4 and trex, but hell it is not at all necessary...Do some research, and then some more research, because had you just went off what SOME of these guys sd you might have spent more $$$ than you really needed too.. Another thing is call the cust serv of the manufactures, they are really helpful.....BTW I have the MS4 and I love it....
Hmmm...Where to start....

I had a trex in my car for a few days but had to pull the heads to change the lifters . Well, thankfully I never got on it cause when the heads were off, I noticed little marks on the pistions from where the valves hitting. So, you MAY need to fly cut with the Trex. As far as it not being necessary to have a bigger stall than a 3500 for the trex or ms4, you're right, it isn't. But to get the most out of those cams, it would be a GREAT idea to go bigger than a 3500. Just my .02 cents.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

That guy isn't paying attention and doesn't think things through all he way I don't believe. The op clearly stated they were already flycut, nobody told him he had to.iirc.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
That guy isn't paying attention and doesn't think things through all he way I don't believe. The op clearly stated they were already flycut, nobody told him he had to.iirc.
Truth.

Reading the thread is the problem, it requires READING.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

I know that he sd that pistons are already flycut, but for whatever reason it was stated, it is not necessary on those cams. As far your valves hitting, I have never heard of anyone having a problem with it on a TREX, they always say to chk PTV. Im no expert, but I have learned what works and what doesn't, he asked if it would work, I sd yes, he also sd he could have the converter reflashed. Alot of things can be done, to get to full potential of the cam. Good luck with whichever cam you do go with, all 3 are good cams. Guess listen to these 2, they seem to be the experts....
Old 10-27-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

I know that he sd that pistons are already flycut, but for whatever reason it was stated, it is not necessary on those cams. As far your valves hitting, I have never heard of anyone having a problem with it on a TREX, they always say to chk PTV. Im no expert, but I have learned what works and what doesn't, he asked if it would work, I sd yes, he also sd he could have the converter reflashed. Alot of things can be done, to get to full potential of the cam. Good luck with whichever cam you do go with, all 3 are good cams. Guess listen to these 2, they seem to be the experts....
There are plenty of people who have ptv clearance issues running that cam, i know two personally out of the handful of people I know running that cam.

I don't know what you hunk I said or didn't say, or if you understand my posts or even he ops post. Step back and take a deep breath.

I am suely not an expert but I have a pretty good grasp of what works and doesnt and how to properly setup a car instead of just adding commonly used parts, which most people do.
Just like me, it is obvious you aren't he expert here either.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Transam1
why the 233/239? i have also been told that a 228R would be good for my current setup...

I will spray if i have to but my goal is to not have to do that to put up some good numbers
i chose that out of the cams you listed because of your stall and gears, it also has very good ptv clearence. I have a feeling if you go with the 228 you will wish you went bigger. Look into the torquer series of cams also, they will be inbetween the bigger cams you have listed and the 228
Old 10-27-2010, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

I had the ms3 cam only for a while with a 3500 stall and 273 gears, yes 273 not 373. Just headers and a tune it went 12.12 @112 on 18"z06 rims on kumo street tires. So no u don't NEED ahuge converter and 410's....but when I did get a 4400 converter and 373's it did come alive more.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

Oh and I daily drove it all summer by choice back then too, no problems.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lemons12
Unless you went from a dig with you having tires and not him then chances are you smoked the driver, not the car.
We were on the freeway and did 2 pulls from about 60!! come to Arizona and i will show you or betters said I will smoke you!!
Old 10-27-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HottLS1Z
I had the ms3 cam only for a while with a 3500 stall and 273 gears, yes 273 not 373. Just headers and a tune it went 12.12 @112 on 18"z06 rims on kumo street tires. So no u don't NEED ahuge converter and 410's....but when I did get a 4400 converter and 373's it did come alive more.
Imo it is needed. I would hate to hve a car like an ms3 car sounds like thy runs 12s because of the converter and gears.
I would rather run a smaller cam and a 4000 with 373s and run 11s.
Originally Posted by 09camaro383
We were on the freeway and did 2 pulls from about 60!! come to Arizona and i will show you or betters said I will smoke you!!
If you were on motor it either wasn't a Z or the guy couldn't drive worth ****. you aren't smoking any Z with your lazy 450whp and stalled auto. That stalled auto isn't hanging from a 60 roll with a near 130 mph car.

let me check my schedule and see when I can make a 20 hour trip to race some fool on the net.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a big cam works best if matched with good heads,gears,stall.look at the big cam from EPS.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not trying to Steal the thread
But i just got some Trickflows 215 cnc
Which of the three cams above would make the best power?
plus what stall and gear combo should i go with!?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:20 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I've engine dyno tested all three camshafts next to each other. The MS4 would be my selection. It has far better p/v than he T-Rex & uses less duration to make the power.

On a side note with the TFS heads you wont be able to do much milling to get your compression where you need to be for max power unless you cut the pistons.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 10-28-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
I've engine dyno tested all three camshafts next to each other. The MS4 would be my selection. It has far better p/v than he T-Rex & uses less duration to make the power.

On a side note with the TFS heads you wont be able to do much milling to get your compression where you need to be for max power unless you cut the pistons.
what kind of compression would i be running jason?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Captain Double Post

I have the ms4 and love it,there all good cams,all make great power,ms4 pulls really hard,as I'm sure any of these cams listed,you shouldn't shoot for numbers though,yeah there nice but are pointless in a race,I have seen much smaller cam and head cars put out big numbers and run really well.its all what you want though man,I'm a big cam fan.I like shaking to death at stop lights lol,but to run a ms4/trex will really be in your tune,we are still working on mine,but if its a car your just gonna go play in every now and then go with whatever you want to. I don't know how much truth is behind the ms4 beeing easier on the valvetrain,there all really big cams and all will work the valvetrain way more,my car runs really good ,I love it,but there are a lot of people that couldn't stand it,also for these cams you will want much higher gears 4.10s or bigger,3.23 with a. Trex in a auto I see being a dog,but with 4.10s and a big stall and some juice it will for sure fly,well good luck with the build man,take care and God bless,

Quick Reply: Trex vs MS4 and 3