Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how long till it ruins ur rings

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Without beating on it, IMO, you'll be fine. The new injectors are about 28% bigger. Unless you were already running really rich and your LTFT's (fuel trims) were already deep in negatives, the computer can lean you out by about 25%. Just dont beat on it, since in power enrich mode, the computer wont take negative fuel trims into account, and youll continue to run rich.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by BaddBird
I can confirm this as being wrong.
thanks, out of curiousity how did you determine that the injector was still being activated by the PCM when you had a misfire?

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
x2, my car had random misfires from a tiny exhaust leak for about a year and it ran perfectly fine.
Misfire's from a tiny exhaust leak? I have been a tech for over 10 years, first time I heard that one. And you also said it had misfire's and ran perfectly fine... ?

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
Just put your stock injectors in and drive to your tuner. Bring the 36# with you and install when you get there. Easy. I don't understand people wanting to risk their motor over a 15 minute task.

The car pulls timing, it does not shut off injectors. Leaning out an already misfiring cylinder would probably be the worst thing you could do.
Turning off an injector does not cause a lean condition, it causes it to not burn at all since there is no fuel present to burn, therefore it cannot be rich nor lean. It prevents cylinder wash down and damage due to it in the event of ignition failure on that cylinder. Such as ring/cylinder wall damage, oil contamination, catalytic converter failure.

I wish I could recall the application in which the injector was disabled on a misfiring cylinder, for some reason I was thinking this was a technology integrated into the 4th gen F body. There are automakers that do it, but off the top of my head I cannot remember the make of the vehicle that I encountered it on.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote]
Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
thanks, out of curiousity how did you determine that the injector was still being activated by the PCM when you had a misfire?
Well have you never checked for noid on a dead cylinder while the vehicle was running? You will have injector pulse on the misfiring cylinder.

Misfire's from a tiny exhaust leak? I have been a tech for over 10 years, first time I heard that one. And you also said it had misfire's and ran perfectly fine... ?
An exhaust leak at the manifold or header can cause a misfire.

Turning off an injector does not cause a lean condition, it causes it to not burn at all since there is no fuel present to burn, therefore it cannot be rich nor lean.[/
quote]

Actualy when you have an injector down as soon as the 02 sees that bank is lean it will command fuel to the rest of the cylinders on that bank. Therefore it will be rich as hell.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actualy when you have an injector down as soon as the 02 sees that bank is lean it will command fuel to the rest of the cylinders on that bank. Therefore it will be rich as hell.
Ding ding ding.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=BaddBird;14052009]

Well have you never checked for noid on a dead cylinder while the vehicle was running? You will have injector pulse on the misfiring cylinder.

quote]

true story....
Old 10-28-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

[QUOTE=BaddBird;14052009]

quote]

Yes I have checked for "noid" on a misfiring cylinder, its one of the most basic steps to diagnosing a cyl misfire. Im not starting a pissing contest I was simply asking what your method of diag was, but you did give me the answer on how you confirmed that the injector was still being activated. I have also used many other methods to confirming injector activation and actual function, since noid will NOT tell you if the injector is actually delivering fuel on a misfiring cyl or any cyl for that matter.

I hope, but I don't think based on the responses though, that it's understood the message I was trying to deliver is there are systems that will shut down an injector when a cylinder misfires so it could steer someone wrong during diagnoses into thinking they have a driver malfunction in the computer or wiring issue when really the computer shut down the injector and the actual cause was an initial ignition malfunction.

The point that everyone missed is I posted that there is a management system on an OEM vehicle that unfortunately I cannot recall at the time that does actually shut down the injector on a misfiring cylinder, in that case you would not have a noid.

I have a very firm understanding of diagnosing drivability issues, Long and Short term fuel compensation etc.. so I understand what you are saying.

Also you quoted me for the exhaust leak comment, the point in that comment was the other poster said his car had a misfire and in the same sentence said the car ran perfectly fine, how does that work? He also said it was a tiny exhaust leak, I have worked on far more vehicles than I can count that a tiny exhaust leak had no affect what so ever on it misfiring, I know that exhaust leaks can cause issues, but a "tiny" exhaust leak is not going to cause a misfire.

Hope that clears up my points.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 10-28-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:15 PM
TECH Veteran

[QUOTE=bww3588;14052499]

true story....
I would be owned if I disagreed with any truth in the statements dipshit. Your reading comprehension is the only thing that got
Old 10-29-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Regular

If you are running extremely rich your computer will cut fuel and the engine will just hang, mine hung at 3000 rpm. I had codes for both banks rich after my engine swap, no damage.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:31 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Take it from me.......one of my brand new LSx 427ci engines was running rich. I drove it home from the shop that installed and tuned the engine.........then the next day my buddy came over to see it and go for a drive. He was in the back and I revved it and raw fuel shot out onto the ground about 6 feet out of each tail pipe. I drove it for 1 day, but it was about 50 miles worth.

Did a leakdown and all 8 cylinders were shot............engine had to come out and get honed and re-ringed.

Do not drive a new engine if its rich....period.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pooter, I don't know what you're smoking, but you are all over the place, chill out, I dont think you know what you're talking about.

And yes, an exhaust leak can cause an o2 sensor to read lean, causing misfires. It can still run perfectly fine but the computer will report misfires.

A lot of people with big cams have tons of misfires at idle. The cars still run just fine.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Can somebody explain why new engines/rings are more easily distroyed by cylinder washdown? After driving for an hour with a plug wire off my engine has showed no signs of trouble. I'm sure most of the fuel being injected was spit out the exhaust but I would imagine aleast a small amount had to pool on top of the piston/walls.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Take it from me.......one of my brand new LSx 427ci engines was running rich. I drove it home from the shop that installed and tuned the engine.........then the next day my buddy came over to see it and go for a drive. He was in the back and I revved it and raw fuel shot out onto the ground about 6 feet out of each tail pipe. I drove it for 1 day, but it was about 50 miles worth.

Did a leakdown and all 8 cylinders were shot............engine had to come out and get honed and re-ringed.

Do not drive a new engine if its rich....period.

With only 50 miles on the car, there no way your rings would have been properly seated. Id be surprised if any car would do very well on a leakdown test that soon. What did the rings look like when you had it re-ringed? If you really had washdown issues, the damage should have been apparent. Also, you probably would have needed a full bore, not just honing the cylinders. I would have gotten a second opinion. Sounds to me like a shop that just wanted the work.

Also, I should note that its very likely that what you saw shooting out of the tail pipes was condensed water vapor. Water vapor is the second greatest component in exhaust gas. Its second only to nitrogen, an inert gas that passes largely unchanged through the engine. Water vapor is an even greater component than CO2 in exhaust gas. And far greater than any of the other noxious chemicals like carbon monoxide or NOx. Certainly if its running rich it will smell like fuel. If it were really fuel in the exhaust, you would have had major backfire issues, especially with a cam with any considerable overlap. IMO, of course.

Last edited by GuitsBoy; 10-29-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
Pooter, I don't know what you're smoking, but you are all over the place, chill out, I dont think you know what you're talking about.

And yes, an exhaust leak can cause an o2 sensor to read lean, causing misfires. It can still run perfectly fine but the computer will report misfires.

A lot of people with big cams have tons of misfires at idle. The cars still run just fine.
Actually dude I really know a whole lot about these types of issues as I specialized in drivablility diagnostics for years. I know very well how a fuel system, misfire's etc are caused. Thing is everything I typed made perfect sense its just that most do not have a good enough understanding of how these systems work to follow what I am saying.

As far as exhausts leaks causing a lean condition, I am aware of that, but thats not what was said nor quoted. And a tiny exhaust leak by most people's definition would not cause a lean condition nor a misfire, maybe our definitions of "tiny" are different, a good sized to large leak could though, I agree. What I quoted was that you stated and still continue to say that the car misfired and ran perfectly fine, thats and oxymoron, it cannot run "perfectly fine" and "misfire" thats all I was getting at, and I'm smoking something??, and thats part of why I said I don't think anyone is actually following.

I wasn't smoking anything, but I was drinking plenty
Old 10-29-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mtuggle86
Can somebody explain why new engines/rings are more easily distroyed by cylinder washdown? After driving for an hour with a plug wire off my engine has showed no signs of trouble. I'm sure most of the fuel being injected was spit out the exhaust but I would imagine aleast a small amount had to pool on top of the piston/walls.
The new rings are a whole lot more sensitive to having a lack of oil on them and will fry in an instant, I am also surprised how long rings will take a beating after broken in and are exposed to the same conditions. Alot of it has to do with the new surfaces being somewhat rough and will build friction and heat very quickly, even properly lubricated, thats why heat cycling is recommended on a fresh motor. Once the rings and cylinders are worn in they do not build near as much friciton since the surfaces are worn together and smooth. You dont see this with say bearings and the crank because you start with two perfectly smooth surfaces that oil is injected between so the oil actually keeps them from ever touching, not so with rings, the oil can be washed off and rings and cylinders then go metal to metal and melt down.

The rings needing to be broken in and seated is why GuitsBoy said its not a good idea to do a leak down at 50 miles, they take a while to fully seat, and another little interesting fact, a cylinder with no oil on the rings or cylinder wall will not have compression, put a little oil in there and it will seal, oil actually fills the very tiny gap between the ring and cylinder wall. Once oil is on something it actually keeps things from contacting one another, the light film of oil seperates them.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't have a compression gauge should I spend the money to go get one and test the cylinder or would you guys not worry about it? Would and an hour with a dead plug normaly be enough to cause washdown and damage the rings/walls on a broken in engine? It seems to run fine its still very smooth and has good power but I worry that is I had lost some compression it wouldn't be enough to tell without a compression test.

Ps thanks for the help.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mtuggle86
I don't have a compression gauge should I spend the money to go get one and test the cylinder or would you guys not worry about it? Would and an hour with a dead plug normaly be enough to cause washdown and damage the rings/walls on a broken in engine? It seems to run fine its still very smooth and has good power but I worry that is I had lost some compression it wouldn't be enough to tell without a compression test.

Ps thanks for the help.
It is probably just fine, no way to know without checking, and even if it did cause a lack of compression you would have to rebuild/re-ring the engine to repair it, so if its running good and smooth I would not even worry one little bit. If it were my car and it ran good I would just keep on going. Its not going to hurt anything and it runs good so no worries.

And FYI, if it had damaged it enough to drop the compression a considerable amount it you would notice effects at idle first, if its really bad it will cause a constant misfire.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My car has a cam so I doubt id tell a difference/slight miss at idle. It deff doesn't have a misfire at all while driving. It sucks thinking I could be losing some power/performance from such a stupid thing. Id say its fine though I'm sure people have drove on engines with misfires before longer then an hour before without issues.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:58 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
With only 50 miles on the car, there no way your rings would have been properly seated. Id be surprised if any car would do very well on a leakdown test that soon. What did the rings look like when you had it re-ringed? If you really had washdown issues, the damage should have been apparent. Also, you probably would have needed a full bore, not just honing the cylinders. I would have gotten a second opinion. Sounds to me like a shop that just wanted the work.
Wrong. And maybe it was more than 50 miles, probably was. But not more than 100. Rings get seated in a matter of minutes on a dyno. Thats what every single factory engine gets from every single manufacturer and they're out the door. Break in takes a few miles or a quick dyno run.
If its RICH as hell, the break-in process cannot happen and you will be screwed in just a a matter of 50 miles, maybe less. Then they will NOT seat. Some people get lucky and can run heavy weight regular oil to get them to seat, that did not work for me.

And it was a Lingenfelter built engine, they never ran it because it was a short block crate engine. Go tell them they have no clue what they're talking about. They leakdown checked it when they got the engine back to their shop and called and said the rings did not seat and it will need a hone and new rings. They did it for free thank god...........so I don't think the Lingenfelter shop just wanted the extra work...lol

Also, I should note that its very likely that what you saw shooting out of the tail pipes was condensed water vapor.
It was pure wet gasoline man. Had about 20 people, plus a few builders look at it. It was gas..... The tuner said it can happen and Lingenfelter said it can happen. If its totally dumping fuel in, it will shoot out the pipes.
Water doesn't go through an exhaust and make it to the ground unless you have a blown head gasket.........the exhaust should be clean, clear and dry.
((of course in the morning the entire exhaust can be full of water from condensation overnight...which can cause a little squirt out the pipes onto the ground, but thats one spit and its over..))

I learned my lesson in getting a bullshit mail order tune.....especially where the complete jerkoff ******* tuner LOCKS the son-of-a-bitch because he thinks his tunes are something special........

Old 10-30-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes I have checked for "noid" on a misfiring cylinder, its one of the most basic steps to diagnosing a cyl misfire. Im not starting a pissing contest I was simply asking what your method of diag was, but you did give me the answer on how you confirmed that the injector was still being activated. I have also used many other methods to confirming injector activation and actual function, since noid will NOT tell you if the injector is actually delivering fuel on a misfiring cyl or any cyl for that matter.
Pissing match? You called me out on my post and I backed it up.Don't know how you got on the subject of how to diag a fuel delivery problem. WTF?

I hope, but I don't think based on the responses though, that it's understood the message I was trying to deliver is there are systems that will shut down an injector when a cylinder misfires so it could steer someone wrong during diagnoses into thinking they have a driver malfunction in the computer or wiring issue when really the computer shut down the injector and the actual cause was an initial ignition malfunction.

The point that everyone missed is I posted that there is a management system on an OEM vehicle that unfortunately I cannot recall at the time that does actually shut down the injector on a misfiring cylinder, in that case you would not have a noid.
I have been wrenching for 21yrs (Certified for 17yrs) I am factory trained in Gm,Ford,VW,Audi & Toyota to name a few and I have never ran across this kind of self preservation mode on any OE pcm. Keep in mind I am an independent shop so I don't see 09s and up on a daily basis yet. But I like to think I am pretty current.

I have a very firm understanding of diagnosing drivability issues, Long and Short term fuel compensation etc.. so I understand what you are saying.
Well some of your posts might suggest otherwise to someone that does this for a living.

Turning off an injector does not cause a lean condition, it causes it to not burn at all since there is no fuel present to burn, therefore it cannot be rich nor lean.
What the hell were you thinking??

Also you quoted me for the exhaust leak comment, the point in that comment was the other poster said his car had a misfire and in the same sentence said the car ran perfectly fine, how does that work? He also said it was a tiny exhaust leak, I have worked on far more vehicles than I can count that a tiny exhaust leak had no affect what so ever on it misfiring, I know that exhaust leaks can cause issues, but a "tiny" exhaust leak is not going to cause a misfire.

Hope that clears up my points
Well let me tell you something Super Tech. I have fixed vehicles with random misfires that were caused by small exhaust leaks that had no drive ability issues what so ever other than a Cel. Does a small exhaust leak always cause misfires? No. Can they? Yes. Surely with all of your automotive knowledge you understand that a perfect running engine can have misfires as long as the amount is under the predetermined threshold set in the pcm.

Last edited by BaddBird; 10-30-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

First you suck at quoting so let me try to fix this.

Second, getting defensive, being passive aggressive calling me "super tech" and saying you backed something up I called you out is getting rediculous. That wasn't a call out, it was a question... You guys are in here thinking I am giving you **** when I have asked questions.

Third, you and phenomic keep saying misfire and running "perfectly" fine in the same sentance, not possible, never will be, misfire cannot equal running perfectly fine... Is that really that hard to understand?

I would have never even touched on that subject and went into wording that far if you guys didn't turn it into something it wasn't, all this owned bullshit and being a dick in your responses was not necessary when I asked questions like "can anyone confirm" "what was your method of diag" then everyone jumps the gun and turns into ******** and smartasses. If you read my responses you will see I refrained from deragatory comments until that crap started.

I'll quote just a couple things that stand out, the other things like saying you are certified for XX time, and pretty current I am not going to argue, based on you're ending remark I think on that one we both agree we don't know everything, I agree you know what you are talking about but the wording in some of the responses are incorrect and that is what I have responded to for the most part. Not trying to come off like im a "super tech" or that im perfect, calm down guys.

Turning off an injector does not cause a lean condition, it causes it to not burn at all since there is no fuel present to burn, therefore it cannot be rich nor lean.
What the hell were you thinking??
So you are saying a cylinder that is burning no fuel what so ever will be burning lean? You cannot burn lean nor rich if there is no fuel present so please explain that to me....

Lean and rich are relative to A/F ratio, so if there is no F in the A/F ratio how can it be lean?

As for your last comment that you made about exhaust leaks, a small exhaust leak can only cause a lean condition that can cause a misfire, in pretty much all cases a small exhaust leak is small, therefore it will not affect the A/F ratio enough to be considerable or picked up by the PCM to where the mixture could not be compensated for and would lean out enough to misfire, but I have not worked on every car made, just a very large amount of them because I was in independent owned shops for all my career up until the last year, now I am at Lexus. So I have worked on most vehicles that have ever seen the road, and I have yet to have a small exhaust leak cause that, now a decent sized leak is different. But I am NOT saying it is not possible, I do not know everything and never will.

But at least I know a misfiring engine does not run perfect

Im done...

Quick Reply: how long till it ruins ur rings