since press fit wrist pins are 1 to 1.5 interference, you should take the
rockers in question to a local machine shop and have them honed like a pin
fit on a rod bushing or piston would be done...I know you shouldn't have to
do this however is sounds like a manufacturing issue and clearly Comp has
your coin so some phone tech could care less........Good luck man
Old 06-01-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm very curious to see what they say to you. I've got a brand new trunnion kit here, and a couple sets of stock rockers too...and I thoroughly intend to measure every rocker when the stock stuff comes out, and hone any if necessary before re-assembly with the comp hardware.

I like a stable valvetrain...a bump in the rocker motion doesn't sound so conducive to stability...or longevity.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
During the week I installed the Comp Cams trunion upgrade on my factory LQ9 rocker arms. What I found was that 9 of the rocker trunion installs were great. They were silky smooth and easy to rotate. However, the other 7 were varying degrees of stiff and catchy.

When the first unit came out stiff, I assumed that perhaps I did not get the bearing in straight or there may have been a burr in the bore that I did not detect. However, after taking great care and still getting several more poor results I realized there was something else causing the problem.

What I found was that there was a problem with the factory rocker bearing bore. I knew that it was either deformed or undersized. The reason this was not a problem with the factory trunion setup is because they have much more bearing clearances than the Comp Cams set up. So, this increase in crush on the bearing race is not an issue. But, because I do not have a dial bore gauge that small in diameter, I had not way to know which was the problem or to verify the measurements with enough accuracy.

While not exactly the ideal scenario without the proper dial bore gauge to measure the progress, I decided to lightly hone the rocker's bearing bores and try it again. After the first try, the bearing was much looser and smoother, but still not right. So, I honed a little more until the bearings were free and smooth.

Once I realized this was the solution, I honed the remaining 6 rockers. Now I have a full set of upgraded rockers with glass smooth bearings.

I do find it hard to believe that I am the only one to experience this problem. The engine that I removed the rockers from is a low mile engine in excellent condition. Are other people just running them not realizing they are supposed to be silky smooth and free? But, I have not found a single other post on the net of people complaining about this problem.

Anyhoo, I just wanted to share my experience in case any others run into this problem.
Was going to do this next week, what did you use to hone rockers?
Old 06-02-2011, 06:52 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
Speedtigger your car is a total cumshot and this prob needs to go away
right quick. If you know that 0.001 crush fit is right and I would bet it is
since press fit wrist pins are 1 to 1.5 interference, you should take the
rockers in question to a local machine shop and have them honed like a pin
fit on a rod bushing or piston would be done...I know you shouldn't have to
do this however is sounds like a manufacturing issue and clearly Comp has
your coin so some phone tech could care less........Good luck man
I have already talked to one of our local machinists about getting exactly that done. If I do decide to do that, I want to make sure that my measurements match the Comp Cams specs before I start modifying rocker arm bores to match a bearing that may be out of spec.

Because of the time it would take for me to drive 25 miles to this machine shop and the expense it would incur, I am considering just getting a set already done from Texas Speed or Harland Sharp.

Either way, I would really like to get to the bottom of this for 2 reasons. 1. I am curious as to why the results vary. 2. The knowledge will be a good contribution to the LS community.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Old School Heavy

I spoke to Scott at Comp Cams today. The reason they do not have engineering specs is because the rocker kits are outsourced. He did just get a shipment in today, so he measured them for me.

As you may recall from a previous post in this thread, mine measured:
trunions bearing surface diameter .6255"
bearning outer shells diameter .8145"

Scott measured a unit from the latest shipment and they measured:
trunions bearing surface diameter .623"
bearning outer shells diameter .813"

I was shocked. .0025" diameter difference is huge on a bearing of this diameter. As we discussed this further, Scott told me that he was using dial calipers. I told him I had no confidence in measuring clearances this small with dial calipers, but he said he did not have a micrometer available to him.

Scott also told me that it is not uncommon for them to hone the rocker housing when they are installing bearings if they get one that is not smooth. So, there is proof positive for all you guys who thought it was just you. It's not.

So, I will be boxing my trunion upgrade kit to send to Comp Cams for inspection and possible replacement.

I will keep you posted as we learn more.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Launching!

wow...this sucks. So this definitely isn't a do it yourself job to the "average" garage junkie. you really need to be able to measure these things accurately and be able to measure/hone the rocker arm accurately for this "upgrade" to even be sustainable. I don't really like the tech's care-free assessment of the issue either acting as if this was common knowledge. I may just sell my kit for $100 and cut my losses rather than spend more hoping it fits correctly.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:58 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by 98_TA_EMLC
wow...this sucks. So this definitely isn't a do it yourself job to the "average" garage junkie. you really need to be able to measure these things accurately and be able to measure/hone the rocker arm accurately for this "upgrade" to even be sustainable.
I haven't finished my assessment yet, but based on the responses to this thread, I would say some guys say they have no problems while others say they do. Some might say that the guys who have problems are doing something wrong. Some might say that the guys who had success got lucky or did not check the finished product very well.

At this point, I have come to the conclusion that there is insufficient bearing clearances on my upgraded rockers. Now, I just have to figure out why.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not the first time Comp has had this type of issue, between their self-destructing "R" lifters, the #918 beehive spring failures, and cam lobe hardening defects.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Old School Heavy

I sent the rocker kit to the attention of Scott at Comp Cams per his specification last week. The USPS tracking said that Comp Cams received the kit on Monday June 6th around lunch time. As of this morning, Thursday June the 9th, nobody called me back. So, I called and left a message for Scott on Thursday morning. By around 2 PM I still had not received a return phone call. So, I called again. I spoke with somebody named Eric. I told him the whole situation and let him know that I found their follow up and communication to be unsatisfactory. Eric said he would find the kit that I sent in and call me back. It never happened.

I guess my next step is to communicate with somebody at Comp Cams that I feel will care about customer service and follow up.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

I already sent Comp support an email requesting the specs.

What are you using for rockers now?
T&D shaft mounts.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Old School Heavy

I guess my next step is to communicate with somebody at Comp Cams that I feel will care about customer service and follow up.
I wrote a letter to the CEO of the company. Today, David, the head of customer service gave me a call. He apologized for the communication and follow up problems, researched the issue and offered a resolution. David was very impressive in his attention to detail.

David said that the bearings that I sent him measured to be out of round. He went on to say that he fears that the way they are currently shipping the product may be the culprit and he is looking at improved packaging options to eliminate that potential problem. He is sending me a new bearing kit packaged carefully and shipped assembled on the trunion to protect the bearing shells.

I look forward to trying these out. Hopefully everything will go smoothly. I will keep you all posted.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

this is a great write up and very informitive, thanks guys
Old 06-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

About time they did something for you. The new kit better be spot on hehe.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by butler
I went with the harland sharpe factory rocker trunion upgrade. Already assembled. A little expensive but they work very well.
Plus Harland Sharp finishes the rockers nice, they come with new rocker bolts and retaining washers. I will get back my upgrades next week.

Back in 2009, I did the Comp Cam Trunion upgrade for my 2000 Firebird , the upgrade worked great, it just takes a little patients.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Launching!

so by "out of round" do you mean they ended up more oval? that's easy enough to check but is that their only concern?
Old 06-15-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Does anyone out there reading this believe for a sec that packaging/shipping could in You're wildest dreams be the reason they are ending up out of round . That statement by the customer service rep at Comp is something a customer service rep from K-Mart would say about You're lawn furniture wheel being a little out of round ? No?
Old 06-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Interesting thread. The rocker upgrade kit does come in a standard box and the bearings are in a bag, they could definitely get banged around a bit in shipping. I'm glad Comp is working to make this right for the OP, but I'm curious...

I've done a few sets of these, and can't imagine you doing them on a vise. Vise jaws move uncontrollably left and right in relation to each other as you tighten them, even a very nice vise. This will lead to bearing misalignment. A press is a must in my opinion.

The other thing I noticed was that no one mentioned the taper ~ the 'letters'/writing needs to be facing out on the bearings for them to insert properly - this is mentioned explicitly in the instructions. I'm not assuming that's the problem for everyone, but certainly could be.

Like anyone who's ever worked at a machine shop, I cleaned my rockers after pressing out the old bearings and used my favorite motor oil as lube. Did not check for out-of-round on the rockers, bearings, or trunions, and 16/16 turned smoothly on each set that I've done here.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
Does anyone out there reading this believe for a sec that packaging/shipping could in You're wildest dreams be the reason they are ending up out of round . That statement by the customer service rep at Comp is something a customer service rep from K-Mart would say about You're lawn furniture wheel being a little out of round ? No?
I agree completely. If they are out of round its due to a severe lack of quality control during manufacturing.

I suppose all those FAST 90 TBs, and 918 springs were faulty due to damage during shipping also......LOL
Old 06-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Old School Heavy

I received the new trunion kit from Comp Cams. It measures exactly the same as the old kit, however, this kit came with two parallel ground, black washers for pressing the bearings in. The package on the washers carries the part number 500612550.

I have also ordered a brand new set of rocker to install this trunion kit into. I will keep you posted when they arrive and I begin the installation.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Got my kit from Summit last week and installed it yesterday, well, most of it. The kit was opened and was missing a bearing and 2 bolts. So far I've got 2 stiff/knotchy inlet rockers but the rest are smooth as silk. Wonderful....

Quick Reply: Comp Cams Trunion upgrade potential problem