Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the ls1 world

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are trying to run that fast, the first place i would spend the money is on a very strong tranny, and a rear end. That way your car will be able to take the abuse you throw at it. But a transmission and rear end is where i would spend the money.

Then i would spend the money on all boltons, Head and cam, suspension mods and some spray..
Old 12-15-2010, 07:12 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 5o2slow
Thank you DaveX. Your level of reading and comprehension is higher than the others that replied.
Well that advice was worth the tens of thousands of dollars I spent over the years and learned, you get that for free. So if you think that was unhelpful.

Troll.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
if you are trying to run that fast, the first place i would spend the money is on a very strong tranny, and a rear end. That way your car will be able to take the abuse you throw at it. But a transmission and rear end is where i would spend the money.

Then i would spend the money on all boltons, Head and cam, suspension mods and some spray..
ty TXZ28LS1. you get the point
Old 12-15-2010, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chaman
....so the $50,000 figure give is not that idiotic at all...
sure iit is. he said 50k not 5k. and if your counting on your fingers i suggest you get a calculator
Old 12-15-2010, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wilson34
They aren't saying it can't be done, they are more suggesting that your question was so broad. You basically sound like you are wanting someone to put together your complete build sheet.

Good topic to ask your builder because the question you posed to us could be answered with a million different combos.

You ask what others recommend, and some gave you their opinion...such as: research, $50,000 so don't go acting bitter when you get those responses to your question
no bitterness here bro; but dont try and belittle me. 50k is what you would dump into a prostock car
Old 12-15-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

sure iit is. he said 50k not 5k. and if your counting on your fingers i suggest you get a calculator
I suggest you get a clue. How many cars have you SERIOUSLY mod?

When all is said and done you may well have spend close to that if not even more. Prostock? LOL! You really have no clue... HP costs money dude.
Before pushing it further please SEARCH and save yourself further embarrasment.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Regular

Wow weve all told him to watch it so lets let it go. Ditto on the trans and rear+ converter. The 10 bolts seem to be hit or miss to how much hp they can take. I would take a chance on the diff. for now (knowing you will replace it eventually). I didnt realize as do most first time builders (for high horsepower) how much was involved, and needed to be modded to hit the level i was shooting for. H/C, intake headears, trans is a part of it. How about fuel pump,injectors,fuel lines, regulator,filter. Arp studs, maybe rods,forged pistons. If you want to build it to last your gonna need it. dosnt make sense to put all that money in and cheap out on the heart of the machine. This opens an all new level of parts and cost. Valve springs,lifters, pushrods, C rods. And we havent even touched suspension. Just letting you know my experience. I have around $12000 in my engine trans fuel system. Still need injectors,driveshafts ( AWD truck) fans, tuning. And I already had the turbo kit, and did no suspension mods, or diff.

Dont want to rain on your parade, but I would say it can be done for about 20K. However you can have a lot of fun doing it in stages. If your gonna do a trans like a 80e, throw a h/c, headers on have fun till you blow the trans then do the 80e.

I would help if you let us know what other builds you have done so we dont state the 101' where you may feel insulted. Good luck
Old 12-15-2010, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nodrok
Wow weve all told him to watch it so lets let it go. Ditto on the trans and rear+ converter. The 10 bolts seem to be hit or miss to how much hp they can take. I would take a chance on the diff. for now (knowing you will replace it eventually). I didnt realize as do most first time builders (for high horsepower) how much was involved, and needed to be modded to hit the level i was shooting for. H/C, intake headears, trans is a part of it. How about fuel pump,injectors,fuel lines, regulator,filter. Arp studs, maybe rods,forged pistons. If you want to build it to last your gonna need it. dosnt make sense to put all that money in and cheap out on the heart of the machine. This opens an all new level of parts and cost. Valve springs,lifters, pushrods, C rods. And we havent even touched suspension. Just letting you know my experience. I have around $12000 in my engine trans fuel system. Still need injectors,driveshafts ( AWD truck) fans, tuning. And I already had the turbo kit, and did no suspension mods, or diff.

Dont want to rain on your parade, but I would say it can be done for about 20K. However you can have a lot of fun doing it in stages. If your gonna do a trans like a 80e, throw a h/c, headers on have fun till you blow the trans then do the 80e.

I would help if you let us know what other builds you have done so we dont state the 101' where you may feel insulted. Good luck
ok what builds have i done lets see
85 vette 10:9s which i still own sitting in my garage in fl less than 8k in mods
86 GN full built motor and trans Rick Harper & Ivan tranny tech miami fl less than 10k running mid 10's until it was stolen with the trailer in fl.

didnt mean to insult anyone(my bad), but dont try to insult my knowledge saying it a 50k build because that person cant afford it

so as you can see i know cars, and i know how to work on them also

i guess you guys are all touchy because of the holidays season.
well i wish you guys a meery x-mas full of parts for your cars, and a faster new year

Old 12-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm not saying you need nearly $50,000 to get it done.

But you act like you've done this before because you somehow know how much it's going to cost but don't for some magical reason, know the parts needed.
I must be missing something
Old 12-15-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nodrok

I'm with you on that one.

Here's basic break down, for comparison's sake. This is for a road race "learning" build, not a dedicated drag car:
  • the car, rust free, bought off ebay barely running: $900
  • roll cage (bartered with uncle to do the cutting and welding): $0
  • WS6 parts car (10-bolt rear end & TH350 donor, "donated" after drive train swap): +$900 gain, after tax write off and engine sale)
  • 1973 TA parts car (c-clip eliminated 12-bolt/Strange axle donor): swapped computer work - $0
  • Global west springs and A-arms, frame ties, poly bushings: $1500
  • Wilwood front brakes: $700
  • aluminum front structure, 'glass hood: $600
  • 2500 mile LS1 long block: $800
  • head work: $1100
  • "high dollar" short block work (hone, rings, forged pistons, bearings, cam, gaskets, bolts): $2000
  • "cheap ***" short block work (rings and bearings for one piston, bolts,gaskets): $170
  • GMPP accessory drive system (sans AC compressor): $650
  • Holley EFI (from previous project): $1500
  • Edelbrock intake & controller (Ebay): $500
  • T56 Trans and supporting stuff (projected purchase): $3000
  • Long tube headers: $600
  • Paint (forecast): $1500
  • 245/50R16 Firehawk tires, and 16x8 GTA wheels: $800

so, it looks like around 13.2K if I decide to go cheap on the engine or 15.2K if I go "high-dollar." Cheap will get me 425 horse and zero options, power-adder wise. The other way gets me 450 to 500 horse, plus options for other toys.

If I sell the 10-bolt, I'd roll the money into the 12-bolt (ditch the spool and put in a new diff).

You can go at it in stages (I've taken 4 years to get to this point), or try to do it all in one lump, but it looks like you aren't going to get away cheap. There is much more than the engine to consider, and I suspect people will find holes to poke into the build I outlined above.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Ok but to answer your questions:

AES has great deals on 390ci shortblocks, either iron, lsx, or alum ls2 based.

Mast has a great selection of heads, I especially love their small bore stuff, but you can easily get by with a cheaper set of heads.

Now with the nitrous kit, you have a million options there and all the vendors are well respected on this board.

Like others said 4L60 probably won't last too many trips down the 1320, and the 10bolt will be screaming.

What do you plan on doing for tuning, are you experienced, any tuners in your area?

You need to address fueling such as a standalone system offered by vendors, or you could get it done with cheaper options
Old 12-15-2010, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chaman
I suggest you get a clue. How many cars have you SERIOUSLY mod?

When all is said and done you may well have spend close to that if not even more. Prostock? LOL! You really have no clue... HP costs money dude.
Before pushing it further please SEARCH and save yourself further embarrasment.
are you serious ? yes i've done modifications other than a bolt on hood and wheels
Old 12-15-2010, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

not because am the new guy am gonna let some of you guys walk all over me. give respect and recieve the same respect you give.

with that said my ls1tech brothers i drop this thred !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THINK IS TIME TO CALL TEXAS SPEED
Old 12-15-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

not because am the new guy am gonna let some of you guys walk all over me. give respect and recieve the same respect you give.

with that said my ls1tech brothers i drop this thred !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THINK IS TIME TO CALL TEXAS SPEED
Thank you DaveX. Your level of reading and comprehension is higher than the others that replied.
Before this comment, everyone was trying to help you out. Then YOU started with the insults. Might want to get your facts straight.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinR
Before this comment, everyone was trying to help you out. Then YOU started with the insults. Might want to get your facts straight.
Yup, sounds like our advice seeking friend needs to lay off the coffee.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

its not the coffee its the crack you and me smoke buddy
Old 12-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now your being abusive, do yourself a favor before you get a vacation form a Moderator.

Learn a little internet etiquette.

I am suprised no one posted this LINK:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...newbie-tech-4/ For NEWBIES!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...anna-fast.html SO YOU WANT TO GO FAST?!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/1785635-post5.html (I'll even copy/paste)

Tips on asking for information/advice

Garbage in = Garbage out

We are all here to help, but if you dont give us any info to go on what type of response are you looking for?

When asking for advice or looking for information be as specific as you can. Simply "whats the bests...", "i want 50 bazillion hp...", ect. isnt going to cut it.
Information we need to better serve you:

First and Foremost -

Whats the intended application: street/strip, daily driver, track only, ect. Be very realistic with yourself and realize everything has a trade off.
How much do you realistically have to spend: the old adage of "Speed cost money, how fast do you want to go?" rings true.
What, if any, emissions requirements you have: if we know your emissions concerns we can steer you in the right direction rather then giving you info on setups that have no chance of passing.
When asking for cam please give us what your looking for to the best ability: with the almost 100 cams available the more info we have the better we can recommend. Meaning if you dont want to spin your shortblock to increasingly high RPM's cams like the G5x3 and T-Rex arent the best recommendations. If we know that from the start we can eliminate those cams from the outset and offer advice on ones that better suit you.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Greetings from the islands. Am thinking about doing some mods to my 02 z28. it has 33k miles on it and it bone stock a4.
ultimate goal is to run low 10's or high 9's nitro assisted. i would like to do it 4stages.
what do you guys recommed ?
this is my original post. read it and understand it.
everything was cool and jolly until Head Hunter made the comment that 50k is need to make a car go low 10's high 9's
i said i was planing on doing it in 4 stages. Head Hunter was out of line to make a post like that. then all of rest started coming down on me. in part most of the replies where helpful in leading to the right direction, but comments like his are better not posted. that is what set me off.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Now your being abusive, do yourself a favor before you get a vacation form a Moderator.

Learn a little internet etiquette.

I am suprised no one posted this LINK:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...newbie-tech-4/ For NEWBIES!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...anna-fast.html SO YOU WANT TO GO FAST?!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/1785635-post5.html (I'll even copy/paste)

Tips on asking for information/advice

Garbage in = Garbage out

We are all here to help, but if you dont give us any info to go on what type of response are you looking for?

When asking for advice or looking for information be as specific as you can. Simply "whats the bests...", "i want 50 bazillion hp...", ect. isnt going to cut it.
Information we need to better serve you:

First and Foremost -

Whats the intended application: street/strip, daily driver, track only, ect. Be very realistic with yourself and realize everything has a trade off.
How much do you realistically have to spend: the old adage of "Speed cost money, how fast do you want to go?" rings true.
What, if any, emissions requirements you have: if we know your emissions concerns we can steer you in the right direction rather then giving you info on setups that have no chance of passing.
When asking for cam please give us what your looking for to the best ability: with the almost 100 cams available the more info we have the better we can recommend. Meaning if you dont want to spin your shortblock to increasingly high RPM's cams like the G5x3 and T-Rex arent the best recommendations. If we know that from the start we can eliminate those cams from the outset and offer advice on ones that better suit you.

thats sounds like a threat to me. is that how you muscle yourself around here. what am i supposed to bow down to you. dude get a life, threats should not be tolorated either.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

its not the coffee its the crack you and me smoke buddy

As I suspected...a tool.