Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam install advice for first timer

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you got some crazy gorilla sized forearms you might be able to break the bolt free.
I'd rather stick to the impact gun
Old 12-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Hi, use a three finger puller just reverse the fingers and use some washers and a cheater handle. You may want to invest in a cam install handle or make your own. Please lube cam graciously before install. Degree cam or make sure dots align to avoid issues with timing. Take your time and use proper caution
when working on your car. I use a park tool valve (spring compressor) but you may borrow one. If removing the heads. Purchase new bolts arp/etc
along with new gaskets. Use a staggered torque procedure increase # each time you go thru the sequence. Do not .......................overtighten..............
Or you will have major problems......another little trick: Use a wooden dowel if you leave the valve covers on......just rotate engine by the crank shaft and gently insert the 24 inch dowel into the holes located behind front cover
and gently push into place. This will hold the lifters in place. You can also buy this tool or option out with the dowels. Some people just rotate the engine and let them stay in place......... I don't chance it!.....do not forget oil pump upgrade....merry christmas
jim
Old 12-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Hi, use a three finger puller just reverse the fingers and use some washers and a cheater handle. You may want to invest in a cam install handle or make your own. Please lube cam graciously before install. Degree cam or make sure dots align to avoid issues with timing. Take your time and use proper caution
when working on your car. I use a park tool valve (spring compressor) but you may borrow one. If removing the heads. Purchase new bolts arp/etc
along with new gaskets. Use a staggered torque procedure increase # each time you go thru the sequence. Do not .......................overtighten..............
Or you will have major problems......another little trick: Use a wooden dowel if you leave the valve covers on......just rotate engine by the crank shaft and gently insert the 24 inch dowel into the holes located behind front cover
and gently push into place. This will hold the lifters in place. You can also buy this tool or option out with the dowels. Some people just rotate the engine and let them stay in place......... I don't chance it!.....do not forget oil pump upgrade... PLEASE USE NEW TIMING CHAIN SET............merry christmas
jim

Last edited by jim ravencraft; 12-15-2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: ADD
Old 12-15-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Best advice yet: Take your time
Old 12-15-2010, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Jim for the advice. I dont have any air tools so i will have to give it a shot with my gorilla forearms lol. I called a local shop just to see how much it would be to install it for me and just for labor I got quoted between 800 and 900 bucks. Too much to spend when I could take my time doing it on my own and still debating on the oil pump and chain.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kb274868123
Thanks for the help. The zip tie is a good idea. Were you able to reach the back cylinders with the zip tie and turn the crank or did you use another set of hands?
I managed to get in at all cylinders, but before i did my cam swap i had my hvac out... which let me tell you makes that number 8 a breeze

Alright it should be alright then. I am auto. Is there any way around droping the starter and putting a screw driver in there?
You will be able to get a screw driver in there or you could use a flywheel/ flexplate locking tool
Old 12-16-2010, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Alright I will try the screw driver method and am not quite sure what I am going to be working with because I have never taken the starter off this car. Is there a screw hold in the bellhousing that i can run it through like in picture 1 or just jam it like picture 2 & 3. I know these are not pictures for our cars but I am just using them for reference.
Attached Thumbnails Cam install advice for first timer-01.jpg   Cam install advice for first timer-2.jpg   Cam install advice for first timer-3.jpg  
Old 12-16-2010, 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

Alright I will try the screw driver method and am not quite sure what I am going to be working with because I have never taken the starter off this car. Is there a screw hold in the bellhousing that i can run it through like in picture 1 or just jam it like picture 2 & 3. I know these are not pictures for our cars but I am just using them for reference.
It's kinda hit and miss. It helps to have one person hold the screw driver steady while another puts tension on it. Better have a GOOD screw driver. I broke 2 doing mine.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1998Z28LOADED
It's kinda hit and miss. It helps to have one person hold the screw driver steady while another puts tension on it. Better have a GOOD screw driver. I broke 2 doing mine.
Very true. I'm kind of lucky. My motor was on a stand. I simply put a grade 8 bolt in one of the holes on the flywheel and broke the balancer bolt free. You dont need gorilla sized forearms but it will very likely take everything you have to break it free. I tried heating the bolt, took out my impact gun and in the end my 4' cheater pipe on the end of my breaker bar busted it free.

You will definitaly need someone holding the flywheel with a screwdriver if you go that route.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ebk06
Very true. I'm kind of lucky. My motor was on a stand. I simply put a grade 8 bolt in one of the holes on the flywheel and broke the balancer bolt free. You dont need gorilla sized forearms but it will very likely take everything you have to break it free. I tried heating the bolt, took out my impact gun and in the end my 4' cheater pipe on the end of my breaker bar busted it free.

You will definitaly need someone holding the flywheel with a screwdriver if you go that route.
I'm a big dude and it took a 5' cheater pipe and all I had to break it loose.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya, I have a really good impact gun, but it wouldn't budge the bolt. I also had to use a long pipe to break it free. After it pops you can turn it out with your fingers.

I forget what your mileage is, so I'm not sure if you need an oil pump, but definitely put in an LS2 chain while your in there.