Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the ultimate heads/cam package?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the ultimate heads/cam package?

Im looking into doing heads and cam on my car, but I want to do this once and not change my mind later on down the road. I dont plan on touch the bottom end of the car, but if I ever did, it would be way way down the road. Im looking for a set up that would be killer naturally aspirated, but also would be awesome on the gas. As of right now, the car does not have nitrous, but it could be a possibility down the road. Heads and cam are what Im focused on right now. I know theres several companies out there to go along with the several different types of heads. I want a package thats going to put down some mean numbers and dominate at the track. With this heads/cam package, I know that Im going to have to upgrade my valvetrain. Will that include lifters and rocker arms? If so, then pushrods, valvesprings, retainers, lifters, and rockers will all have to be replaced, correct? I will also need a new set of head gaskets. I also want this package to sound mean. What do you guys recommend? Please specify cam specs, type of heads, stage of heads, and company to get it from. Thanks a bunch!
Old 02-06-2004, 05:30 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well list the rest of your mods first since a big h/c will do no good on a stock setup. you'll need your intake and exhuast setup complete and LT's prefered.

as far as what package, im really liking the new TEA/FMS combos. the LG and cartek packages are also putting down great numbers. it all depends on how much you want to spend and how fast you want to go. when you get heads they'll come complete so all you'd need are pushrods. you can use the stock lifters and rockers.

what i suggest you do is take the time out and do the research. your gonna get a thousand different answers on which h/c package to get but ultimately whatever you choose your going to have to spend the money on and live with it. research and get the knowledge so you can make your own informed decision. check out the new dyno forum for a variety of setups and what they put down.

Last edited by jrp; 02-06-2004 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with jrp. For any of us to give you our oponion we will need your other mods. Need to know what you plan on doing with the car. Race only? How many miles you will be driving if it is a daily driver. Also need to know if it is a M6 or A4.
Your going to get a ton of different answers, and probally every answer will be correct in their own way. What is your budget as well?
I will agree with the companies that jrp listed and will add absolute speed to that list.
I have seen some great numbers from his head/cam combo's as well.
I know you if you are a budget then absolute or patroit performance would be a good choice.
Do the research for sure.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Fast Toys ram air kit
K&N
Texas Speed & Performance lid
SLP high flow bellow
Granatelli mass air flow
ported and polished throttle body w/all the mods
LS6 intake
NGK TR-55 plugs
9mm wires
FLP longtube headers
off-road pipes
plan on doing true duals with x-pipe
ASP underdrive crank pulley
plan to do a Meziere electric water pump
Spohn chromoly trailing arms-poly/rod ends
Spohn chromoly panhard bar-poly/rod ends
Spohn chromoly adjustable torque arm
Spohn chromoly sub-frame connectors
custom tuning
ET Streets
a few weight reductions
built A4
4000 stall
TCI flexplate
B&M cooler

I drive the car on the weekends, depending on the weather, and its at the track a few times out of the month. I dont plan on making it a race car, but I want it to dominate on the dyno and at the strip. I dont want to go cheap on this package, but I also dont want to go with the most expensive either. What do heads/cam packages come with? Are you sure that I would be ok with stock rocker arms and lifters? Let me know if you need more info, thanks.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:21 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

damn, thats a nice mod list . put it in your sig so you dont have to keep typing it

for all but the most hardcore h/c you an use the stock lifters, guys are running the x2 on them along with the stock rockers as well. if you want you can pick up some comp r lifters and some YT rockers.

again, there are several great h/c packages out there. what do you want to run and how much do you want to put down? go stage 2/2.5 ls6 heads and get a custom cam.

and im sure you know a good tune is a given.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i say talk to dave at cartek...their cars put up the #'s on the dyno and at the track just ask bpz28 youve already got almost everything you need to be deep into the 10's hehe
Old 02-06-2004, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ThaBeaSSt
Fast Toys ram air kit
K&N
Texas Speed & Performance lid
SLP high flow bellow
Granatelli mass air flow
ported and polished throttle body w/all the mods
LS6 intake
NGK TR-55 plugs
9mm wires
FLP longtube headers
off-road pipes
plan on doing true duals with x-pipe
ASP underdrive crank pulley
plan to do a Meziere electric water pump
Spohn chromoly trailing arms-poly/rod ends
Spohn chromoly panhard bar-poly/rod ends
Spohn chromoly adjustable torque arm
Spohn chromoly sub-frame connectors
custom tuning
ET Streets
a few weight reductions
built A4
4000 stall
TCI flexplate
B&M cooler

I drive the car on the weekends, depending on the weather, and its at the track a few times out of the month. I dont plan on making it a race car, but I want it to dominate on the dyno and at the strip. I dont want to go cheap on this package, but I also dont want to go with the most expensive either. What do heads/cam packages come with? Are you sure that I would be ok with stock rocker arms and lifters? Let me know if you need more info, thanks.
I saw that you're in Texas. If it were me, I'd do someone local... so they could support me with any tuning.. etc. I have a TSP head and cam package and it is working VERY well on my car. You might want to give Jason or Trevor at Texas Speed a call... they have some great deals on H/C packages, along with tuning.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Ok...lets talk hypothetically...what could I do with $2000? With that amount in hand, what kind of set up could I run? Would you consider average, mild, or pretty hot? I want it to be a killer setup, one that will hopefully get me in the 10s naturally aspirated. I dont know whats the limit, but what are my ranges? Bottom dollar, in the middle, or all out best package. Again, I want it to be a killer naturally aspirated setup but will be awesome as well with gas. I dont know whats out there, so I dont know what price ranges there are. I guess just recommend me a set up that you cant beat for the money and then give me a set up that is top notch. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:34 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

with 2k i'd get the AS h/c deal.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....07&postcount=5

and forget any decent gas mileage with what your wanting; you cant have your cake and eat it too.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ok...lets talk hypothetically...what could I do with $2000? With that amount in hand, what kind of set up could I run? Would you consider average, mild, or pretty hot? I want it to be a killer setup, one that will hopefully get me in the 10s naturally aspirated. I dont know whats the limit, but what are my ranges? Bottom dollar, in the middle, or all out best package. Again, I want it to be a killer naturally aspirated setup but will be awesome as well with gas. I dont know whats out there, so I dont know what price ranges there are. I guess just recommend me a set up that you cant beat for the money and then give me a set up that is top notch. Thanks.
either the AS or tsp ls6 pkg they are priced just about the same right now.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:56 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

$2K and the package you want don't match. Call PP and get a set of stage twos. Can't beat the price and they are putting some good numbers.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The link jpr refered to is one of my own, and I refuse to change my mind.
I dont see a better deal anywhere for under 2 G's.
Take in effect that you will need $$$ for the install unless you can so it yourself.
And there is no great H/C package without a great tune to follow it up.
The tune will make you or break you.
I could see a 100 shot being okay with this setup, and go with the 114 because you have a A4. Do I see 10's in your future with this setup. Very possible. You are already on the right track. A low 11 should be no prob.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

try this,FMS cam F-11 on a 114,team this cam to a set of stg. 2 TEA 5.3's and tune.then you need to hook-it and hang the f... on . have fun!!! add a 100 shot later if you still need more,this would kick *** all over. [ p.s. you must save up for that 12 bolt]
Old 02-06-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Texas Speed, Absolute and TEA all seem to have nice packages in that price range. You cant go wrong with any of them.

Not to be a stinker, but why do we still call patriots lq9 castings LS6's. Great guys with great service , good prices and a good product...but not LS6's...molded to be LS6's perhaps...But lets keep terms correct. Maybe I'm being too analytical.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

The $2k I just threw out there, I would be willing to spend more if it was going to be worth it. Tell ya what, how much am I looking at if I wanted to go absolutely all out and buy the very best package. Now, Im not talking about most expensive, Im talking most on the dyno, most on the track. If that package is the very most expensive, then so be it. I just threw that in there because not everything that is the most expensive is the best. As I stated before, I wanted to do this one time and one time only, so I want to get it right the first time. I dont want to upgrade later and settle for now if you know what I mean. I guess I should of stated all of this in the beginning, I apologize. I was practically looking for 2 options, 1. a package you just cant beat for the price and 2. the very best package out there. I just think that now Ive got everyone thinking that I want to go cheap because of the number I threw out there. This is about as much as I know, theres obviously stage 1, 2, and 3 if not more. Theres also LS1, LS6, 5.3, and LQ9 heads out there. I could be wrong, but thats as much as I know thats out there. Basically I want the ultimate heads/cam package without having to go into the bottom end of the motor. I want it to do awesome naturally aspriated with just heads and cam. Hopefully that gives everyone a clearer picture. Thank you so much everyone for the replies so far, what do you think now?
Old 02-06-2004, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm shopping around for a new heads cam package for my new motor. It'll pretty much be race only. I'm looking @ Cartek, LG w/ Absolute Heads, GTP and MTI for my Heads and cam package. I'll be waiting till later this year once the AFR's are out to decide though.

Can't go wrong w/ any of the proven heads out there though
Old 02-06-2004, 11:35 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

CARTEK www.cartek.net
Old 02-06-2004, 11:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Ultimate H & C Package?

Do a lot of research, then do some more. Use the search feature. Talk to lot's on sponsors. Ideally, talk to all of them. Talk to your friends that have heads and cam packages.

Really need to know more about your goals with the car. How often do you want to change out valve springs? How important is daily driving? How many miles a year? Are you willing to give up stock realiability? Is the car A4 or M6?

Since your in the Houston area you have a lot of shops to select from. I'd call up SAM ie School of Automotive Machinist and start asking if Judson or one of the other instructors would be willing to do a custom package for you tailored to your exact desires. MTI also would be at the top of the list as they are in your area.

TEA 2.5 LS6 heads w/hand touch ups with a FMS cam - details will vary depending on your application. Suggest long tube headsers, LS6/LSX intake with either 78mm or 90mm TB. Might also conside a solid roller cam. Call up Brian at TEA to discuss details and Allan Futral esp on cam selection.

TEA 1.5 5.3 heads w/hand touch ups with a FMS cam see above.

Absolute LS6 heads ideally or 5.3's with cam Jay suggests. Let Jay port the LS6 intake and use 80mm TB or use LSX w/big TB

Cartek & LGM have excellent packages. Tend to be expensive.

For any sort of Ultimate H & C package, skip the stuff that's proven inconsistant. Look at the quality of work or lack of it on all the products a vendor sales. If they cut corners and don't clean up the chambers on their current stuff etc look else where. Skip the stuff that's based on style & not substance unless you just want to throw on a bottom of the barrel package so you can say, "Hey I have heads & cam"
Old 02-06-2004, 11:45 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

The $2k I just threw out there, I would be willing to spend more if it was going to be worth it. Tell ya what, how much am I looking at if I wanted to go absolutely all out and buy the very best package. Now, Im not talking about most expensive, Im talking most on the dyno, most on the track. If that package is the very most expensive, then so be it. I just threw that in there because not everything that is the most expensive is the best. As I stated before, I wanted to do this one time and one time only, so I want to get it right the first time. I dont want to upgrade later and settle for now if you know what I mean. I guess I should of stated all of this in the beginning, I apologize. I was practically looking for 2 options, 1. a package you just cant beat for the price and 2. the very best package out there. I just think that now Ive got everyone thinking that I want to go cheap because of the number I threw out there. This is about as much as I know, theres obviously stage 1, 2, and 3 if not more. Theres also LS1, LS6, 5.3, and LQ9 heads out there. I could be wrong, but thats as much as I know thats out there. Basically I want the ultimate heads/cam package without having to go into the bottom end of the motor. I want it to do awesome naturally aspriated with just heads and cam. Hopefully that gives everyone a clearer picture. Thank you so much everyone for the replies so far, what do you think now?
LG or carteks 500rwhp package. do a search and you'll find plenty of threads on them and the setups. those are the top dogs for now, keep in mind the aftermarket is ever growing and changing so the buy it once and forget it adage doesnt go far . case in point the new 440rwhp cam only setup from TR , throw some heads, lsx intake, ect on there and who knows.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i think carteks pkg would run around $3500 just for heads and cam but theyve got more than one car making over 470 to the wheels with this pkg...through an auto your gonna not quite make the hp but still run the #.