Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bore it or stroke it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bore it or stroke it?

What are the differences in the performance aspect of doing an all bore or stroker kit? like the advantages and disadvantages of each if any.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:01 PM
TECH Junkie

basically with an all bore your peak power will be higher than and equivalent stroker but the stroker will have higher torque. The all bore will also be able to rev higher.

Advantages all bore.
higher reving
more hp

Disadvantages
possibility of a dropped sleeve on a aluminum block
if you get an iron block the cost of the iron block
Need to have heads re-worked to work with bigger bore size

Stroker

Advantages
More tq than an all bore of equivalent size.
strength of forged crank
can use current ported heads if you already have them.

Disadvantages
cost of crank
lower reving
lower hp than equivalent bore.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:33 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

All bore = more for drag racing due to what Mike K was saying with the hp peak being a little higher than the stroker. EX: 490hp 440tq

Stroker = higher overall torque at a lower rpm range. This is ideal if you like to shift on the street lower in the rpm range or if its not going to see much track time. EX: 480hp 460tq.

So it comes down to what your desire for more power is: is it for the quickest ET's possible, or is it for more low end grunt on the street.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
All bore = more for drag racing due to what Mike K was saying with the hp peak being a little higher than the stroker. EX: 490hp 440tq

Stroker = higher overall torque at a lower rpm range. This is ideal if you like to shift on the street lower in the rpm range or if its not going to see much track time. EX: 480hp 460tq.

So it comes down to what your desire for more power is: is it for the quickest ET's possible, or is it for more low end grunt on the street.
So at what RPM would peak HP on a 408 stroker be. What would be a estimated shifting RPM, I wanted to wind it up to about 6700 is that to high for this set up. With the 4.10 gears I will have to to get through the traps in 4th gear
Old 02-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 408ci can rev just like the all bore with the right cam. Your bore is still more than your stroke so you will do fine.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VINCE
The 408ci can rev just like the all bore with the right cam. Your bore is still more than your stroke so you will do fine.
Thanx
Old 02-07-2004, 09:14 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by ITSovr4U
Thanx

No Problem. Mine should spin to 7000rpm when its done.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

No Problem. Mine should spin to 7000rpm when its done.
APE is putting mine together right now. And absolute is doing the stage 3 6.0 heads for me. Hope to have it all at my door step in th next3-4 weeks. I will post #'s when it is done. I will be spraying also. Have hopes of getting into the 9's.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Shorty Director

APE is putting mine together right now. And absolute is doing the stage 3 6.0 heads for me. Hope to have it all at my door step in th next3-4 weeks. I will post #'s when it is done. I will be spraying also. Have hopes of getting into the 9's.
Sounds like you will be up and running b4 me. Keep us posted.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Launching!

If ringlands need to be dropped, negative effective dome volumes are desired or longer rods to play with rod ratios are required the shorter stroke and bigger bore will make things easier.

I know there is a disadvantage to spending more money to prep a "big" valve set of heads but this is really the big advantage of the larger bore. You now have the abillity to utilize more airflow in the cylinderhead like maybe the big valve AFR's or even a set of heads that will only fit on a big bore like the C5R's

The one disadvantage of a dropped sleeve can be removed as a disadvantage if you purchase a block that doesn't drop sleeves

I think the only sub 400ci NA engine in the 9's is George Coffe's all bore 382, correct me if I am wrong?

They are both great engines
Old 02-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Shorty Director

Joe Overton is running 9's NA. 388CI LT1.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:23 AM
Launching!

Joe Overton is running 9's NA. 388CI LT1.
Sorry, I meant an all bore LS1 compared to a stroked stock bore LS1 running in the 9's

Maybe someone should try a 3.875 stroke with a 4.060 bore, there are a few LT1's running strong with this combo.

On another note look at 500 inch pro stock engines, BIG bore/ short stroke and always complaining they can't get enough cylinderhead!! have you guys seen a 600+ cfm pro stock head
Old 02-08-2004, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nick Agostino
Sorry, I meant an all bore LS1 compared to a stroked stock bore LS1 running in the 9's

Maybe someone should try a 3.875 stroke with a 4.060 bore, there are a few LT1's running strong with this combo.

On another note look at 500 inch pro stock engines, BIG bore/ short stroke and always complaining they can't get enough cylinderhead!! have you guys seen a 600+ cfm pro stock head
If we got on the topic of 9's because of me, Nick you need to read what I wrote a little closer. I said I will be spraying also, I never said 9's N/A.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:41 AM
Staging Lane

I think i like the idea of giving up a few more HP and get back more torque that comes in at a lower rpm. It's torque that burns down the 1/4 mile not HP. Unless it's a light car, which ours aren't. I'll take the extra 20 ft/lbs over the 15 to 17 HP for the street or the strip anyday. I might go thru the traps 1 mph slower but my ET will be lower. Jump over to MTI's site, they show you a dyno sheet of both motors. They are very close in power, but the stroker makes its power 400 rpm sooner and only gives up about 17rwhp over the Big Bore. And the Bore motor has a little more cubes too. But i do wish someone would make something like a 3.75" crank to drop into a All Bore motor with a 4.125" bore. Now we would be getting the best of both worlds This way it's Bored & Stroked. Or maybe a 3.622" crank could be cut down to make something in the 3.75" to 3.8" crank.....hmmmm.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:35 AM
Launching!

If we got on the topic of 9's because of me, Nick you need to read what I wrote a little closer. I said I will be spraying also, I never said 9's N/A.
Your right I need to read a little closer to every post as I didn't catch that

I actually wasn't referring to you running the 9's at all, just stating a fact that an all bore NA LS1 ran in the 9's and a stroke stock bore NA LS1 has not (as far as I Know). I was just trying to give a comparison from a big bore to stroke engine in drag perfofmance and ment nothing else by it

Those guys do great work and I know your combo will run in the 9's
Old 02-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Shorty Director

I think Nick is right. Back when George C. ran his 9 sec pass many were still playing with the 346ci or the major tuners were playing with a streetable 400ci plus motor. I live in Florida so I have seen George C.'s car ride out many times.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jack, you will hit 9's w/ spray, I'm pretty sure of that....your carrier may take 10 or 11 seconds as it tumbles down the track behind you though

I say this as I sit with stock 10 bolt still resting comfortably in my tank.
It should be 2-3 weeks, not 3-4.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:00 AM
LS6
TECH Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Mike K.
basically with an all bore your peak power will be higher than and equivalent stroker but the stroker will have higher torque. The all bore will also be able to rev higher.

Advantages all bore.
higher reving
more hp

Disadvantages
possibility of a dropped sleeve on a aluminum block
if you get an iron block the cost of the iron block
Need to have heads re-worked to work with bigger bore size

Stroker

Advantages
More tq than an all bore of equivalent size.
strength of forged crank
can use current ported heads if you already have them.

Disadvantages
cost of crank
lower reving
lower hp than equivalent bore.

I have a small question, I know it is weard, but I'm new here, and to seek knowlage...

What does it mean by all bore, does it mean the size of the bore is > the stoke, or does it mean the Bore size is < Stroke...

Thanks...
Old 02-16-2004, 06:39 AM
TECH Junkie

bore is when a cylinder is honed out or opened up to increase the cubic inches. Usually when somebody says all bore that means that they are using a stock stroke crankshaft and that they have honed out or bored the cylinder walls to acheive a greater displacement.

stroke is the opposite. A stroker is when somebody uses a crankshaft that moves the rod and piston further so that you get more cubic inches. When somebody does this you basically keep the stock bore and only change the crankshaft.

Then there is a superstroker that is when you combine both bore and stroke and you start getting some of the really large cubic inch vehicles.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:57 PM
LS6
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mike K.
bore is when a cylinder is honed out or opened up to increase the cubic inches. Usually when somebody says all bore that means that they are using a stock stroke crankshaft and that they have honed out or bored the cylinder walls to acheive a greater displacement.

stroke is the opposite. A stroker is when somebody uses a crankshaft that moves the rod and piston further so that you get more cubic inches. When somebody does this you basically keep the stock bore and only change the crankshaft.

Then there is a superstroker that is when you combine both bore and stroke and you start getting some of the really large cubic inch vehicles.
Thanks a lot for the info Mike...