Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

383 Is it worth doing

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

going to freshen it back up and use stock stuff. Got another crank rod and piston. New bearings, rings, new cam bearings, arp rod bolts. Going to put a little money toward a nice heads and cam and hope it lives.

Going to wait until i find an ls2 block before i do anything like that.

figured that i shouldnt waste my time with this 98 block, would hate to ruin a good crank and rods due to the crappy oiling.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
What does it run?

I wanted a 10's all motor setup. Don't think this 346 will swing it so down the road I know I will do a bigger cube setup. Say I could get it done with a 383. Would one of the 6.0's or bigger/different blocks be stronger?
Finally got the gold digger done, Have not ran it yet, still need that 500$ dyno tune before I flog it hard, I can tell you it is a beast, Noticably more Power, I dynoed on TSPs dyno last year at 463/428 on the stock shortblock and my heads intake, I have stroked it now and added a bigger cam So we will see very soon....
Old 01-18-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oneoverwrx
going to freshen it back up and use stock stuff. Got another crank rod and piston. New bearings, rings, new cam bearings, arp rod bolts. Going to put a little money toward a nice heads and cam and hope it lives.

Going to wait until i find an ls2 block before i do anything like that.

figured that i shouldnt waste my time with this 98 block, would hate to ruin a good crank and rods due to the crappy oiling.
Considering you already have the engine disassembled,have the cylinders honed and use forged rods and pistons (3.905) when reassembling. The cost of forged rods and pistons isn't all that crazy and the OEM crank is good to approximately 1000 hp. The 98 blocks oiling system really isn't that poor and unless you plan on doing a lot of road racing that could possibly push the envelope,other than that the engine should perform well if assembled properly. A forged 347 will give you a lot of peace of mind (reliability) and then add a little nitrous for that winning power.