Sponsored by:

How much did you spend to Cam your LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soundengineer
Holy F___ing "Project Cheapskate"..LOL
I was a broke college student!!..lol..cam sat in my back seat for like 4months before i got everything else together...drove home on a friday tore down the car and installed the cam on saturday then drove back to school on sunday..lol
Old 01-24-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slow_Esuvee
My ticking lifter ended up being a head/cam/intake upgrade

Yup thats where I'm at this moment.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you will get similar results with a set of cheap patriots as you will with doing porting on ls6 heads....and you wouldnt have to do the work twice..

depending on the size/duration/ramp rates of the cam those springs were used on previously, and if the owner warmed up the valvetrain before beating on it, you could be well past half the valvespring life.

I've had springs last 7k miles, and I've had them last 25k+ miles....
there is no telling when one will give out based on a guess from the previous owner
I would highly suggest you test them when you have your heads off to have the CNC work done to them, and make sure the springs are still within good specs...
and then test them every 5k miles
I was there for the installation of the springs and the break in procedure. This guy lives 5 minutes down the road lol. Plus, even if their life is cut in half, I paid 1/3 the price so either way I came out on top. Also, money is the issue, not work. Do work to save money. If I have to take the heads off twice to save X amount of $ then that's what I'll do lol.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OP I'm just trying to elaborate on your question. So heres another question into the mix.

For all the guys that did the swaps at home ...did you have to go back and fix and button up few issues before you had the car running (as it should) prior to tune?
Old 01-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Launching!

Either way,

It's too damn much money by the time you add a dyno tune in there,

I may do an all aluminum motor/ Carb, set up in the future

just so I can have fun and not break the bank
Old 01-24-2011, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
OP I'm just trying to elaborate on your question. So heres another question into the mix.

For all the guys that did the swaps at home ...did you have to go back and fix and button up few issues before you had the car running (as it should) prior to tune?
of course that goes with any major mod. for me it was pushrod length i tried different ones until i got the valvetrain quiet with minimal preload.

Originally Posted by vette0009
Either way,

It's too damn much money by the time you add a dyno tune in there,

I may do an all aluminum motor/ Carb, set up in the future

just so I can have fun and not break the bank
dude if you do any amount of shopping you should be able to do a complete quality cam swap minus tuning for 700-800 MAX

if you can find used cam and pushrods, which you can easily be run used after inspection, cut that cost in half.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Restricted User

you will get similar results with a set of cheap patriots as you will with doing porting on ls6 heads....and you wouldnt have to do the work twice..

depending on the size/duration/ramp rates of the cam those springs were used on previously, and if the owner warmed up the valvetrain before beating on it, you could be well past half the valvespring life.

I've had springs last 7k miles, and I've had them last 25k+ miles....
there is no telling when one will give out based on a guess from the previous owner
I would highly suggest you test them when you have your heads off to have the CNC work done to them, and make sure the springs are still within good specs...
and then test them every 5k miles
Reallly? If your only getting that much out of ur springs there is something seriously wrong with your car lol. I have never had springs last under 50,000 miles. Stock springs suck and they go for 200k miles...
Old 01-24-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, cam only, do you need a fuel pump? Stock injectors will be fine? I have a 2000 WS6, should i buy a better oil pump or just port my stock one?

thx
Old 01-24-2011, 09:31 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

on cam only you wont need a pump upgrade
and you *should* be fine on the stock injectors.. I cant remember which years had the lower injectors, but you need the Bigger LS1 injectors for sure to play it safe, and its never a bad idea to upgrade the injectors anyways
99% of NA 346 can use the FAST 36.6 Lb injectors and still have plenty of headroom
Old 01-24-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm parts collecting for mine now, going to be srsly expensive with the headwork and maintenance I'd like to do.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

and you *should* be fine on the stock injectors.. I cant remember which years had the lower injectors, but you need the Bigger LS1 injectors for sure to play it safe, and its never a bad idea to upgrade the injectors anyways
99% of NA 346 can use the FAST 36.6 Lb injectors and still have plenty of headroom
On a car that has 92k miles, would you still change out the oil pump??? I have an 02' m6 LS1 if that helps.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jthunderz28
On a car that has 92k miles, would you still change out the oil pump??? I have an 02' m6 LS1 if that helps.
Yes. As the saying goes" Better safe than sorry.." An ls6 oil pump goes for what? a hundred bucks or so? A hundred dollars is better(see cheaper) than an engine rebuild.

as for me.
Futral Cam 400
used PR had a dyno run on them(wrong size) iirc 80 bucks
ls6 oil pump 100~
patriot gold duals 220ish (bought them on sale)
ls7 lifters 110
ls2 trays 40ish
complete gasket kit with everything and then some 170ish
I got all lifters and gaskets together i just remember it being mid 200s
243 new castings 700 bucks sold springs/retainers and locks off these for 60 bucks
fluids a bit of money
and then..turning a heads/cam nitrous build into a turbo build mid build...
priceless lol
Old 01-24-2011, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This depends on the setup. I've had friends (as in more than one) have their tuner tell them that their fuel pump wasn't enough with cam only. One of them was running the MS4. From what I could find (and don't quote me on this because this is only what I have read), the stock f-body pumps are only good to 380rwhp and they start being too light on fuel delivery.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by no1izspeshl
Yes. As the saying goes" Better safe than sorry.." An ls6 oil pump goes for what? a hundred bucks or so? A hundred dollars is better(see cheaper) than an engine rebuild.

as for me.
Futral Cam 400
used PR had a dyno run on them(wrong size) iirc 80 bucks
ls6 oil pump 100~
patriot gold duals 220ish (bought them on sale)
ls7 lifters 110
ls2 trays 40ish
complete gasket kit with everything and then some 170ish
I got all lifters and gaskets together i just remember it being mid 200s
243 new castings 700 bucks sold springs/retainers and locks off these for 60 bucks
fluids a bit of money
and then..turning a heads/cam nitrous build into a turbo build mid build...
priceless lol
better safe then sorry huh?
better do a trunion upgrade
oh your using nitrous? better change your pistons out to something forged
make sure you change out you rod bolts too
wait patriot dual golds? no way. get the '11 treated PACs
IT NEVER ENDS
any ******* can buy and change parts, the guys that know what they doing spraying and tearing the motor down every other event know what needs to be done or not. brings me to the reuse head gaskets BS. there are people spraying 250shots on reused MLS gaskets, do you think a stock motor will push the gasket to 60% of what the nitrous motor will?

your changing your timing chain because your increasing the load on the chain from more aggressive cams and increased spring loads.

how does the timing chain compare to the oil pump?

the pump is a meh lets change it because im here just like the lifters.
the timing chain NEEDS to be upgraded to maintain a margin of safety as the GM engineers intended.

the LS6 pump is not an upgrade, its a maintenance replacement part.

im not saying not to replace the pump, but dont turn around and tell me i cheaped out because i ONLY spent 800 on a cam swap. i easily could have spent $350 and had 85% of what i have now.

specifically this goes to you soundengineer calling people retards and cheapskates because they didn't follow your idea of acceptable. funny this is all coming from a guy that put a $7000 motor in a $10000 car.

Last edited by disc0monkey; 01-25-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:25 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1jorge
Yup thats where I'm at this moment.
ls1jorge if you just changing a lifter and are not really interested in a cam swap i retract my advice to go bigger. imo i would spend 50 bucks on new ls6 springs throw in the 405hp ls6 cam and keep your stock heads if you want a couple extra ponies just do a quick light port yourself. no tune needed and be done.

Last edited by disc0monkey; 01-25-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone have an exact price and list of everything, my car is a 2000, do I need injectors and a fuel pump?
Old 01-26-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
Anyone have an exact price and list of everything, my car is a 2000, do I need injectors and a fuel pump?
Depends on how big of a cam you go with and if you plan on spraying in the future.

BTW I thought you were trying to sell your car not cam it.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shockwave179
Depends on how big of a cam you go with and if you plan on spraying in the future.

BTW I thought you were trying to sell your car not cam it.
That was when I thought the programe I wanted to go to school for started this semester, but it starts in sep.. so the car gets to stay! Gonna refresh the tranny and possibly cam it. Im possibly buying a used cam from a friend, 231/237 cam.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:55 AM
TECH Addict

Pretty sure you can get a decent budget heads/cam setup from Texas speed for $1700....grated you add a tune and what not. But still, some of u paid more than that just for a cam install....
Old 05-21-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

motor mounts? are those necessary say if you're expecting about 370 rwhp/tq best case scenario?

Quick Reply: How much did you spend to Cam your LS1?