Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which cam puts out the best gains!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol yeah I really don't think that would be a good idea eathier..
If I'm going to cam my LS1 then I'm just going to pull the motor and re-work it.

Originally Posted by Tyler_LS1
If it were me I'd go with one that has good mid range and won't rap out too high, I wouldn't be spinning a 170k mile ls1 near 7k
Old 01-24-2011, 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Figure out what your goals are first and then go from there. Remember you don't need a huge cam to get the job done just ask the people I line up with what my little Futral cam does to them. I'm a fan of Cam Motion and will preach them cause they always get over looked by the more common choices of EPS,TSP,TR, etc and so on. I'm not saying those companies have bad cams or anything just saying cam motion and futral cams get over looked.

Don't let anyone's opinion sway you. Do your research, talk to a shop you trust and then make your decisions.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree about looking and talking to all the cam makers and decide for yourself.
FMS has good cams, I have always liked the F11 and F13 cams, made good peak as well as under curve power. They are over looked, unfortunately.
I am also aware that Geoff designed the TR cams including the famed and ton-o hp cam the TRex, but those are old designs, EXCELLENT cams, but not the latest in lobes. Geoff's latest grinds for EPS are the easiest on the valve train by not snapping the valves closed so hard among other reasons. Not to mention, everyone I have talked to says there is no famed cam sewing machine from under the hood.

Also, FWIW, a buddy went faster on a Trak cam then the TRex. Cam Only camaro, QA1's, Yank 4400... He said it was easier to tune I believe too.

Last edited by seadoo; 01-24-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the comments guys.. They all have been helpful and l look forward to more.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Lots of good cam grinders out there but i have to recommend Geoff at EPS. Great guy to deal with and will get you a good cam.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hey money **** all those proven cams. come over to my garage and ill grind you out a cam on my bench grinder. best in the west my cams are.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone ever dyno a Trex and any EPS cam that makes more power? whats the EPS cam thay should?
Old 01-25-2011, 01:28 AM
TECH Resident

Futral Motorsports Cams .
Old 01-25-2011, 04:54 AM
Launching!

Is this thread a which cam is more popular, so I can buy that one and a be apart of the cool group thread?

Old 01-25-2011, 05:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

O wow..

Trash this thread, pm pat g.. do what he says, its that simple.

And sound engineer... wow!!! Chill on trex nuts man. It is not for everyone, does not make good low end power, does not drive like stock, or do any of the other bull **** things you are trying to blow up peoples ***. If you go with a trex/ms4/etc know what you are getting into. Those are all for a max effort setup, it does not sound like that is what you want to me. Not to count it has been proven that you can run damn near what the donkey dick cams run with something as small as a 228 cam.

It is the largest cam you can fit in an ls1.. You are really so naive you believe those thongs?
Old 01-25-2011, 06:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
O wow..

Trash this thread, pm pat g.. do what he says, its that simple.

And sound engineer... wow!!! Chill on trex nuts man. It is not for everyone, does not make good low end power, does not drive like stock, or do any of the other bull **** things you are trying to blow up peoples ***. If you go with a trex/ms4/etc know what you are getting into. Those are all for a max effort setup, it does not sound like that is what you want to me. Not to count it has been proven that you can run damn near what the donkey dick cams run with something as small as a 228 cam.

It is the largest cam you can fit in an ls1.. You are really so naive you believe those thongs?
X2.. and I'm pretty sure the MS3 is wayyyy more popular than the TREX cam. Even the TR 224 is probably more popular.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by studderin
Anyone ever dyno a Trex and any EPS cam that makes more power? whats the EPS cam thay should?
What??

Tyler, spray it! Cams are for girls.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Hey Joe? Lol how much for a bench grind cam. I hear those are the ****..lol...

I really wish peopl would stop thinking that I'm going to take one persons advice. I JUST WANTED TO GET AN IDEA ON WHAT PEOPLE ARE USING..
Old 01-25-2011, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by studderin
Pretty sure your the one with dyno testing on these big cams..

Why don't YOU share
Old 01-25-2011, 12:28 PM
JP
On The Tree

hotcam and be done
Old 01-25-2011, 12:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I would be willing to bet this as well.

All the EPS cheerleaders lately forget that Geoff probably designed just about EVERY Thunder cam they have on the shelf. So if EPS cams are so good, then so are Thunders, bc they are designed from the same person just at different times.

Let me tell you what I do know. I know somebody with a G5Xwhatever cam (the 230/228 split) and it runs good. It puts down the performance it is supposed to. I have had a Thunder cam, it did exactly what it was designed to do. I have seen a HPE S-cam haul *** also. I have rode in a Torquer V3 car and it moved out. TSP has a shitload of engine dyno time on their cams. Futral was an innovator of LS grinds, his cams come very highly recommended. I have ridden in a Pat G custom grind car and it moved out with lots of torque as well. I personally chose a Cam Motion shelf grind. I didnt feel the need for a custom grind bc they had exactly what i was looking for. Their cams are cut small and the lobes ramp up fast. I like this. Cam Motion manufactures cams, and Futral uses them to cut his cams but they cut them specifically to his specs and the lobes he wants. Cam motion shelf cam lobes are unique to them. Everyone else uses Comp to manufacture the cam, with varying lobes. EPS has the LSG lobe, TR has a "proprietary" lobe (meaning their own design). I think TSP mixes their lobe selection up.

Wanna know the spooky part? TR, EPS, Cam Motion, and Futral are all within a few miles of each other.

True story.
Not quite true...

Although Geoff did design the TRex and many of our classic cams such as the TR224 and TRak cams, any cam design in the last two and a half years has been done in house. I will always give credit where credit is due and Geoff knows his stuff. On the other hand, that doesn't mean there aren't others out there who can spec some awesome cams. If you take a look at our website, we have plenty of new designs which outsell the older designs by a hefty margin. If you look at any of our TRuTorq cams, CheaTR V3, sTRoker V3, etc... they are designs done in house by myself along with input from John and Gene and plenty of in house old school R&D. We do 2-3 builds a week which allows us to test many different grinds on a weekly basis. If you give us a call, you'll find I am willing to spend the time it takes to design a grind for your specific application. I take all factors into account regarding your vehicle and its intended usage. I don't just sell "whats on the shelf" and my guys are only going to try and lead you in the right direction for YOU. We sell tons of TRex's, no doubt, but we try our best not to, since its NOT the right cam for most.

Also, just to clear this up, Thunder Racing cams are ground by Comp, EPS uses Comp as well and Futral uses Cam Motion (last I knew) There is no business connection between any of the 3 TR, EPS, or Futral although we have done and do business with each other from time to time. FWIW, we have a great working relationship with Geoff of EPS and he does some tuning for us from time to time.

Thanks,
Shane

Last edited by XtraCajunSS; 01-25-2011 at 01:00 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-25-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Shane, thats good to know. I wasn't aware you would spec someone a custom cam. I guess bc you never hear anyone talk about it. And I have never been to your shop, although my car has..........
Old 01-25-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djfury05
X2.. and I'm pretty sure the MS3 is wayyyy more popular than the TREX cam. Even the TR 224 is probably more popular.
Without a doubt, 228r would be ahead as well. Trex is well known if not the most known but not ran as much as most good all around cams.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Shane, thats good to know. I wasn't aware you would spec someone a custom cam. I guess bc you never hear anyone talk about it. And I have never been to your shop, although my car has..........
No problem man, I just wanted to make sure everyone knows what we are up to these days, I am so busy in the shop, I don't get as much of a chance to be on the forums as I used to, but we do plenty of custom stuff here. Some of the sickest "street" cars around the country are running my engines/cams although many won't say so...

Although its always fun building big cubic inch power adder deals, I have 5 in progress for customers in Australia right now... Most of my R&D is concentrated on the daily driver/street srip crowd, see our TRuTorq cams as an example. I've spent countless hours and tens of thousands of dollars in the last couple of years to develop cams with better street manners, better spring life, and BROADER, BIGGER torque curves. These cams will make peak numbers to rival many of the larger cams out there but do away with alot of the headaches associated with them. You'll find these cams will be much easier to tune as well as drive. One other big plus, you can set the idle down to 650 or 700 for a nice choppy lope or you can bump it up a couple of hundred for a nice smooth stealthy approach. For the ultimate in stealth, see our CheaTR V.3 with is one of my designs, it by far is one of our best sellers and will work wonders in anything from a 5.3 to a 6.2. These cams are all designed around a stock stroke, stock rod length, stock type intake manifold. For stroker builds, I have a whole new family of cams many of which are not even on our website yet but the sTRoker V.3 is probably the best to date for anything up to 427 cu. in.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 01-25-2011, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

lets say i want a cam that sounds like its going to die, puts down good power up to 6500, wanna spray between a 100 shot or 150. what spec of a cam should i go with? oh BTW this is going in a 170k LS1 also...oh god im going to kill my car lol

Quick Reply: Which cam puts out the best gains!!!