Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DOHC heads on LSx from a Nissan Titan...read

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 04:57 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

That article references "specific power", which is along the lines of "horsepower per liter". By that metric, we should all have 1.6L Honda engines running 230 HP and twelve pounds of torque at 9,000 rpm in our cars.

The write even says that the specific horsepower does not necessarily win any races, so it's only bragging rights.

Look at it this way, Northstar was a 4.6L 32V engine.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
That article references "specific power", which is along the lines of "horsepower per liter". By that metric, we should all have 1.6L Honda engines running 230 HP and twelve pounds of torque at 9,000 rpm in our cars.

The write even says that the specific horsepower does not necessarily win any races, so it's only bragging rights.

Look at it this way, Northstar was a 4.6L 32V engine.
Just imagine how severely a Tesla would brainfuck their HP/L contest.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone old enough to remember the GurneyEagle 3 valve pushrod head ?
Old 04-03-2015, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fruitsalad
Just imagine how severely a Tesla would brainfuck their HP/L contest.
That's a very good point. Engine Masters should have a Mod vs Electric motor shoot-out!! Ha ha......
Old 02-03-2017, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Not pointless. I'm in the middle of building a destroked ls3 and would love overhead cams due to being able to rev more. Check out the Dohc ls7 by mercury racing
Old 02-04-2017, 07:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtslo04
Not pointless. I'm in the middle of building a destroked ls3 and would love overhead cams due to being able to rev more. Check out the Dohc ls7 by mercury racing
Pretty pointless actually.
On paper it might sound ok, but in the real world when you factor in cost, complexity and added weight (to the top of the engine, giving you a higher center of gravity) and actually getting the huge heads to fit in the engine bay all for a few hp in the upper RPM range it seems totally silly unless you are just being trying to be different and don't mind losing to a pushrod LSx for a lot less money and effort.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbos'ss
eventually pushrods will go the way of the dodo bird. LS motors are the last real bastion of pushrod engines in the market. I'm willing to bet the Gen V SBC motors will be DOHC with DI much like the SIDI LNF motor.
Wrong
Old 02-05-2017, 01:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default VK-56/LSx = OK

Hi "GTS", I have GREAT experience with the VK-56 engine with OEM Ti-Retainers.
I worked with Butch Meyer and Carl R. to win CORR racing championships.
I manufacture O/S intake and exhaust valves that are LONGER.
I manufacture Valve Springs for the VK-56.
I manufacture ITB's @ 50mm (eight) for the VK-56.

Thus MY Camshaft set (4) is @ 600.00.

I have heads in stock with porting, cams, springs, O/S valves. (BBB)

My typical VK-56 with cams and ITB's = 485 RWHP

Would you like my help ?
I can do an EAP ?

Lance
Old 02-05-2017, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
Hi "GTS", I have GREAT experience with the VK-56 engine with OEM Ti-Retainers.
I worked with Butch Meyer and Carl R. to win CORR racing championships.
I manufacture O/S intake and exhaust valves that are LONGER.
I manufacture Valve Springs for the VK-56.
I manufacture ITB's @ 50mm (eight) for the VK-56.

Thus MY Camshaft set (4) is @ 600.00.

I have heads in stock with porting, cams, springs, O/S valves. (BBB)

My typical VK-56 with cams and ITB's = 485 RWHP

Would you like my help ?
I can do an EAP ?

Lance
you lost me there bud I don't speak Nissan. Would you be able to make a set of video heads fit? I work a Cnc 7 days a week I'm sure I could fab up a system if you can make the heads fit. fab up two round pieces identical to cam bearings to go in place of the rear two bearings that have lines coming off up through the lifter valley through the cover and to the heads for oil support, blank cam only going to the other cam bearings to prevent too much oil loss or even block them off completely. Fab up a chain drive or belt drive for the heads to crank. Then comes the hard part. Ecu soft wear. Anybody who says "dohc lsx engines are stupid" needs to check out mercury eacings sb4 and qc4 ls7 base engine dohc. Na 770 turbo 1650hp on a "very conservator tune" they were going to produce a kit to retrofit older lsx engines but gm has bought their patent. Rumor is gm bought in rights to their patent and 2018 vette is going to be dohc. This is the exact same company that built the first lt1 and also lt5
Old 02-05-2017, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Pretty pointless actually.
On paper it might sound ok, but in the real world when you factor in cost, complexity and added weight (to the top of the engine, giving you a higher center of gravity) and actually getting the huge heads to fit in the engine bay all for a few hp in the upper RPM range it seems totally silly unless you are just being trying to be different and don't mind losing to a pushrod LSx for a lot less money and effort.

can we agree to this?.. the only limitation to power is how much air and fuel in the proper ratio you can get in the cylinder and combust it efficiently.. there is no replacement for displacement with the given exception of boost, nitrous, or raising combustion efficiency. Well guys air flow numbers don't lie. Here are flow numbers on "useless dohc heads"

the bright grey line is a set of ls3 heads for comparison

Last edited by Gtslo04; 02-05-2017 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Additional info on flow chart
Old 02-06-2017, 10:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default DFV LS Head Conversion

Hi GTS, sounds like a "team" effort.

I use SW, I can create the files.
Do you use Master Cam ?

I would like to send you some pictures of the drive on the VK-56.

I would use a Wegner WP, a "drive" similar to Casey's SC kit.

EAP model @ 740HP (8000RPM) (337 CID)

Sounds like you are interested ?

Lance
Old 05-03-2020, 08:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbos'ss
eventually pushrods will go the way of the dodo bird. LS motors are the last real bastion of pushrod engines in the market. I'm willing to bet the Gen V SBC motors will be DOHC with DI much like the SIDI LNF motor.
falce
Old 05-03-2020, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,106 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
falce
Yup. It'll be a bigger jump, as in... "and now for something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.."
Old 05-03-2020, 11:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 130 Posts

do we not remember back I the late 80s early 90s when the ls stuff was in early stages, the anonymous lt4 vs lt5 dohc corvette test? Do u think the results would be the same if we did that same test today?
Old 05-03-2020, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by Floorman279
do we not remember back I the late 80s early 90s when the ls stuff was in early stages, the anonymous lt4 vs lt5 dohc corvette test? Do u think the results would be the same if we did that same test today?
Excellent point. Probably most folks have never heard of the test.

The DOHC LT5 engine while exceptional added about one hundred pounds of weight. It also required an additional two hundred additional pounds of weight gain in the car with other equipment etc compared to the LT4.

I think GM Powertrain/Propulsion call the concept Power Density. Small package with low weight that makes max power. In other words best power for weight and volume. Often the smaller lighter push rod engines have the best power density.

I doubt GM will go DoHC crazy because electric powered cars are on the horizon as the power train of choice.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 05-05-2020 at 04:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (05-03-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Yup. It'll be a bigger jump, as in... "and now for something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.."
What an old thread...

But if I recall correctly, there are F1 engines that don't use a camshaft or mechanical timing mechanisms at all. They had a crazy electronic solenoid thing on each valve and it was 100% computer controlled. No spring even.

Necessity is it the mother of invention though. The reason we still have pushrods in LS engines is because it's economically viable to produce and it just plain works. There is no reason to go to DOHC unless you get something more out of it. We have pushrods going to 8000rpm which no one thought practical 20+ years ago. But they made it work and it's cheap, so it stays. I'm not sure what an over head cam can offer if you can't gain any RPM or engine life. Timing belts are the devils engine part IMO.

Last edited by LetsTurboSomething; 05-04-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Anyone read about this DOHC LS7?

https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=12559
Old 05-04-2020, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Overhead cam does give the crank more room for longer stroke, but it increases weight, dimensions (height and width).

The comment above regarding power density is very relevant.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:52 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by LetsTurboSomething
What an old thread...

But if I recall correctly, there are F1 engines that don't use a camshaft or mechanical timing mechanisms at all. They had a crazy electronic solenoid thing on each valve and it was 100% computer controlled. No spring even.

Necessity is it the mother of invention though. The reason we still have pushrods in LS engines is because it's economically viable to produce and it just plain works. There is no reason to go to DOHC unless you get something more out of it. We have pushrods going to 8000rpm which no one thought practical 20+ years ago. But they made it work and it's cheap, so it stays. I'm not sure what an over head cam can offer if you can't gain any RPM or engine life. Timing belts are the devils engine part IMO.
FreeValve. I want to say koenigsegg developed it. The idea is awesome. VVT plus variable duration. Wouldn't even need gears at the track lol. Now if only Koenigsegg would develop Half Life 3....

I can tell you I've had three engines go where I had to replace all the valves, and all three were overhead cam. One was a belt and two were chains. The belt broke. The other two were the same car. Chain had stretched and jumped a tooth. I repaired it. new chain, etc. 20k miles later did it again. That car is now rebar I think.

Power density FTW. One of the reasons LS swaps are so prevalent (possibly even the main reason) is power density. You can fit it into almost anything - I mean ****, if it can fit in a S10... And name another small block that goes to 440 CI
The following 2 users liked this post by Darth_V8r:
Bob570 (05-05-2020), G Atsma (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 06:27 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,503 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
FreeValve. I want to say koenigsegg developed it. The idea is awesome. VVT plus variable duration. Wouldn't even need gears at the track lol. Now if only Koenigsegg would develop Half Life 3....

I can tell you I've had three engines go where I had to replace all the valves, and all three were overhead cam. One was a belt and two were chains. The belt broke. The other two were the same car. Chain had stretched and jumped a tooth. I repaired it. new chain, etc. 20k miles later did it again. That car is now rebar I think.

Power density FTW. One of the reasons LS swaps are so prevalent (possibly even the main reason) is power density. You can fit it into almost anything - I mean ****, if it can fit in a S10... And name another small block that goes to 440 CI
Laughed at the statement in bold for 2 minutes. Hilarious!

Quick Reply: DOHC heads on LSx from a Nissan Titan...read