Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you order EPS cam from Summit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What are you saying? Geoff owns the EPS lobes and as long as he oks it they can be used. I have done it on an individual basis with similar lobes. I have some lobes like this but yes no one can use them on their own. I was saying he could let comp know about that particular order so the guy could get his free interest and pay the difference directly to Geoff at EPS so he makes his money. No matter what Geoff would still have to get paid. It's a lot of extra BS so he might not do that though but of course Geoff would have to OK it himself.

Could Comp mess up and let some go by accident? I am sure that could happen but wouldn't normally but in the real world anything can happen.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by racer7088
What are you saying? Geoff owns the EPS lobes and as long as he oks it they can be used. I have done it on an individual basis with similar lobes. I have some lobes like this but yes no one can use them on their own. I was saying he could let comp know about that particular order so the guy could get his free interest and pay the difference directly to Geoff at EPS so he makes his money. No matter what Geoff would still have to get paid. It's a lot of extra BS so he might not do that though but of course Geoff would have to OK it himself.

Could Comp mess up and let some go by accident? I am sure that could happen but wouldn't normally but in the real world anything can happen.
My "nope" comment did not relate to whether the transaction in this thread could be accomodated somehow - it simply went to the notion the cam grind was proprietary instead of the cam lobe (design). The proprietary arrangement is no different than an exclusive license, or patent and is quite common.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:18 AM
FormerVendor

Don't know exactly what you are saying but yes Comp designed it and Geoff paid them to do it for him and he sells those lobes through Comp and they are only sold through him. I have some lobes too like that as do others as there was no lobe for what we were doing and Comp designed some to fit what we needed in specs and lobe shape as far as rpm and stability vs. valvetrain mass and stiffness etc. We are probably agreeing I guess.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know exactly what you are saying but yes Comp designed it and Geoff paid them to do it for him and he sells those lobes through Comp and they are only sold through him. I have some lobes too like that as do others as there was no lobe for what we were doing and Comp designed some to fit what we needed in specs and lobe shape as far as rpm and stability vs. valvetrain mass and stiffness etc. We are probably agreeing I guess.
Well, I am guessing here, but I think Geoff designed it and had Comp grind it, with the condition that Comp would not supply that lobe to third parties since it was not Comps to share. In any event, it is not the camshaft specs, such as duration/lift/lsa, etc that is protected, it is the eps lobe itself.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:07 PM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

You might be right but its all the same really. I think Geoff's EPS cam cards of course show specs so I doubt he cares about that. Also Comp is who probably designed the lobes as they have the know how and software whereas none of us really do in general to grind a cam lobe with all the nitty gritty involved but we can have them design it per our usage.

I have some .700 lift hydraulic rollers and matching springs that Comp designed the lobes for as they do not sell stuff like that but we do. I have .750 lift hydraulic roller lobes again designed by Comp and other cam companies. They don't make these themselves because it's way out there at this point.

Geoff's EPS lobes are fine tailored for what he wanted in stability and power and noise etc. and seem to be awesome lobes as he made a lobe series with everything he wanted in it for the springs he sells and the valvetrain that is usually used along with it.

Anyway I will get out of this thread and say I have seen these EPS lobes work very well so far in the ones that people sent us on engines we did as well. People just need to buy them from Geoff at EPS if they want them.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have bought two custom cams from Geoff the first beat everyones estimates by 30 HP. The man takes your info and wants then specs you a cam, then has comp make it and either shipped to you, or to him and he will put it on a machine for like 10 bucks and make sure the cam specs at exactly what it says, then ship it to you..It is an easy process and the turnaround is not long. if you want to buy one of his cams with yor summit card, it aint happenin. You cant buy a Big Mac at Taco Bell,,
Old 01-31-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

...I have some .700 lift hydraulic rollers and matching springs that Comp designed the lobes for as they do not sell stuff like that but we do. I have .750 lift hydraulic roller lobes again designed by Comp and other cam companies. ...
DAMN! What's the spring / lifter life like on these?
Old 01-31-2011, 11:05 PM
FormerVendor

As always it depends on the usage and valve train weights and springs used but they last a pretty long time setup correctly like we do. On the street where you aren't turning much rpm a lot longer of course. Mostly these are for bracket or NA race stuff that still want hydraulic rollers. You can PM me for more info as I don't want to hijack this thread.

Quick Reply: How do you order EPS cam from Summit?