Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I think my cars about to blow

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiteaw57
do that. Im interested to see what all is hurt. metal on the dipstick is never good but im leaning torward more top end damage
Yeah it could be, im pretty sure atleast one pushrod is fucked. but i think the majority of the damage is in the bottom end
Old 01-31-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

sucks dude. Im sorry
Old 01-31-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the people scolding the guy for doing a BURNOUT in a MUSCLE CAR.

Since when is the LS1 made of glass? This forum sometimes...
Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Latch

THANK YOU! i mean its a LS1 muscle car with only 70k, i mean gimme a ******* break
Old 01-31-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

were not saying it cant handle it. I just dont think I woulda done that without an oil change and a little more inquiry to what the car had in it. you never know what you get with used cars
Old 01-31-2011, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

were not saying it cant handle it. I just dont think I woulda done that without an oil change and a little more inquiry to what the car had in it. you never know what you get with used cars
yeah man i hear ya, i know what your sayin. but the oil in the car was new
Old 01-31-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

did you change it yourself though? maybe could have seen metal in it before. All im saying is know what you have. believe me ive been in the same spot. I actually had a guy build me a motor. SBC actually and the dumbass seriously put 305 headgaskets on a 355. I had head gasket hanging over the bore. THIS WAS A PROFESSIONAL SHOP. Needless to say I trust no one and build my own stuff. Sry you got hosed bro but lesson learned and now you know what you have! thats the good news. toss some katech rod bolts in btw when you put it back together then you wont have to worry about the bottom end if you go ahead with more mods. Good luck!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

did you change it yourself though? maybe could have seen metal in it before. All im saying is know what you have. believe me ive been in the same spot. I actually had a guy build me a motor. SBC actually and the dumbass seriously put 305 headgaskets on a 355. I had head gasket hanging over the bore. THIS WAS A PROFESSIONAL SHOP. Needless to say I trust no one and build my own stuff. Sry you got hosed bro but lesson learned and now you know what you have! thats the good news. toss some katech rod bolts in btw when you put it back together then you wont have to worry about the bottom end if you go ahead with more mods. Good luck!
naa i didnt change it myself, but i deffinetly checked the oil on the dipstick really good, there wasnt any metal shavings. Im the same way tho, i dont like anyone messing with my ****, i would rather be doing it myself. So me and my buddys will deffinetly be doing this ourselves. but thanks man ill keep that in mind when im putting it bakc together, i just hope its not too fucked. its gonna be a loooong weekend lol
Old 01-31-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

yeah honestly it doesnt matter how bad it is if youre changing the bottom end. Bragging rights if anything. keep us posted though im super interested as to what actually let go. take lots of pics please ;-)
Old 02-01-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with the rebuild. This sounds like a case of bad luck, not anything due to the dealer or previous owner. The engine was going to die, and nobody knew it.

BTW, there's no way doing a burnout should even remotely come close to destroying an engine if everything is stock. The rest of the drivetrain and tires are a different story, haha....
Old 02-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Banned

everyone talking about lemon laws got me laughing. I own 2 used car dealerships, and the reason there is no such "lemon law" on used vehicles is because of this exact situation. Dealer sells a high performance car to a young adult. Young adult goes out and mashes on it, ,bends a rod and wants their money back. No lemon law on used cars children. I hate customers like that, that expect ME to warranty a 70k mile car after they go beat the hell out of it.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Banned

Yea good point. However when you choose to do that burnout and blow your engine its on your *** not the dealer that sold it to you. No dealer can guarantee that engine is perfect. We as dealers sell up to 50 cars a month, you think we can pull the heads off every engine and make sure they're perfect? No, thats what comes with buying a used car. It's a gamble if you want a NEW car pay 40k for a new camaro, otherwise your gambling. I understand how crappy it is to pull a loan out and the engine goes bad believe me that sucks, but it's not the dealers fault because it obviously fooled you enough to buy it, i'm sure it fooled him too, just unfortunate but happens quite often....
Old 02-01-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cody123
Yea good point. However when you choose to do that burnout and blow your engine its on your *** not the dealer that sold it to you. No dealer can guarantee that engine is perfect. We as dealers sell up to 50 cars a month, you think we can pull the heads off every engine and make sure they're perfect? No, thats what comes with buying a used car. It's a gamble if you want a NEW car pay 40k for a new camaro, otherwise your gambling. I understand how crappy it is to pull a loan out and the engine goes bad believe me that sucks, but it's not the dealers fault because it obviously fooled you enough to buy it, i'm sure it fooled him too, just unfortunate but happens quite often....
Oh I agree with you, I wouldn't hold the dealer accountable. I know there's no way they could tear down every single engine and inspect it for faults. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of people on the forum saying its abusing your muscle car to do a burnout in it. As if they haven't been lighting them up themselves...
Old 02-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Banned

Oh I agree with you, I wouldn't hold the dealer accountable. I know there's no way they could tear down every single engine and inspect it for faults. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of people on the forum saying its abusing your muscle car to do a burnout in it. As if they haven't been lighting them up themselves...

Oh yea your right 100%, i agree totally. Yea there's plenty of hipocracy here isn't there lol
Old 02-01-2011, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

Funny how things work, I bought a 2000 SS with 99k miles on it and proceeded to beat the **** out of it for the last two years. It now has 167k on it.

Back in 94' I bought a 89 GTA Trans Am with 70k miles on it. It had the 5.0 with a 5 speed, dual cat option and the Aussie 9 bolt. I wish I still had that car btw, lol. Anyway, I had it for a week or two and it developed and rod knock. I could barely afford the payment back then and I did not buy a warranty. After a few calls to the dealership,
and finance company my car ended up getting fixed at no charge to me. I have no idea why or how they did it but it seemed to come together after I called the finance company.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

you guys are beating a dead horse at this point. Im not saying that its the dealers fault. or the owners. Engines break, theyre man made, it happens. If there was any mistake at all and this is only opinion it may have been a lack of research as to what the car had, was, and any problems developing. Im just not a fan of doing my first limiter hitting burnout at the first stoplight out of the lot. Im not saying in this case he could have saved the motor even, just saying in the future check over what you buy thoroughly
Old 02-02-2011, 07:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would pull the valve covers, stock springs suck monkey ***** and you could have easily broken one. That will make a knock most definitely. A bent pushrod is more of a tick then a knock. As for losing oil pressure that's what leads me to believe it's something in the bottom end. Or maybe they put some water oil in the engine like 5w20 or something and as it warmed up it steadily drops off in pressure.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bjamick
I would pull the valve covers, stock springs suck monkey ***** and you could have easily broken one. That will make a knock most definitely. A bent pushrod is more of a tick then a knock. As for losing oil pressure that's what leads me to believe it's something in the bottom end. Or maybe they put some water oil in the engine like 5w20 or something and as it warmed up it steadily drops off in pressure.
Yeah i will most deffinetly pull the valve covers to check the valve springs and the rocker arms, and pull the heads and make sure the pushrods are ok. but im almost 100% positive its the bottom end, it didnt slowly lose oil pressure, it lost it all at one. which makes me think its deffinetly the oil pump...
Old 02-02-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well when you drain the oil you will know real quick. There will be metal all over the drain plug.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Its so funny to read threads from people who are trying to make their car faster and handing out advice all over the place and then those SAME GUYS bash on a guy for doing a burn out LMAO! Come on fellas, Seriously? If that doesn't SCREAM bench-racer then idk what does. There are THOUSANDS of people who do burnouts in their LS1 cars and have no problems. Its not like he just wired up a 300 shot of nitrous on it and let it ride without tuning it.

This is just something that happened and it is no ones fault. The dealership is not at fault and neither is the owner of the car. That engine was on the way out and it showed no signs and thats just how it works sometimes. This could've just as easily happened when he was passing someone on the highway. **** happens.