Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I think my cars about to blow

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright guys the car has been towed to my buddy's garage, and we plan on tearing into it tomorrow. First were just gonna pull the oil pan and see what all is fucked. I'm really hoping the rods and crank is still good. I'm hoping ill just have to replace the spun rod bearing and the oil pump. What are the chances that the rods are fucked? I mean i know they certainly can be and i wont know until i get in there and see but i just wanna know what you guys think. I mean the car didn't run but about a minute after it started knocking, i pretty much turned it off as soon as it started knocking. I haven't drove it one bit, its been towed everywhere. Wouldn't it have lost (a lot) of power if a rod were bent/broke/or came lose? Because it didn't seem to lose any power at all....
Old 02-04-2011, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

What are the chances that the oil pump actually failed at 70,000 miles? I can not see an oil pump failing on a stock motor unless it was defective in the first place and it it was defective I would think it would most likely would have failed before 70k. Is the oil pump failing a common occurance for 98-99 model years?
Old 02-04-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So ur just gonna throw some new bearings in it assuming no rods are bent? It takes alot more than just new bearings and oil pump on a engine that has failed like yours.if the bearings are damaged,Thers prolly other issues as well.IMO ur better off dropping in a running used engine than just replacing the bearings and pump. By doing that ur setting urself up for failure.just get a lq4 or ls1 longblock. Even a 5.3 shortblock if low on $ and reuse the ls1 heads
Old 02-04-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If ur in Houston I got a good 5.3 shortblock fs cheep
Old 02-05-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it doesn't matter what kind of car it is, either it's warranted or not. all of those terms are available in your agreement.

it's a shitty situation, no matter how you play it. a few facts exist, let's review:

you bought a used car
you did a burnout
you blew up the motor

it appears you are soley responsible at this point. no one knows how long it would've lasted, as it is a used car. you assume all liability in the purchase.

at this point, you need to tear that motor completely apart. you prob just spun a rod bearing. do it once and do it right, don't cut corners repairing it.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Alright guys, i pulled the oil pan last saturday and its pretty bad. Its just like you guys said, its the back bearings. The bearing were completely screwed, and unfortunately my crank got pretty screwed up too. So did the rods. So a pretty much a complete bottom end rebuild is whats going on. I'm gonna pull the heads and check and make sure everythings still fine, and while im in there im gonna replace the push rods and rod bolts. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what i should replace or upgrade?
Old 02-12-2011, 05:10 AM
Teching In

Pushrods, Katech or ARP rod bolts( RESIZE THE RODS!), valve springs, LS7 lifters, piston rings, bearings, oil pump, LS2 timing chain, headgaskets, NEW GM headbolts. Might as well put a bigger cam in it while it's apart. Maybe consider doing the trunnion upgrade on the stock rockers.