Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone send their block to Darton for sleeving?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone send their block to Darton for sleeving?

They tell me they guarantee it, have the latest technology, do it for MTI and lingenfelter among others, and will do the finish work.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use them. Steve is the co-inventor of the design and install process. He has perfected it to an ART!
Old 02-13-2004, 02:47 PM
FormerVendor

Steve does not work for Darton he is doing the installs. He is who I would use.

Nate
Old 02-13-2004, 02:51 PM
Badass pool player

MTI has the necessary equipment and expertise to build a Darton Sleeved Block. In fact, that's the only type of block that goes into their big cube engine packages (427, etc.)

They buy the sleeves from Darton but do all the machining, prep work and assembly in house.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 145 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SAM98WS6
They tell me they guarantee it, have the latest technology, do it for MTI and lingenfelter among others, and will do the finish work.
I'm Steve from Race Engine Development - one of the sponsors of this site. If you send a block to Darton I am the one who does the machine work and installation of the sleeves. I do not work for Darton but am closely associated as a co-inventor of the MID sleeves and the one who does all the R&D on new blocks during sleeve development. I also provide Darton with machining and installation instructions that are passed along to other shops through their web site.

Both MTI and Lingenfelter do their own installs on Rottler equipment. I do installs directly for many of the other sponsors on this site and other tuner shops, and members of LS1TECH.

I use a precision industrial CNC milling machine that has coolant capability to keep the work piece, block, temperature constant during the machining process. Coolant is a critical component of the machining process that can not be over stressed since tolerances and finish cannot be held to the +- half thousandth required without coolant. In fact I now market CNC machines and stress relief machines at very competitive pricing, including training, and fixturing to shops that are interested in doing the work correctly. There will shortly be a fully equipped installation facility in the Atlanta area using my equipment and training.

As far as guarantee. I guarantee that the machine work and installation was done correctly whether you deal directly with me or through Darton. Sleeves themselves are guaranteed by Darton to be free from defects. This guarantee covers leaks or sleeve dropping though sleeve dropping is not an issue with the MID wet sleeve. Guarantee does not cover anything else including damage to the engine from overheating, detonation, improper honing, incorrect coolant, dropped valves, engine blow up, etc.

I do finish work, and assembly time permitting or will find someone competent in my area to do this if I do not have time. This time of the year I am pretty busy machining blocks and doing engine development work, special projects for the upcoming racing season.

Steve Demirjian
Race Engine Development
Old 02-14-2004, 04:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

So how much does one cost?
Old 02-14-2004, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

The rights to your first unborn child.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by masterdill
The rights to your first unborn child.

Yeah, it'd be nice if it'd come down a little. Might as well go C5R with that about of money involved.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 145 Likes on 42 Posts

Default MID vs. C5R

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6

Yeah, it'd be nice if it'd come down a little. Might as well go C5R with that about of money involved.
Darton is doing what it can to hold the line on price. I don't like posting prices here but retail on the sleeves is $1,320. Darton's cost has gone up substantially since Jan 1 but they have held the line on pricing.

If one adds up the cost of machine work to install the sleeves, finish boring, honing, main studs, align honing and stress relief (brand new blocks only) one arrives at a price less than half that of a C5R. Keep in mind that a new C5R block needs to be honed to size as well.

The Darton MID block if done correctly is substantially stronger in the cylinder wall area than a C5R. Another plus is better cooling with the MID sleeves. The only other difference would be the billet caps and main studs on the C5R vs. the powder metal on the standard block. Pro Gram sells replacement steel caps that one can fit to a standard block but this is unnecessary for most builds. I recommend fitting studs on the mains of any block I do here, Ls1 or otherwise for the more even clamping and less distortion of the block they provide.

Steve Demirjian
Race Engine Development
Old 02-15-2004, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DG Gordon
So how much does one cost?
I can answer that.
With core (your block) - $2,300
Without core - $3,000
These prices are without shipping.
I have done about six blocks with Steve. He will definitely be the one that does the work on any block coming out of my shop as he is just a few miles away.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve - Race Eng
have held the line on pricing.

If one adds up the cost of machine work to install the sleeves, finish boring, honing, main studs, align honing and stress relief (brand new blocks only) one arrives at a price less than half that of a C5R. Keep in mind that a new C5R block needs to be honed to size as well.
Sometimes when people look at the price of a resleeved block, I think they fail to realize some of this machine can end up being required for even a properly built 346 or 382 stroker. For example: going from 3.898 to 3.905 (need new pistons too just like with a resleeve) can require opening up the bore a little, honing, main studs are always nice etc. In other words, a properly sleeved block is ready to go. A stock 346 block might need $500 to $800 of machine work in some cases depending on the application. Once has to be very careful to make sure one is comparing apples to apples to see that the cost really is.

In other words building a resleeve Super Stroker may only cost ~$2000 or so more than doing a stroker. The block for the stroker will need some of the same machine work the resleeve does.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For a 3rd party comment, call Chris or Brian at APE, they just did some machine work on a wet-sleeve block Steve prepared for one of us upstate NY'ers.
I think they have had an upclose and personal look at it!

Quick Reply: Anyone send their block to Darton for sleeving?