Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to pre-oil (pressurize) a new motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 09:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Question How to pre-oil (pressurize) a new motor?

I'm just about about ready to fire off my new LS6 motor. Any recommendations on how to pre-pressurize the motor with oil? I really don't want to just crank on it until the pressure builds up before firing it off. Any recommendation on pre-pressurizers and where to hook them up? Thanks!
Old 02-14-2004, 09:28 PM
I can shift faster than you.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kent-Moore sells a pre-luber for the LS1 motor. It threads into an oil galley on the driver's side of the block (an 8mm freeze plug is located there) and you manually lube the motor with the supplied pump.

You can always pull the IGN and fuel pump fuses and turn the motor over with the starter until oil pressure builds.

Or, just fire it up.

I have done it all three ways.

Jason
Old 02-14-2004, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always liked the idea of pulling the fuses. That way you don't have to buy any special tools.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

when i did mine, i just inpluged the coil packs and turned it over a couple times for about 10-15 sec each time and re-did the rocker arms and then fired it up!! thats what they said to do, the guy i bought it from
Old 02-15-2004, 07:02 AM
TECH Junkie

I was told to pull the fuel injection fuse and turn it over a few times.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the IGN and fuel pump fuses and crank it over for about 10 seconds.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:52 AM
12 Second Club

I pulled the coil pack plugs AND fuel pump fuse. Make sure you remove the fuel pump fuse, otherwise when your cranking it over, fuel will be dumping into the cylinder, causing wash down (when fuel washes the oil off the cylinder walls), which is BAD! good luck man.

Robbie
Old 02-15-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimes
I always liked the idea of pulling the fuses. That way you don't have to buy any special tools.
Thanks for the answers. I needed this one as well. I like the idea of pulling fuses/cranking the engine. Pulling the fuel pump fuse certainly beats disabling a mechanical fuel pump, or disconnecting the fuel line on a carbed car.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:39 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

I don't understand what the difference is between turning the motor over slowly or just starting it up? When the motor starts it is going to pump the oil faster that the starter would. If you have lubed everything when assembling then there should be enough lubricant supplied until the motor gets the oil there? I see pumping up the oil system with the Pre-luber from Kent moore, but not the advantage of the starter method. I say just crank it up if you are not going to use some other way to pump up the oil system other than turning it over with the starter. Maybe I'm dumb. Help me understand what ya'll are thinking.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Inspector12
I don't understand what the difference is between turning the motor over slowly or just starting it up? When the motor starts it is going to pump the oil faster that the starter would. If you have lubed everything when assembling then there should be enough lubricant supplied until the motor gets the oil there? I see pumping up the oil system with the Pre-luber from Kent moore, but not the advantage of the starter method. I say just crank it up if you are not going to use some other way to pump up the oil system other than turning it over with the starter. Maybe I'm dumb. Help me understand what ya'll are thinking.
It's different b/c you won't have the engine actually running w/ load on the lower end. Just a good idea to pre-lube.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

Use GMs engine assembly lube on all parts that are contacting metal... that stuff freakin works wonders! its thick enough to stay on all the parts unless you plan on leaving the engine on a stand for a long time... but I use it on all my cam swaps and will be using it on the LS1 im building right now for another customer
Old 02-15-2004, 09:19 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

I sorta understand what you are trying to say about the load, but lube is lube no mater where is came from oil or assembly lube? So if it is lubricated then why would it make a difference? I don't think it would I've seen the oil presure come right up on a dry motors(Assembly lube) very fast before I could tell if the motor had found it's idle. If you have doughts about it being prelubed then maybe there would be some arguement about this or if it were sitting a long while ETC... I don't think it will make a difference Just my opinion though. I dought any one could provide evidence either way. I am not telling everyone not to do this procedure (Prelubing)! I am simply providing some things to think about. I do think the Kent moore tool provides a better method than just turning it over with the starter. Good luck with your motor I am sure it will be fine with what ever method you use.

Quick Reply: How to pre-oil (pressurize) a new motor?