Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

burning oil at high RPM

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default burning oil at high RPM

I am burning a significant amount of oil, but only at high RPM. I get no smoke under normal driving conditions, but 5000 rpm and up it gets pretty bad. Is it most likely rings???? I have done the LS6 pcv conversion and it helped, but it is still a lot worse than I would like. Can anyone give me some advice?
Old 02-16-2004, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just so we're on the same page, how much oil are you losing per 3000 miles? The LS1 has always been known to eat oil. Have you noticed that the amount of oil that youre using has drastically changed? If so, the two most likely causes for oil burning are bad rings or valve guides, then again, LS1s eat oil when everything is working fine.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:21 AM

My 98 does the same above 5500 rpm. I will loose about and 1/8 quart of oil for every 10 1/4 mile passes. With regular street driving there will be no oil loss.
I have been told that the problem is the low-tension piston rings used start to flutter at high rpm and this is what causes the oil burning.

John
Old 02-16-2004, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

check the PCV as well

Old 02-16-2004, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

I have a new PCV valve, I haven't had it done long enough to really tell how much I am using. If it is the rings, will it hurt the performance of my car or just smoke? I am going to install a set of 5.3 heads in a couple of months, I guess if the problem is still there after the head install I will do the bottom end.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99HUGGSS
I have a new PCV valve, I haven't had it done long enough to really tell how much I am using. If it is the rings, will it hurt the performance of my car or just smoke? I am going to install a set of 5.3 heads in a couple of months, I guess if the problem is still there after the head install I will do the bottom end.
did it just start after you put your headers on, if so it mite be your pcv system, headers seem to cause a lot of smoke at high rpms
put a oil catch can on there and see if that helps
they are very cheap to build (home depot pvc pipe and some capends and hose fittings) if not then it is prob. the rings
hope that helps

Quick Reply: burning oil at high RPM