Sponsored by:

Give me your opinions on these lifters

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 06:45 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Give me your opinions on these lifters

I'm in the process of doing my LQ4 build, and I was planning on re-using the lifters that came with the shortblock since they only have 40k-ish miles on them. Now I'm getting paranoid about them and wondering if I should replace. I have an EPS cam spec'd by Pat G that was spec'd with stock lifters in mind, so I'm concerned about going to LS7 lifters since I've read that they can change your pushrod length and I've already bought new TFS custom length pushrods per Pat G's specs.

Let me know what you guys think. I thought they looked to be in pretty good shape. Tips show virtually no wear, and the rest of the lifter itself also looked good. This is just a random lifter I selected...the rest are in the same condition.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I wouldnt put used lifters on a new cam, due to the lifter has already established a wear pattern on the old cam, not to mention they could have contaminents in them from the original combo that will transfer right into your new build. LS7 lifters are a lil different, they are the same length on the outside but the cup position is different on the inside. the only way to be sure is to measure.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:10 AM
FormerVendor

If you're worried about it, just replace them. You can get a set of GM LS7 lifters for $139. You'll have at least that much in pulling the heads off to replace them down to road if you have an issue.

Jon
Old 03-07-2011, 09:35 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
If you're worried about it, just replace them. You can get a set of GM LS7 lifters for $139. You'll have at least that much in pulling the heads off to replace them down to road if you have an issue.

Jon
Jon, I appreciate the input, but as I stated above I have already purchased a set of custom length TFS pushrods based on stock lifter specs, per Pat G's specifications. My understanding is that the LS7 lifter can alter the pushrod length needed as opposed to a stock LS1 lifter due to a difference in cup height. If anything, I guess I would consider the Comp 850 or anything similar that is identical in spec to the LS1 lifter, if it is indeed needed.

Is the general consensus that any time you do a cam swap you should replace the lifters as well? It seems like I see all kinds of people on here doing the cam only, especially in a lower mileage car. Or is it the fact that since the heads are already off, then it's one of those "while you're in there it's a good thing to go ahead and..." things?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:37 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RARON455
Personally I wouldnt put used lifters on a new cam, due to the lifter has already established a wear pattern on the old cam, not to mention they could have contaminents in them from the original combo that will transfer right into your new build. LS7 lifters are a lil different, they are the same length on the outside but the cup position is different on the inside. the only way to be sure is to measure.
I knew that to be true (as far as wear pattern, etc) for the old flat-tappet style lifter, but didn't know if it applied the same way to a roller lifter. Maybe I should just go ahead and spring for a new set of Comps...
Old 03-07-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, even though it is a roller it is still a metal on metal situation establishing a wear pattern. You really dont want to be doing this again So your best bet is to replace the lifters, and probably a new set of pushrods,,I have sold two sets of pushrods on this site, they went fairly quickly and I didnt get beatup too bad,,cant sell em for new price, even though they are, people will just buy the new ones, knock a lil off the price and they will go....OR you can hust re-use the ones you have, and you may be fine,,,its that may part that sometimes hits your wallet real hard though.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wooooood reuse them and i'm very fussy.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:28 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Looks like I have some more searching to do...

Any other opinions?
Old 03-07-2011, 01:32 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Just a thought here...

If these are the lifters out of a newer-style LQ4, then are they the older LS1-style lifter, or the newer LS7 style lifter? When did the LS7 style become the stock replacement?
Old 03-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Banned

Honestly you are putting too much thought into this, those lifters are fine to reuse.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:15 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by O2Form
Honestly you are putting too much thought into this, those lifters are fine to reuse.
LOL, well you're right about me putting to much thought into it for sure.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The wear pattern thing really doesn't apply to roller lifters otherwise they wouldn't roll. They can wear down and so can cam lobes. Are you fine reusing them yea sure. But if it was my build I would have got the ls7 ones because pulling heads for lifters isn't exactly a 5 minute job.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You still have a wear pattern on roller lifters..... There is still friction on them reguardless. Replace them to be safe, youll regret if it comes back too bite you in the ***.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by parks450
You still have a wear pattern on roller lifters..... There is still friction on them reguardless. Replace them to be safe, youll regret if it comes back too bite you in the ***.
Nothing is gonna bite his ***.........I see no good reason not to reuse them. Its no different than reusing the pistons and crank if they are not worn. Geez our society has really groomed you young guys to just toss things away.....If you think new lifters can't give you problems too you are greatly mistaken.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

There are many many guys on this forum who have replaced cams with many more miles than yours without replacing the lifters.

Just look at them closely for any surface irregularities like scratches, chips, voids, pits, etc. If they are smooth and shiny without irregularities, I can't see any reason to worry.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

there are also many guys who have re-used their parts and had it come right back and bite them in the tail also..It all comes down to what you feel comfortable doing. Anyone who thinks that two pieces of metal riding on each other does not cause a wear pattern does not know what they are talking about, The truth of it all is its your money and your build, so your decision. I wouldnt put a set of 40K mile lifters on my new 400 dollar cam. But I went with the morels in my stroker so my opinion is different than others.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

AGREE with raron455 I wouldnt reuse old lifters reguardless if there good. Im not saying you can't, I've seen people do it and have no bad outcome but I've also seen people miss the tiniest imperfection and it screw them. so ultimately its your own personnel preference. Choose wisely.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:22 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cams all have front to rear movement so the wear pattern is not a constant. Even the crank has .007 front to rear movement. No scratches, go with it or new lifters. You are the one who has to live with it.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:33 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

You guys aren't making this any easier on me...lol.

If I get new lifters, do I also need new trays? The ones I have seem to be holding the lifters in the cups quite tightly.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ls2 trays are cheap from scoggin again up to you on that. I replace everything on my builds, but that is me. Ill take my chances with new parts and manufacturing defects rather than used parts