Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

408 piston relief recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 408 piston relief recommendation

havent really decided the cam im going with but want to be sure that with whatever i choose it will clear the pistons using the prc 237cc head. (2.100/1.6 intake valve)

i was thinking of a cam around the size of the tsp tsunami. .648/.609. i was thinking of ordering the -3 cc valve reliefed wiseco pistons or would i have to go with a -8cc?

thanks in advance. looking to order in the next day or two
Old 03-07-2011, 11:00 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

-8 or -10 and you will be golden..
it will also keep your compression up which will help with power and driveability with a bigger cam
Old 03-07-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks, i figured at the very least i would need to go with a -8 just to be safe.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:32 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go -3cc with those heads. That way you will not need to mill as much to get your compression back up where you want it for an NA or nitrous build! With the -3cc piston, GM MLS gaskets, and the standard 68cc you will net right at 11.3:1 static compression!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 03-08-2011, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Matt thanks. i talked with john on the phone today and thats what i ordered. told him which heads i was planning to order from you in the future, and possible cam size. and he recommended i stick with the -3cc. but unfortunately they are back ordered til the end of the month its ok though. no worries.

i was talking with the machine shop today. he was talking about possibly decking the block. will i run into any issues doing this with the prc 237cc head/-3cc piston?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either one should net you the same valve clearance but the -8cc has an additional dish. I went with -8cc pistons because it's easier to gain compression than try to add it, generally speaking... See signature for -8cc piston.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:15 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven02TA
Matt thanks. i talked with john on the phone today and thats what i ordered. told him which heads i was planning to order from you in the future, and possible cam size. and he recommended i stick with the -3cc. but unfortunately they are back ordered til the end of the month its ok though. no worries.

i was talking with the machine shop today. he was talking about possibly decking the block. will i run into any issues doing this with the prc 237cc head/-3cc piston?
It shouldn't be an issue. Just have the machine shop verify where any decking puts the piston (out of the hole) and that you pick your gasket thickness accordingly!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Quick Reply: 408 piston relief recommendation