Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do certain cam specs greatly affect low Torque gains ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do certain cam specs greatly affect low Torque gains ?

I have a 2003 Z06 with bolt ons and a cam package. For some reason it dynoed real low on torque and mediocre on HP. The cam itself is a high 230's/ low 240's duration , 605/610 lift with a 112 lsa. Other mods are Kooks 1 7/8 with cats and Vararam intake. It made 373 RWTQ. Yall think the cam specs are responsible for the low torque. I have already had it retuned two different times with two different tuners. The last tuner picked up 20 lbft torque more than the first one. Have any of yall experienced the same dilema as me ? I would appreciate as much feedback as possible.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post a graph.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dyno's a tuning tool, whats your terminal 1/4 mile speed? How does the car feel? Strong, or lacking?
Old 03-09-2011, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1balt
I have a 2003 Z06 with bolt ons and a cam package. For some reason it dynoed real low on torque and mediocre on HP. The cam itself is a high 230's/ low 240's duration , 605/610 lift with a 112 lsa. Other mods are Kooks 1 7/8 with cats and Vararam intake. It made 373 RWTQ. Yall think the cam specs are responsible for the low torque. I have already had it retuned two different times with two different tuners. The last tuner picked up 20 lbft torque more than the first one. Have any of yall experienced the same dilema as me ? I would appreciate as much feedback as possible.
Yes, a cam can be tailored for more trq.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
Dyno's a tuning tool, whats your terminal 1/4 mile speed? How does the car feel? Strong, or lacking?
Well i cant seem to get my scanner to work so i cant post up the dyno graph yet. But ever since i received the car back from its last tune, i havnt been able to take it to the track due to the stock clutch not holding up. Normally once a C5 Z06 starts to make over 400 Hp to the wheels, the clutch wont hold up. The car does feel powerful up top on the rpm band, but it just doesnt feel like much of a head snapper. I normally run the car with Hoosier drag radials as well. I tried doing a search on other forum members with the same cam but not much luck. The cam is originally from HorsePowerEngineering out of houston but last time i checked the company closed its doors. I should be getting a monster clutch within a month or so. Would yall suggest to wait for the clutch install and see what times the car posts at the local track before assuming the cam is to blame. I know 1 7/8 longtubes are a little big for a bolt on LS6 but i doubt the large primary tubes are responsible for the minimal torque gains. Ive seen other C5Z's with the same setup but with smaller or bigger cams posting way more torque than me.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is not anything wrong with that cam (as far as specs go). You do not say your hp or what rpm. I had the same headers on my 02 z with 3 in exhaust and no cats and it ran really strong. I would look at basics, and make sure all mech. specs are correct. Pushrod length? Are the valve springs any good...compression...vacuum leaks. If everything is good that car should make 450 hp. Personally I like high rpm hp...especially in a z06. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
There is not anything wrong with that cam (as far as specs go). You do not say your hp or what rpm. I had the same headers on my 02 z with 3 in exhaust and no cats and it ran really strong. I would look at basics, and make sure all mech. specs are correct. Pushrod length? Are the valve springs any good...compression...vacuum leaks. If everything is good that car should make 450 hp. Personally I like high rpm hp...especially in a z06. Good luck.
Well my last dyno tune upped the power from 400Hp to 410HP and 353 lbft tq to 373lb tq. It hit 410hp right at 6500 and 373 lbtq right at 4700 rpm. Its A/F ratio was at 12.83 . I had the last shop check everything and only had to replace a o ring on the oil pump and install new LS7 lifters and High Volume oil pump. They took out the cam and inspected for flat spots, checked pushrod straightness and made sure it was correct length which are 7.4's, put new valve stem seals, mads sure the dual valve springs were not cracked and etc. So the car is running mechanically strong with no problems at the moment. Im just mind boggled on the low torque numbers.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1balt
Well i cant seem to get my scanner to work so i cant post up the dyno graph yet. But ever since i received the car back from its last tune, i havnt been able to take it to the track due to the stock clutch not holding up. Normally once a C5 Z06 starts to make over 400 Hp to the wheels, the clutch wont hold up. The car does feel powerful up top on the rpm band, but it just doesnt feel like much of a head snapper. I normally run the car with Hoosier drag radials as well. I tried doing a search on other forum members with the same cam but not much luck. The cam is originally from HorsePowerEngineering out of houston but last time i checked the company closed its doors. I should be getting a monster clutch within a month or so. Would yall suggest to wait for the clutch install and see what times the car posts at the local track before assuming the cam is to blame. I know 1 7/8 longtubes are a little big for a bolt on LS6 but i doubt the large primary tubes are responsible for the minimal torque gains. Ive seen other C5Z's with the same setup but with smaller or bigger cams posting way more torque than me.
If your clutch is starting to slip that would give lower TQ.
IMO, wait and see how the car does with the new clutch first.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

read Patrick-G thread on cam/heads.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:46 AM
12 Second Club

ls7 clutch picked up 10+rwtq for me with the heavy flywheel from the slipping stocker
Old 03-10-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-do-heads.html
Old 03-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the link, maybe now i can have hopes of achieving better numbers once i get heads in the near future. I guess i gota be patient then. Those were damn good numbers especially being a reverse split cam.