Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is this? i want it gone!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You wont be able to convince some people that some emissions equipment simply makes the engine run more efficiently and efficiency and power are not mutually exclusive. whatever. Take your egr off. You wont make any more power at all doing so.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

now really how much fuel economy will doing this REALLY loose? has anyone ever found out? what, a couple gallons? WOW! I dont really think most people who mod their cars car much about a few gallons.

I will remove it when the time comes and not look back. I want it out cause it clutters the **** out of my engine bay and theres no use for the clutter cause i like working on my own stuff and its pointless to have to move all that ****!

I took all the crap off my IROC and loved being able to work in there!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It will throw a code if removed. U can remove the egr valve and line going to the intake. All this has to be done anyway when removing egr or upgrading to ls6 intake. A tune will correct any codes thrown
If u plan on keeping the stock intake.
A parts store 1 3/8 brass or steel freeze plug can be tapped squarely in place with large socket. Tap in place about .125 minimum. Seals perfectly no leaks if done correct. This was like one of my first mods on a ls1 intake back like in .99'
Old 03-25-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lol site cracks me up sometimes, a lot of smart people on here but a lot of rude people also, can't we all get along lol
Old 03-25-2011, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

For the most part, people here seem to be nice. Zilvia has some arrogant haters over there. I just don't get it sometimes. Dude posted on the wrong section and now people want to lynch and debate the need for a system that even the factory deleted. If it's for asthetics remove it and tune the code out and enjoy what your looking for: a less cluttered engine bay.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Be aware some states require all emissions equipment stay installed to pass inspection. Might want to check on yours before yanking it all off.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by COPO9560
Be aware some states require all emissions equipment stay installed to pass inspection. Might want to check on yours before yanking it all off.
Emission controls are federal law, not state. Some states inspect while others don't.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
For power, yes, but for fuel efficiency?

More oxygen means that more fuel needs to be added, but if unburned fuel is recycled, then would it not mean that less fuel needs to be added?
Well your theory would be kind of correct if thats what was happening here but "unburnt fuel" is not what is being re-entered into the intake. The whole EGR purpose was to put exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber during crusing in order to take up room with "dead" air which in turn would lower combustion chamber temperature and in turn would lower the Nox Emissions. (nitrogens of oxides).

OH and I wasnt trying to be rude to the OP but honestly If you take some time and read this forum there are tons and tons of stickies and first mod sections that cover removal of EGR/AIR/LS6 intakes etc.. etc... you dont even have to search just look through the forums. Have fun and enjoy your stay.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Gotta learn some how. As a newbie I can say I post where I think I am going to get an answer. There is more traffic in the forums specific to engine model.

K
Old 03-26-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brow318
Gotta learn some how. As a newbie I can say I post where I think I am going to get an answer. There is more traffic in the forums specific to engine model.

K
Well being a good newb would mean doing a lot of reading. Look here https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...newbie-tech-4/
all the yellow threads (which are "stickies") should have more than enough info to answer questions like the OP had here.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:00 AM
Teching In

the best way to plug that hole is to install an LS6 intake. thats what i did lol
Old 03-26-2011, 01:13 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mart00SS
Well your theory would be kind of correct if thats what was happening here but "unburnt fuel" is not what is being re-entered into the intake. The whole EGR purpose was to put exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber during crusing in order to take up room with "dead" air which in turn would lower combustion chamber temperature and in turn would lower the Nox Emissions. (nitrogens of oxides).
You were close real close but read down to see the whole how and why. Oh yeah and no internal combustion engine is 100% efficient so there is always unburnt fuel in the exhauset of ANY internal combustion engine and according to the writeup it does improve fuel economy.

The purpose of EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) is to reduce the NOx emissions. Air is mainly made of oxygen and nitrogen (O2 and N2). At temperatures above 1300°C (2372°F), these molecules split apart and rejoin with each other to make nitrogen oxides (like NO, NO2, etc...). The nitrogen oxides contribute to smog formation.
EGR puts a portion of the exhaust gas back into the intake manifold, so it mixes with the fuel and air. (Note that the exhaust adds to the fuel and air; it doesn’t replace any of it). The added mass in the cylinder is harder to heat up, so the combustion events have lower peak temperatures. The lower temperatures prevent the O2 and N2 from splitting and combining. Even though the exhaust is hot, about 600°C (or 1112°F), it's much cooler than the 1300°C required to make NOx.
In summary, the exhaust adds mass, increasing the heat capacitance of the mixture (i.e. making it harder to heat up the mixture in the cylinder). Peak temperatures are lower, reducing NOx formation, which ultimately reduces smog in the environment.
The reason EGR improves fuel economy is because it reduces the engine's pumping losses. For the cylinder to move down on the intake stroke, the piston is working against the intake manifold vacuum. Another way to say it is that the vacuum above the piston tries to prevent the piston from going down. EGR increases the mass in the intake; more mass means higher pressure, or less vacuum. Now the piston has less resistance during each intake stroke, which results in better gas mileage.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:32 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by brow318

K
Hence the comment I was agreeing with the the very beginning:

Originally Posted by Mart00SS
I feel like there should be a minimum threads viewed requirment before people can post in any sections other than the intro forum.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya true, when I first joined and got my car I rear thru ever sticky there was
Old 03-26-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by remauto1187
You were close real close but read down to see the whole how and why. Oh yeah and no internal combustion engine is 100% efficient so there is always unburnt fuel in the exhauset of ANY internal combustion engine and according to the writeup it does improve fuel economy.

The purpose of EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) is to reduce the NOx emissions. Air is mainly made of oxygen and nitrogen (O2 and N2). At temperatures above 1300°C (2372°F), these molecules split apart and rejoin with each other to make nitrogen oxides (like NO, NO2, etc...). The nitrogen oxides contribute to smog formation.
EGR puts a portion of the exhaust gas back into the intake manifold, so it mixes with the fuel and air. (Note that the exhaust adds to the fuel and air; it doesn’t replace any of it). The added mass in the cylinder is harder to heat up, so the combustion events have lower peak temperatures. The lower temperatures prevent the O2 and N2 from splitting and combining. Even though the exhaust is hot, about 600°C (or 1112°F), it's much cooler than the 1300°C required to make NOx.
In summary, the exhaust adds mass, increasing the heat capacitance of the mixture (i.e. making it harder to heat up the mixture in the cylinder). Peak temperatures are lower, reducing NOx formation, which ultimately reduces smog in the environment.
The reason EGR improves fuel economy is because it reduces the engine's pumping losses. For the cylinder to move down on the intake stroke, the piston is working against the intake manifold vacuum. Another way to say it is that the vacuum above the piston tries to prevent the piston from going down. EGR increases the mass in the intake; more mass means higher pressure, or less vacuum. Now the piston has less resistance during each intake stroke, which results in better gas mileage.

Its exactly what I said but I said it in 2 sentences. Improved gas mileage due to less vacuum against the intake stroke? wow, really splitting hairs here. Maybe that will increase your fuel mileage by .00001% but I dont buy it. I think I could save more fuel by being less aggressive with the pedal or maybe driving with the windows up rather than down.

What would you say to the engine being more efficient with a cleaner a/f charge in the cylinder while cruising. Producing more usable energy with less demand from your foot... The EGR is not forced into the cylinders its introduced into the intake and drawn in by each cylinder so therefore you will get less oxegen in the cylinder and less burnable air, producing less power at crusie per the same amount of volume being drawn into the intake. The cylinder will only allow what the head will flow into the cylinder. If whats in the intake is part fresh air and part Exhaust gas you WILL get less fresh air (02) into the cylinders.

Nice theory you copied from somewhere though... All the NOx info seems to be accurate.

Last edited by Mart00SS; 03-26-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by crainholio
I suppose most of us have been doing it wrong, according to this. Burying your nose in books, reading, researching...such a waste.

We should have just wandered around the university asking questions instead. "What's a differential equation?" "What's an antigenic determinant?"

Antigenic determinant: The portion of an antigen molecule that determines the specificity of the antigen-antibody reaction.

Differential equation:
A differential equation is a mathematical equation for an unknown function of one or several variables that relates the values of the function itself and its derivatives of various orders.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wer did all the professors come from?
Am I in rite forum.

Me go back to nudi sites now
Old 03-26-2011, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PSnewbie
Antigenic determinant: The portion of an antigen molecule that determines the specificity of the antigen-antibody reaction.

Differential equation:
A differential equation is a mathematical equation for an unknown function of one or several variables that relates the values of the function itself and its derivatives of various orders.

I can has degree now?
Old 03-27-2011, 12:48 AM
Staging Lane

All your's, now give the guy a break, 'kay?

Quick Reply: what is this? i want it gone!