Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY crank pulley installation tool?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DIY crank pulley installation tool?

I have seen it mention that some people use a long bolt with a large nut and washer to press the crank pulley back on. I haven't been able to find what type of bolt has been used to do this and hoped someone could fill me in. I have a hardware store with a great selection of nuts and bolts, so if I knew what to get, I could get that sucker back on!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

I "cook" the pulley for about 10 minutes in the oven at 150 (don't want to melt the rubber) so it expands just a little. Then I use the original crank bolt to press it on. Once it's on, remove the crank bolt and get your new one and follow your spec to stretch it in place.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

what I did was get a threaded rod and cut it. just make sure the rod is doulbe the length of the bolt. get two washers and a nut. hope this helps some...
Old 04-11-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a tool I made ill do twenty shipped on it if you want pics pm me
Old 04-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Teching In

i just used the old crank bolt..... pressed it in then put the new bolt in and torqued it down to spec. no tool needed.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 214 Likes on 104 Posts

Buy the following parts from McMaster.com and make 2:

99055a239 - M16 x 2.0 300MM in length ($13.60)
92497A600 - Nuts M16 x 2.0 Pack of 10 ($8.14)

Cut the threaded rod in half, weld 1 nut to the end of each piece, install a 2nd nut and use some washers as well. I can add a pic of this tool this evening.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 912 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by the SS show
i just used the old crank bolt..... pressed it in then put the new bolt in and torqued it down to spec. no tool needed.
please don't pass the info along to people. I'm glad it worked for you but it's just a bad idea.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
please don't pass the info along to people. I'm glad it worked for you but it's just a bad idea.
really? i have have used that technique everytime i took the balancer off and never had a problem. thats actually the way i was told to do it the first time i had to take it off. if thats bad advice then the OP should not do it. the procedure i always used was actually found on ls1howto.com
Old 04-11-2011, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

please explain why its a bad idea?
Old 04-11-2011, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cowboysfan
please explain why its a bad idea?
There is a possiblity of damaging the threads in the crank. If you use a stud and nut, the only risk of damage is to the stud.
I've done it with a bolt as well but it IS a bad idea. As cheap as a stud, nut, and two washers is it is just silly to risk damaging the crank threads. Just lube the stud threads with some anti-seize for help.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bb5401000
There is a possiblity of damaging the threads in the crank. If you use a stud and nut, the only risk of damage is to the stud.
I've done it with a bolt as well but it IS a bad idea. As cheap as a stud, nut, and two washers is it is just silly to risk damaging the crank threads. Just lube the stud threads with some anti-seize for help.
My bad.
I just read to who you were refering too. your right!! if the pully doesn't go in far enough then yes the threads could be damaged.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

I recently made the same tool with the McMastercarr parts listed above in this thread.
It worked wonderfully, I didn't have to heat, beat, persuade, oil, grease or anything else with the tool. I started the pulley by hand to get it straight, probably an 1/8" on, then the tool did the rest. It slid on with very little resistance and was on there tight.

Make the tool, you'll be glad you did and you won't have to worry about ruining the threads in your crank.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The GM Service Manual shows a thread/nut style tool.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

Really? I've never seen it done any other way.

Learned something new.

Last edited by rncotton; 04-11-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 912 Likes on 652 Posts

I apologize if I came off rude in my post. I really didn't mean too. I should have worded it better. There has been countless posts on here about people destroying the threads in their crankshaft trying to use the old bolt to pull it on.

There are several tools out there to do this but the easiest/safest way is to get a long piece of all thread, several this washers and a nut. Make sure you put some antiseeze on the outside end where the nut will be. Screw the all thread as far into the crank as you can and pull it on the crank.

I just don't want anyone to have to go through trying to repair the threads in the crankshaft.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bb5401000
That makes sence. Thanks for explaining that. That will be the last time I do that.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Launching!

I'm with liljay....

when I installed my UD pulley...I was told just heat it up in the oven and it'll slide on like butter....well they lied!!! It barely got on but the stock bolt still wasn't long enough to reach. I put a board across the face of the pulley and started hitting it with a hammer....I got enough to barely get it threaded and then the bolt popped...like I stripped the very first thread...I about crapped myself. I then pulled out the board and hammer again and hit it until i couldn't lift my arm....by then I could only get 3 threads into the crank. I'm praying the whole time and thankfully God loves me cause those 3 threads held and I was able to get it on.....but i will NEVER EVER do that again! I never even thought about the threaded rod and nut....I wish I had thought of that.

So yeah...don't use the stock bolt to pull the pulley on....you'll have a heart attack at best and at worse need a new crank!
Old 04-12-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used one of these: https://ls1tech.com/forums/album.php...pictureid=5971
One of the best tools ever made.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 98_TA_EMLC
I'm with liljay....

when I installed my UD pulley...I was told just heat it up in the oven and it'll slide on like butter....well they lied!!! It barely got on but the stock bolt still wasn't long enough to reach. I put a board across the face of the pulley and started hitting it with a hammer....I got enough to barely get it threaded and then the bolt popped...like I stripped the very first thread...I about crapped myself. I then pulled out the board and hammer again and hit it until i couldn't lift my arm....by then I could only get 3 threads into the crank. I'm praying the whole time and thankfully God loves me cause those 3 threads held and I was able to get it on.....but i will NEVER EVER do that again! I never even thought about the threaded rod and nut....I wish I had thought of that.

So yeah...don't use the stock bolt to pull the pulley on....you'll have a heart attack at best and at worse need a new crank!
I'm sure your crankshaft thrust bearing loves you for doing that.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can also buy a inch longer bolt from the WS6 store,I made my own tool with the above mentioned threaded rod.

Quick Reply: DIY crank pulley installation tool?