Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I do a Stock Rebuild or Not? 99 Z28 LS1

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Should I do a Stock Rebuild or Not? 99 Z28 LS1

I had a previous thread concerning a blinking SES light. Since then and while working on that issue new developments have gone really bad.

I wanted to go pickup a few new tools tonight to help with this repair, it was about 5 miles. By the time I got to the store smoke was pouring out the exhaust so thick you really couldnt see a thing. There was crunching, ticking and I thought even a knocking and this incredible amount of smoke. I was sick. I couldnt listen to it and see the smoke I had to shut it down.

Now its in the garage courtesy of a AAA flatbed. I have a super tight budget and it looks like a complete overhaul at 185k miles. Its not like I didn't think this day would come. I just loved driving it so much the miles racked up. She still looks super clean and very stock, that's the way I like my cars stock.

So tomorrow, first thing, I will drain the oil to see what if anything is in the crank case. Then pull the rocker covers and probably the water pump and timing cover. Unless somebody has any better advice. Please stop me if I should do something else. I'm must do this myself, I just cant afford to have it done. I'm gonna go throw-up now.

Thanks for any advise
Robert

Last edited by TeeRod; 04-19-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can pick up a used LS1 longblock for pretty cheap now. That would be the cheapest way to get the car back on the road. Especially if you want to keep it stock and not deal with buying injectors,tuning,springs, ...... It adds up real quick!

I picked up a 02 longblock w/intake, UDP, Cam, etc, with 8k miles off craigslist for next to nothing. I was pricing out getting my shortblock rebuilt and it was almost 2x the price of the longblock.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TeeRod
I had a previous thread concerning a blinking SES light. Since then and while working on that issue new developments have gone really bad.

I wanted to go pickup a few new tools tonight to help with this repair, it was about 5 miles. By the time I got to the store smoke was pouring out the exhaust so thick you really couldnt see a thing. There was crunching, ticking and I thought even a knocking and this incredible amount of smoke. I was sick. I couldnt listen to it and see the smoke I had to shut it down.

Now its in the garage courtesy of a AAA flatbed. I have a super tight budget and it looks like a complete overhaul at 185k miles. Its not like I didn't think this day would come. I just loved driving it so much the miles racked up. She still looks super clean and very stock, that's the way I like my cars stock.

So tomorrow, first thing, I will drain the oil to see what if anything is in the crank case. Then pull the rocker covers and probably the water pump and timing cover. Unless somebody has any better advice. Please stop me if I should do something else. I'm must do this myself, I just cant afford to have it done. I'm gonna go throw-up now.

Thanks for any advise
Robert
Do a comp test and then if it passes maybe a leakdown test to follow. That should tell you evrything you need to know. You might get lucky and it be a bad valve guide or valve seal but with all the knocking you described id bet a ring land cracked and broke. Damn you got me worried I have 173k on mine and dd it 500 miles a week....
Old 04-16-2011, 08:09 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by smg267
You can pick up a used LS1 longblock for pretty cheap now. That would be the cheapest way to get the car back on the road. Especially if you want to keep it stock and not deal with buying injectors,tuning,springs, ...... It adds up real quick!

I picked up a 02 longblock w/intake, UDP, Cam, etc, with 8k miles off craigslist for next to nothing. I was pricing out getting my shortblock rebuilt and it was almost 2x the price of the longblock.
How cheap is next to nothing? those deals arent exactly floating around everywhere.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by smg267

I will look at that. Actually I never go on Craigslist because of the bad press but I have heard others say they have gotten various good deals.

I dream of getting back on my feet and doing a big deal toy car rebuild some day. That is an option Ill take a look at. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
Do a comp test and then if it passes maybe a leakdown test to follow. That should tell you evrything you need to know. You might get lucky and it be a bad valve guide or valve seal but with all the knocking you described id bet a ring land cracked and broke. Damn you got me worried I have 173k on mine and dd it 500 miles a week....
I think you are correct on the ring or the like. It just sounded like multiple things were happening. I was still too bummed to look at it yesterday, just got on my bike and pedalled 20+ miles to think a little. Ill update you Monday. I want to get as much advice as I can before I start.

Don't worry too much although you probably should budget something for 200k. I was farting around trying to MAKE it be something small when in fact had I stopped and faced the music I would have been in better shape. It's a wake-up call for sure. It was just running so strong it caught me off guard and lazy.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
You've got baby miles ... I've got 229,000 + miles .. .. heads/cam (3 sets of heads and 3 cams) and all the bolt ons Z06 intake and ported stock TB making 452/418. It is a daily driver and it is going on its 8th Hot Rod Power Tour in June. (2800 miles round trip) If you take good care of them and maintain them they will last forever. This one has used 1/2 quart of oil every 2500 miles since day one with the oil (Mobil One) being changed at 5,000 mile intervals. The LS1 is a mericle of modern engineering to say the least...
Old 04-18-2011, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Could be a mushroomed lifter.
Definitely pop the intake off.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KnightmareCS
Could be a mushroomed lifter. Definitely pop the intake off.
Thanks, OK, I will. To be perfectly honest I haven't wanted to look at it. I thought could Monday but still too depressed.

Don't you have to plull the heads to get to the lifters?

The rundown from beginning to now is:
  1. I parked it in a parking lot. Went in to a store came out started back up and all of a sudden out of the blue, multiple noises kinda like a bunch of lifters not pumping up at the same time.
  2. After idling (I never gave it throttle) it went to a single tick and an obvious lost cylinder.
  3. I drove it about 10 miles home, during that drive the SES started blinking anytime I was over 30 so I went very slow to prevent that.
  4. I replaced all of the 02 sensors. No help
  5. I replaced plug wires. No help
  6. I replaced spark plugs. No help
  7. I used autozone injector testor. No problem found
  8. Changed the oil and filter. No help.
  9. Drained a quart of oil out, add a quart of Marvel Mystery oil. No help. (maybe louder tick)
  10. Pulled the rocker cover (driver side) found the first rocker from left to right snapped. Replaced rocker with genuine GM. No help.
  11. Tried to drive to Harbor Freight (a cheap place for tools) to pick up a few tools before taking rocker cover and or intake off and by the time I got 4 miles, you couldnt see your hand in front of your face if you were outside. It was unreal. And the noise was disgusting, really bad.
I am back mentally and have a friend who will loan me a car for the duration. what a relief, so tear down will start tomorrow. I cant believe I'm this mature in years and have done this to myself it seems with a comedy of rookie errors.

Last edited by TeeRod; 04-19-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have to get a new motor and you are on a budget buy an lq9 or lq4 6.0. More power and cheaper. You can buy them shipped with a warranty and less than 15k miles for 1,100-1,300$, complete pulls outs.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lemons12
If you have to get a new motor and you are on a budget buy an lq9 or lq4 6.0. More power and cheaper. You can buy them shipped with a warranty and less than 15k miles for 1,100-1,300$, complete pulls outs.
Not bad advice really. Part of this depends on what is salvageable from the current engine. You don't necessarily have to get an LS1 if your budget doesn't allow. Get the shortblock or longblock of your choice.

But I wouldn't say that dropping a stock LQ4 in will give him more power though.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

I just had mine rebuilt at it cost me $4000.00 (Off the street price)
That includes a larger cam, new lifters, valves, springs, LS6 Intake, Pistons, etc...

Last edited by 9911UZ28; 04-20-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Forged pistons?

Intake 300
Cam 350
Push rods 100
Springs 200
Timing chain oil pump 200 iirc

No way I would do that.. lq9.. work Is easy with the motor out, as in pretty much anyone can do it. More power/tq.. cheaper.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Yes forged pistons. I also wanted to keep the LS1 that came with the car. Actually my bill at the machine shop was $3699.20 before the deductions and the intake was $377.00 off of ebay.

But as my wife is the assistant manager at the Auto Parts Store/Machine Shop my real bill was $1645.30. All I had to actually pay for was the parts. At cost +15%

So it was worth it for me to do

I would not have rebuilt it if it would have cost the $4000.00. Just showing the poster the cost of a rebuild vs buying a used engine.

Last edited by 9911UZ28; 04-20-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

killer deal then!