Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam install.. OOHH.. Tell me.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you place the piston at TDC the valve can NOT fall down that far because the piston crown is so close to the deck. If you use the air method be sure to put the vehicle in gear BEFORE you hit it with the air because if the piston is not exactly at TDC the crank could spin from the compressed air pressure. The rocker bolts have locktite under their builtin hex head/flat washers. The locktite takes considerable force to crack, but once the locktite breaks you can almost unscrew the bolts by hand. Use a 3/8ths drive breaker bar and an 8mm socket to pop the rocker bolts loose.

Last edited by eallanboggs; 02-21-2004 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Z
If your engine has less than 50k miles, you can simplify the job by not replacing the timing chain. The risk that the timing chain will fail is probably smaller than the risks and potential problems involved with removing the oil pump.

Is this true, if your changing heads and cam and the car only has 19k, is it really necessary to change the timing chain? I really don't have a problem doing this, but I don't want to get into all of the problems that I've read about with the oil pump and the o-ring.