Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What cam can geta car in the 11's w/a stock stall?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Any video of pulling a 1.5, does it tip toe the LF wheel?

Yeah I was having slight traction issues last time at the track pulling 1.7's on brand new MT DR's. But I need to make a couple suspension modifiacations I think to help with that.
I just looked and don't have any videos of it at the track worth anything, all of them are street racing or my white car at the track. Suspension is set up pretty good and its heavy. I don't think it raises either tire even an inch. My white one raised the left one about a foot. Sadly it was on stock suspension though and being lite it unloaded and spun with shitty mid 1.6 short times. It would have cut mid 1.4s hooking.
I could very easily change my shock setting and I'm sure it would raise them both a good bit but it would hurt my 60'.

Buddies setup...
98 TA 273s FULL (even spare) weight + extra **** in the trunk
pacesetter LTs xpipe 1 chambers before axle
lid
PTC 4000
spare set of rims with 26" et drags
That is it NO other mods... Not a tune, no ported TB, not an ls6 intake, no suspension, nothing.

Cut consistent low-mid 1.6X short times... DA was around 2200 and drove over an hour with little cool down time.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Only vids I really have of the current car, don't know why. And yes, they blow... People and **** camera phones!
Pullied bolt on Cobra... IIRC he was putting down around 440 in this vid.
This was 7.4@93 IIRC mid 1.5 short time.
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...anvsthomas.mp4
1997 camaro.. Ls6 swap ms4 cam PRC stg 1 heads ported 90/90 full exhaust cutout open yank 3600
my car cutout closed full tank of gas
this was the closest race of 3
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...0823091742.mp4

I might have some more vids stashed somewhere... I don't know. LOL I have no idea why I only have 2-3 vids that are complete GARBAGE!!!! Haha
I will have to get some more ASAP
Old 05-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man but I love my dumped duals, although I do have to change my sig.. I sold the Fikse's very recently.... major sadface..

And.. PTC? Not familiar with them..

Lemons12 brought up a good point about the pushrods. Although I think if you are using 799 heads it's not an issue. But LS6 243's use hollow/sodium filled valves that are longer and require different pushrods if used instead of standard valves.

You will want to check that out.
Yea I havent bought pushrods yet but i was planning on doing that with the new heads and cam in the car. I have the tool to measure for that. Most people I think use 7.450 or something but I dont know my valve lengths so ill be safe and measure lol

When i swap cams, is there enough room to leave the condenser in there? I dont want to take it out so I have to get everything recharged and its already cold as ice.

Im definitely going to call ptc. 500 out the door shipped compared to 700+ everywhere is a huge chunk of savings. Are they street friendly? Im sure they will build it that way if they ask for my application
Old 05-04-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
I just looked and don't have any videos of it at the track worth anything, all of them are street racing or my white car at the track. Suspension is set up pretty good and its heavy. I don't think it raises either tire even an inch. My white one raised the left one about a foot. Sadly it was on stock suspension though and being lite it unloaded and spun with shitty mid 1.6 short times. It would have cut mid 1.4s hooking.
I could very easily change my shock setting and I'm sure it would raise them both a good bit but it would hurt my 60'.

Buddies setup...
98 TA 273s FULL (even spare) weight + extra **** in the trunk
pacesetter LTs xpipe 1 chambers before axle
lid
PTC 4000
spare set of rims with 26" et drags
That is it NO other mods... Not a tune, no ported TB, not an ls6 intake, no suspension, nothing.

Cut consistent low-mid 1.6X short times... DA was around 2200 and drove over an hour with little cool down time.
I wan't 1.5-1.6 dammit

Do you know how high your stall flashes out of the hole?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by n.m.racer
Im definitely going to call ptc. 500 out the door shipped compared to 700+ everywhere is a huge chunk of savings. Are they street friendly? Im sure they will build it that way if they ask for my application
You can get cheaper non billet converters from the sponsors on here also. I just prefer PTC. They hit hard out of the hole and are just as efficient. Same price/less/or more and I would still use them.

I think by street friendly you mean do they lock up when they should and not overly loose. They act the way they should. A 4000 is a true 4000, a 3600 is a true 3600, etc. Yank runs a little tight, Vig runs a little loose, PTC runs right on. I don't know enough about Circle D to comment on them so I won't.
You won't be disappointed!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wan't 1.5-1.6 dammit
You want PTC dammit!

1.5-1.6s are simple... 1.4s is where it starts getting aggravating.

Get your suspension dialed in and hooking good and then go from there. If the converter isn't doing the job then get a different one. If you start hooking and cutting the 60' you should, leave it in there.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do you know how high your stall flashes out of the hole?
No sir I do not... I need to get some software and everything but I'm just a little broke biatch!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Veteran

You want PTC dammit!

1.5-1.6s are simple... 1.4s is where it starts getting aggravating.

Get your suspension dialed in and hooking good and then go from there. If the converter isn't doing the job then get a different one. If you start hooking and cutting the 60' you should, leave it in there.
I need to do suspension, right now its stock front struts, crappy monroe rear struts, eibach pro's on the front, and cut stock springs on the back ( one of the eibach rears sank down a half inch or so, they rode like **** anyway )

I have boxed lca's, edelbrock adj panhard, poly tq arm mount, but my shocks springs aren't set up right, and I also have the front sway bar on, so that may be hurting me?

Oh and im not going to be able to say "I wan't PTC" its hard enough to swallow what I paid for what I have. No regrets though I love my converter regardless.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

I need to do suspension, right now its stock front struts, crappy monroe rear struts, eibach pro's on the front, and cut stock springs on the back ( one of the eibach rears sank down a half inch or so, they rode like **** anyway )

I have boxed lca's, edelbrock adj panhard, poly tq arm mount, but my shocks springs aren't set up right, and I also have the front sway bar on, so that may be hurting me?

Oh and im not going to be able to say "I wan't PTC" its hard enough to swallow what I paid for what I have. No regrets though I love my converter regardless.
If I were you I would buy front shocks, qa1s if you an swing them. Then springs.. if you want grab a cheaper rear shock, I think comp engineering is one of the.cheaper 3 ways?

Yank the front sway bar off, brackets and all. The chances you will even be able to tell it is gone is slim. I take all mine off. Just don't take a 90 degree turn at 90mph with skinnies on at the same time.

You could sell that yank used in a day for what you could get a brand new ptc for. Just something to think about if you cant get that 60 nailed down after suspension..

**phone
Old 05-04-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it really doesn't take much to get a decent 60' out of these cars. i was on a 4000 fuddle stall with stock susp except for LCAs off a 1le 3rd gen (they were even cracked through in multiple places) and kenny brown SFCs. no front sway bar. the car would go low 1.6x on unprepped tracks with the stock wheel/tire combo on a 255 drag radial. i did it all over the midwest in different DAs, temperatures, track preps, etc.

i don't understand how no one else can duplicate this. the car was nothing special and my driving was nothing special. i feel like my mom could've done the same thing. the car would go 1.7x launching in 2nd gear for christ sake. granted, i made a TON of passes in the car, i had nothing special.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:02 AM
10 Second Club

Bro give Kenny at PTC a call and have him build you a converter. I promise you won't be dissappointed. Like I said I was cutting 1.46 60ft with a 4400rpm stall and was cutting 1.6x's with just bolt-ons and a 3600rpm stall.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by odarabla
Bro give Kenny at PTC a call and have him build you a converter. I promise you won't be dissappointed. Like I said I was cutting 1.46 60ft with a 4400rpm stall and was cutting 1.6x's with just bolt-ons and a 3600rpm stall.
These arent some inflated amazing DA or stripped out drag car numbers either. His mine and my buddies are all similar sized converters with full weight cars and all cut very similar short times. Ptc makes a bad *** converter!!

He cut 1.46 full weight heads cam
I cut 1.50 with tad bit traction issues full weight heads cam
Buddy cut low 1.6s full weight exhaust and lid 273s ls1 Intake

Not saying you got to go buy one right now. But if you decide the one you have Isnt cutting it.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:33 AM
10 Second Club

These arent some inflated amazing DA or stripped out drag car numbers either. His mine and my buddies are all similar sized converters with full weight cars and all cut very similar short times. Ptc makes a bad *** converter!!

He cut 1.46 full weight heads cam
I cut 1.50 with tad bit traction issues full weight heads cam
Buddy cut low 1.6s full weight exhaust and lid 273s ls1 Intake

Not saying you got to go buy one right now. But if you decide the one you have Isnt cutting it.
To add a little more to it. After I went H/C/I with completely stock suspension I had a 1.49 60ft 10.99@122mph but bent my stock torque arm. After I changed the torque arm to an adjustable BMR, with the rest of the suspension still completely stock I went 1.46 60ft. 10.90@123mph. I've seen other cars pick up 2-4 tenths just from switching to a PTC converter. The really don't advertise their product a whole lot but they don't have to. They make a top quality product and I guarantee you won't find better customer service. If there is any issue with their product they will go out of there way to make it right..
Old 05-05-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Veteran

The fact that it's only about .05 seconds from a 1.6 I can live with. So I just need a hair more power to get there, or slightly better suspension, or just plain better weather, these passes were made in the hottest months in the summer. And I need a little more seat time with this stall. I have only made about 7 or 8 passes with it, and it only dead hooked on 2. I should have been more clear about that. It pulled a high 1.7 60ft with a tad bit of tire spin on brand new 315/35R17 MT DR's. And that was at a track thats generally known for having great prep, it's actually a very new track. But I don't think prep was good that night plus it was very hot and humid.

But all in all, it hasn't hit a 1.6 like I was hoping damnit. I think some 3 ways, no front sway bar and less than 100 degree weather and it will get there.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 05-05-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

The fact that it's only about .05 seconds from a 1.6 I can live with. So I just need a hair more power to get there, or slightly better suspension, or just plain better weather, these passes were made in the hottest months in the summer. And I need a little more seat time with this stall. I have only made about 7 or 8 passes with it, and it only dead hooked on 2. I should have been more clear about that. It pulled a high 1.7 60ft with a tad bit of tire spin on brand new 315/35R17 MT DR's. And that was at a track thats generally known for having great prep, it's actually a very new track. But I don't think prep was good that night plus it was very hot and humid.

But all in all, it hasn't hit a 1.6 like I was hoping damnit. I think some 3 ways, no front sway bar and less than 100 degree weather and it will get there.
What was the DA?

Honestly power iisnt goi.g to help as much as you would think. My buddy added a 228r cam and a tune and didn't pick up much of anything. Picked up a lot of mid and high end but his 60' was not effect that much by it.
If you cut a below acceptable bolt on stall sixty, you will cut a below acceptable cam only sixty. Just makes sense.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:16 PM
10 Second Club

The car still leaves the same, I cut 1.46 60ft in the dead of summer when it was 100 degrees outside and 100% humidity I would just run a little less mph. Instead of running 122-123mph I would run 119 -121mph.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Veteran

What was the DA?

Honestly power iisnt goi.g to help as much as you would think. My buddy added a 228r cam and a tune and didn't pick up much of anything. Picked up a lot of mid and high end but his 60' was not effect that much by it.
If you cut a below acceptable bolt on stall sixty, you will cut a below acceptable cam only sixty. Just makes sense.
Originally Posted by odarabla
The car still leaves the same, I cut 1.46 60ft in the dead of summer when it was 100 degrees outside and 100% humidity I would just run a little less mph. Instead of running 122-123mph I would run 119 -121mph.
Well **** and ****.

Lemons I don't remember the DA and I don't normally check it. Do you have the graph that shows what it would be?
Old 05-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

my car has all the same mods as OP with 3200 stall, ran 12.07@111mph...1.56 60' on stock suspension, all i did was remove front and rear sway bars! i tried to drive a car with 228r cam and no stall in the past, lets just say i had a stall in it less than a week later. you will not like it. quote me.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well **** and ****.

Lemons I don't remember the DA and I don't normally check it. Do you have the graph that shows what it would be?

I'm on my phone so I dony have the link handy.. do you jave the slip? All you need is which drag strip, date, time and it will tell you. Google drag timesda calculator, should find It easily.

Originally Posted by pichee24
my car has all the same mods as OP with 3200 stall, ran 12.07@111mph...1.56 60' on stock suspension, all i did was remove front and rear sway bars! i tried to drive a car with 228r cam and no stall in the past, lets just say i had a stall in it less than a week later. you will not like it. quote me.
You removed the rear?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by pichee24
Was the engine stock internals on the 12.07 pass? I came to the realization to get a stall since my thread is now hijacked in the stall category haha. Im just waiting to get one so I can hop in on the convo.

Still wondering about swapping cams this weekend but not sure if ill have enough clearence with the condenser in the way? Anyone ever leave it in during the swap?

Quick Reply: What cam can geta car in the 11's w/a stock stall?